Proof test.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

dsketcher

Re: Proof test.

Post by dsketcher »

Shiloh Rifle does NOT proof test their rifles. Some collectors want an absolutely UNFIRED rifle.
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:50 pm
CBarnard wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:20 pm When my Shiloh arrives here in the UK it will have to be proofed at the London Proof House before I can take possession, due in next week. I had to have my
38-55 Shiloh proofed two years ago.
It all takes time and money.
Chris 8)
How do they proof a non-production BP cartridge :?: Where does the proof house get the ammo?
That's been the law in the UK for well over 100+ yrs.
IIRC- Pretty much the same law throughout Europe, I believe.
G.
The proof house load there own rounds for proofing, as for a non-production cartridge, I am not sure but they have been going a very long time, it's like stepping back a hundred years or so, the same goes for the Birmingham proof house.
Mustang1

Post by Mustang1 »

I was lucky back 30 plus years to work on the professional side of the firearm business.
My boss at the time was a retired engineer from one of the firearm manufactories, he stated that they proof tested every weapon at about twice the nominal pressure so if a 308 Win has a pressure level of 52,000 CUP then the rifle would be proffed at about 80-100,000 CUP. He also stated that most rifles would withstand 3 Times the nominal pressure before becoming
inoperative.
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

I bought two C Sharps one in 94 45-110 and another in 96 45-70. When I received them inside each box was a 4"x4" target with a bullet hole in it from proof testing the rifle at the factory.
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

How about Weatherby?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

CaptnJack wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 am I bought two C Sharps one in 94 45-110 and another in 96 45-70. When I received them inside each box was a 4"x4" target with a bullet hole in it from proof testing the rifle at the factory.
Did the targets state, 'proof-testing'? :?

G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

A proof test is a structural integrity test, not an accuracy test - they don't even use targets for a proof test, nothing to do with accuracy.
CaptnJack

Post by CaptnJack »

Lumpy Grits wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:50 pm
CaptnJack wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:17 am I bought two C Sharps one in 94 45-110 and another in 96 45-70. When I received them inside each box was a 4"x4" target with a bullet hole in it from proof testing the rifle at the factory.

G.
No, I don't think they did just a target with a bullet hole is all. Most likely to show it shoots. It was proof to me.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

CaptnJack wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:48 pm
Lumpy Grits wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:50 pm

G.
No, I don't think they did just a target with a bullet hole is all. Most likely to show it shoots. It was proof to me.
Real proof testing is a controlled overload with at least 3 rnds fired.
Never heard of a proof test with a target-Makes no sense at all......
G.
BFD

Post by BFD »

Just depends on what sort of proof you want? Proof of accuracy?
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

BFD wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:52 pm Just depends on what sort of proof you want? Proof of accuracy?
Accuracy--Then, I would hope more than 1 rnd is fired on the target. :P
G.
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

for myself 80 proof is fine :D art
Jim Watson

Post by Jim Watson »

The USA does not have proof law or government run proof houses like the Wise Old Countries of Europe. Which are now mostly rationalized under CIP.

We DO have SAAMI which sets "voluntary standards" including proof testing at 30-40% overload pressure.
I don't know if SAAMI members (The which Shiloh is not,) are required to conduct proof testing or not.
Proof test is ONE round of 30% over, followed by inspection to see if anything is damaged.
A repeater may be function tested with standard loads, or not.

I remember seeing new Smith & Wesson revolvers with a burn ring on every other chamber mouth, so they had been fired three times at the factory.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I've done my own "proof" testing when called for. Three muzzle loaders built from scratch and this week a Scott and Son double 14 gauge. I ended up having to de-solder the ribs and separate the barrels to clean up corrosion under the ribs. :( Once the two barrels were cleaned, I double charged each with powder and shot, zip tied them one at time to a long v-block, lit the fuse and ran. Both survived. :shock: I think I woke the neighbors. :lol: Wednesday, I reassembled and soldered everything back together. They ring like a church bell now. :D Just need to finish striking(sanding) everything and then rust browning and acid etching to bring back the damascus pattern. This one has been a learning experience. I've soldered ribs on muzzle loaders before, but never two barrels together. Hey you never know until you try. :D :D :D

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Woody-What type of solder do you use for this?
Gary