GEMMER - American Classic..

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Todd Birch

Period Engravings

Post by Todd Birch »

Damn Yankee

Those period engravings of the Franklin Expedition ought to lend themselves very well to the engraving of your rifle.

Very sombre, dramatic, in the style of the era. You're creating a treasure; high art in the making. Very exciting!
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

David,

Many thanks, the fit, inlay and stock work was done by Donald Franklin (no relationship to the explorer, but strange still the same). The compass rose / star inlays are really a hard thing to do in wood grained like this. I am looking forward to watching the wood pop out when the final finish is applied. If folks still are interested by then, I'll post the shots.
DavidVanVorous

Post by DavidVanVorous »

GST wrote:I have always admired the J.P.Gemmer's. I still have not figured out how the wiping stick can be long enough to do anygood. Looks like .50/70 would be best with a full crescent butt. Might not hurt too bad.

GST
Dunno but what my #3 Sporter in .45-70 with the Shiloh Crescent is pretty much a pussy cat, close to my 36" barreled .50 cal Hawken when I use my 90 gr 3f loads. Then again my Sharps has the heavy full octagon and weight does tend to mellow the recoil issue out some... ;)

D.
Curmudgeon in Training

"The main proponent for fly fishing is the worm"
McManus.
DavidVanVorous

Post by DavidVanVorous »

Damn Yankee,

So we're looking at an NW exploration-hunting theme using the gent that did the Sharps I gather then?

I like his style, elegant and well done based on the pic. It will be real interesting to see how the engraving comes out and how the final product looks finished.

I assume you have someone selected to build a fine presentation case of comparable quality for this gem?

D.
Curmudgeon in Training

McManus.
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Dave, you have asked a question that could be an excellent thread all by itself. To case, or not to case. I see it as follows:

1. Whereas it is true that there is something special about a rifle being presented in a full kit with all the related paraphernalia. However, I've been at this awhile and in my opinion, a great case makes sense if you have a great place to store it away except for those times when you want to make a big presentation or, in some cases (no pun), actually use it to travel. For storage, many (most) cases are a tough way to go, in fact they can be pure poison. Most materials used to prevent scratches can also hold water and I have seen more than my fair share of ruined finished on fine rifles sitting in equally fine cases. Now there are exceptions, but a rifle stored in a manner that lets controlled air circulate (and that can even be on your wall) is the safest way to go. I know alot of guys that put their rifles away and walk away from them thinking they are long term safe. Best way to go? Use your rifle often and then when storing, open racks, well placed supports, mild dry air and lots of observation and proper oiling and care.

2. When it is time to travel, go strong. I used a welded aluminum case with great protection. I'll never forget that during the bi-centennial (1976) Golden Age Arms produced a $75k Kentucky rifle and sent it out in a tough case. Needless to say, it wasn't tough enough and the rifle was snapped in two at a UPS airport terminal. Sad day. I over do the travel case thing.

3. The Sharps wooden case is a tough case and if the contact points dont hold water (no leather) and are properly screwed down can work well both in travel and for storage. I had to replace the contact points with the right materials and then I keep them routinely oiled.

Right now, no case is planned for this rifle.
boondocker

$$$$$

Post by boondocker »

Obviously, this is one of those moments when, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. :oops:

But, if I could, I certailny would. This craftsmanship is on a par with the work done by the late Ron Ehlert.
Jerry Crawford
Fort Collins CO
Life is too short to drink cheap beer!

2-20-2008 end of an error
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Boondocker, I think you just asked "how much".

Look, the reason Gemmer rifles haven't been produced for many years is that they are the most complicated and difficult variation of the '74. Needless to say, a project like this had to be, not just started by somebody that said they would build one, but somebody that would whole heartedly embrace the project. This project is many years into the process and still has a ways to go.

In a great rifle project, one that inspires, it has to have, in my opinion a theme, a "reason to be" that everybody can relate to and want to see materialize. In this case, original publications were sent to the shop with the passages mentioning the Sharps rifles identified. Before this job started, everybody knew that this was one of those "whatever it takes" commitments...from the metalsmithes, from the stock maker, from the Client. Anything that came up would be dealt with and that the end result would have to warrant the work and cost. Projects like this can be quite an interruption from the normal production schedule. It has to be worth it on every level.

Having said this, a rifle like this would cost 2x the most expensive top end Sharps rifle. And, get ready, the engraving would be significantly more than the whole cost of the rifle. The engraver, a great engraver knows that her/his work makes or breaks a great rifle. When one goes to the Met and sees the Tiffany Winchesters, or the Colt Collection, the guns are great but it is the engraving that seals the deal. Its a huge responsibility, if the engraver is brilliant she/he lays into the steel a story that transcends the physical rifle. Poor design, poor use of space and form, poor execution, wrong technique and it all goes bad.

So why do it? Well, from the shop's perspective its because they can, because they must do this kind of work every now and then to prove to themselves that they can make a great rifle, perhaps one of the best rifles that can be made by anyone anywhere. The shop doesn't get rich making even a rifle as rare as this. They make their money selling many of the more common variants. Some shops realize this and produce fantastic quality rifles, all within a sensible production and purchasing format. Nothing wrong with that. The rifle required doing one-ups all along the way.

From the Clients perspective, it is rarely for ourselves. If it was, I believe, it wouldn't be important enough. In my case, it is for the next generation. Its to support the industry, the shop, the model. Besides, what is more American than a Sharps Rifle? It may be hard to believe, but I buy my clothes at Walmart and my daily driver is a $13k car. But I do have some simply incredible Sharps!

Hoped that helps.
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Update...

We are about to commence engraving. The initial drawings are underway and I hope to share them with you all soon. Here are a few shots showing, amoung other things, the rifle in its completed assembly...all in one shot. That is Barry Lee Hands looking over the shoulder of another Montanian, Lee Helgeland, a member af the American Custom Gunmakers Guild(ACGG), who came by a few days ago and picked up the Artic Sharps for disassembly. You all may remember Lee from the .338 Winchester Magnum rifle stock he created a while back. In any event, Lee is taking the rifle apart so Barry can get to work.

Taking the Artic Sharps out for a walk in Montana. She has got some mass!

Lee begins...

Have a great 4th of July..
DavidVanVorous

Post by DavidVanVorous »

DAMN YANKEE wrote:Update...

We are about to commence engraving. The initial drawings are underway and I hope to share them with you all soon. Here are a few shots showing, amoung other things, the rifle in its completed assembly...all in one shot. That is Barry Lee Hands looking over the shoulder of another Montanan, Lee Helgeland, a member af the American Custom Gunmakers Guild(ACGG), who came by a few days ago and picked up the Artic Sharps for disassembly. You all may remember Lee from the .338 Winchester Magnum rifle stock he created a while back. In any event, Lee is taking the rifle apart so Barry can get to work.

Taking the Artic Sharps out for a walk in Montana. She has got some mass!

Have a great 4th of July..
Roughly how long before you get to see the engraving finished?

D.
Curmudgeon in Training

McManus.
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

A disciplined engraver will usually schedule his larger projects so that they can focus almost exclusively on them. One would be surprised at how quickly a skilled engraver can work. i am actually expecting Barry to get this rifle finished in no more than 3 - 4 weeks, and I would be surprised if he works on it soley. The drawings can take time...the final assembly and finishing takes time as well. Sharps rifles, even those with fittings are a relatively small canvas for an engraver. ITs all about design and execution and Barry has his hands full, as there are big plans for the rifle.
Idaho Sharpshooter

Gemmer Sharps...

Post by Idaho Sharpshooter »

what a beautiful rifle. I can add nothing to that.

Rich
the Idaho Sharpshooter
oldrifleman

Post by oldrifleman »

Beyond Stunning!!!!!!!!
fyrwokr

Post by fyrwokr »

A truly incredible work of art. Have always admired the Gemmer design. Have built a few myself on Sharps actions and Rollers. Unfortunately, for me anyway, some close friend always talked me out of them. Good reason to build another.
Old Rifles, Whiskey and Friends.
DAMN YANKEE

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Thanks to all for the kind words. I'm glad you are enjoying this as much as I am.

Now for some really unusual shots..

First, here are some shots of another Montana legends, Jerry Fisher with the rifle before the big break down for engraving. For those that do not know who this man is, well in the world of custom gun making he is big medicine (at 6' 2" he really is big medicine!).

http://www.fieldandstream.com/article/S ... r-Gunmaker

He really seems to be enjoying the artic Sharps.

Here is a shot of the custom rigs that Barry had to make up to hold the wood work so that he can engrave the silver pieces...nothing about this one was easy...

Barry's world for the next month...

Drawing are coming in later this week, I'll post them if you want to see the early designs..

Should all be desolate, ice barrens, ice locked ships, chains, auroras, etc. etc.
Guncotton

Post by Guncotton »

That truly is a work of art.

How long is the barrel and how much does it weight?