Meacham Highwall

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

patchbox

Meacham Highwall

Post by patchbox »

Hi all,
Have a chance to buy a Meacham Highwall chambered in 45-90. It’s in excellent condition- don’t know if it was re-barreled at some point and the current owner does not know. Does anybody know what barrels and barrel steel was used for these rifles?

Regards,
Eric
gunlaker

Re: Meacham Highwall

Post by gunlaker »

I have a catalog that came with one of mine that I bought used from Buffalo Arms. The catalog lists Badger and Ron Smith as barrel sources.

They are very good guns and are the only production rifles I've ever owned that are put together as well as a Shiloh is.

Chris.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Thanks for the info Chris. I will be moving forward with buying this. I’ve wanted a Highwall for quite some time and I couldn’t pass this one up.

Regards,
Eric
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

lets see some pics after you get it!!!
Chris Wilson
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

For sure will post pics. Gotta do the California BS wait 10 days crap. Gotta cool off before I get it otherwise I might go whack that guy I’m holding a grudge against. :lol:
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Chris
Does your catalog mention the twist rate on the .45 cal rifles?
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

patchbox wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:10 pm Chris
Does your catalog mention the twist rate on the .45 cal rifles?
It doesn't but my gain twist one with the RKS barrel ends in 17.5 to one, and the Badger one is 1:18. I've only shot them to silhouette distances, but they both shoot very well with the Buffalo Arms 458535m1 bullet.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

In times of reflection past experiences suggests that some, if not many, rifles are capable of accuracy beyond the abilities to the shooter.

In the final analysis the inherent capability of the rifle may not be fully realized because it is limited by the abilities of the shooter.

The idea of making a silk purse into a sows ear comes to mind.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Here are some pics of the Meacham Highwall - Serial #W0022, Barrel stamped as 45 2.4 MATCH. Seems like it's in fairly decent shape - action is tight.

Barrel is 32" and has scope blocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Few more pics:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Some of the screw heads are boogered up because some booger didn't use the proper size gunsmith screwdriver - or used some cheapo flat blade one from the local hardware store. I'll chuck those up in the lathe and remove the burrs with a fine file, polish to 3000 grit and then re-blue in the bluing tank. Haven't shot it yet.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Looks good! Is that the one that was listed on Buffalo Arms? From the pictures on their site I thought it had been restocked maybe, but yours looks like the original stock. Does it have any cast-off? Both of mine do.

Chris.
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Chris,

Yes, bought it from Buffalo Arms. I’m not noticing any cast-off - if it has it is either a very small amount or my eyes can’t discern any. Looks straight to me. Pulled off the stock and forearm - will refinish both and maybe touch up the checkering. Then polish and re-blue all the screws.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Yep, looks just like a Meacham.

A curious friend wants to know if there are any plans to shoot this rifle? So, just asking.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
patchbox

Post by patchbox »

Yup, I definitely plan on shooting this rifle.