What I’ve learned (so far) about loading for the 45-110

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Bonanza Driver

What I’ve learned (so far) about loading for the 45-110

Post by Bonanza Driver »

There are four main sources advancing my education, to date. The first two are Kenny Wasserburger & Rdnck. They have been invaluable in so many, many ways. Although I have been loading smokeless (gasp) for some time, loading BP in general and 45-110 in particular is sufficiently different that experienced mentors are invaluable. I have read and re-read every post they have made in an effort to “learn how” without re-inventing the wheel. If any proof were needed (it’s not) regarding the benefit of following their advice, it was supplied when my new ‘Quigley’ shot to 2½ MOA the first time out of the box and improved to 1 MOA the second trip to the range. Although they don’t know it yet, they have become my friends. Thank you, both.

I’m not a competition shooter, just a big kid who appreciates fine craftsmanship (thank you Kirk & co.) and enjoys things that go boom! There are some who know 10 times as much! :wink: The final two educational sources have been trial & error. Here’s what I’ve learned, so far;

- Norma brass is great. I bought 100 cases from Huntington (http://www.huntingtons.com/CasesNorma.html)
21123 45 Sharps Basic 2.88" (Bag of 20) 28.98
- On Kenny’s recommendation, I use Goex 1f canon powder. Using 1f In the Pacific Northwet, fouling is not an issue. So far, I’ve shot 20 rounds between cleaning patches and accuracy is still within 1 MOA (assuming I do my part and can actually see the target through the smoke!).
- The Norma cases require surprisingly little trimming but I made the bonehead mistake of trimming the new brass to 2.874” before FL sizing. Don’t do that or you, too will wonder why your cartridge won’t chamber. You’ll then re-measure the case and discover it is now at 2.900”. FL size and [u]then[/u] trim to length.
- Don’t try to adjust your new Buffalo Arms compression die until you are ready to load, or you, too will discover that the case mouth must be properly flared via the expander die to avoid dinging your new, expensive brass!
- My Dillon 550B press works great, although for the 45-110 I revert to ‘manual’ – progressing one shell at a time.
- The folks at Redding were very friendly and helpful with my die selection.

Here’s my load ‘recipe’ – use at your own risk;

1. Full-length size Norma brass
2. Trim brass to 2.874”
3. Prime using Federal 210
4. Flare case mouth just enough to seat bullet and guide BA compression die
5. Drop 108.5 grains of Goex 1f
6. Install BA .060 poly wad over powder column
7. Compress overpowder wad & powder to obtain OAL of 3.658” with Lyman 457132 (0.784 below case mouth)
8. Size Lyman 457132 535 grain Postell bullet to .458” & lube with SPG
9. Seat bullet against overpowder wad **
10. Full-length size completed cartridge a second time to ensure proper chambering

** Run the seating stem in enough so that cartridge is not roll crimped.

Finally, the most important thing I’ve learned is that nothing can compare with the feeling you get when your 8-year old son wants to help Dad cast bullets and load cartridges for the “Squigley”. Ray J got to shoot it for the first time yesterday, too. Talk about a look of wide-eyed surprise tinged with pride! Wow!!

Thank you all for your friendly, informative posts and Merry Christmas, too!

All the Best,
Steve
stillwater

Post by stillwater »

Thanks for posting these results. I also have been using the resources that you have, but really need to learn more the the last two (trial and error). That time thing keeps getting in the way. :?

I had not thought about FL sizing after loading. What made you think of that?

I always read all the posts that have 45-110 in the subject line. Can not seem to get enough, always something to learn!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Bonanza Driver,

Congrats! sounds like you well on your way with this Load. Something I should mention is that some folks if compression is giving a bulge in the case you can compress the powder first and then put in the wad. You will have to allow for the extra .060 thickness of the wad be aware of that. Sometimes the poly wad will do that when compressing the charge with that much compression. You should only then have to use the FL sizing Die to remove the bell on the case. My self I use only 107 grs of Fg in my Norma Brass as it has a bit less volume then my 348 stuff from buffalo arms. Kirk and I had a conversation on the phone the other night and he mention some of the BA stuff he got was VERY THIN.

Now for the Warning!!!!!!!!!!!!! You have a rifle and caliber Combo that is very competitive in a long range or buffalo gong match. I hope you take the chance to find out some time. As the 45-110 with Fg load is Very Competive!

Good luck and again glad to have been of some small help.

Kenny Wasserburger

We dont need no stinkin 45-90 we have a 45-110.

Kenny Wasserbuger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
BuckeyeShooter

Post by BuckeyeShooter »

Uh Oh Kenny you goin to start something with that 45-90 comment don't ya know.

I'm getting a little concerned about my 45-110 not being here in time to get it shooting properly before May. Going on the middle of December and it's still not in production yet. Kirk may have to deliver it to me in Lusk when he shows up for the shoot.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" -Benjamin Franklin-
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

All 45/110's do is give one a head ache :roll: It'll never out shoot a 45/90 :wink: NEVER :shock:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Gunny

Post by Gunny »

Well, well and well !!!!!

Mr. Roos that is one hell of a damn statement!!! SOOOOOO there is a place that you can prove your point----Now where would that be you ask???

How's about you bringing that 45-90 and I am more than sure that Mr. Wasserburger will have a 45-110 and we can just decide this at the

"Gunny& Kenny Shoot For A Shiloh Challange Match"

That is if you have the balls.

Gunny

P.S. Hope it's o.k with Kirk if I say balls, might be if I only say it once. Whoops!!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting "WOW, what a ride!"
archdlx

Post by archdlx »

Kelley, Kenny!
You guys are makin it harder for me to decide what cal to order!! Had it down to a toss between the 44-77 and 45-90! Then I started readin more of Kennys' posts and thought maybe a 110 would be nice! Now what the heck am I gonna do. I know I gonna have to have one of each, but which first?!?! My heads gonna be sore before this topic is done!! Thanks a load guys, LeRoy.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Kelley Kelley Kelley,

I out shot a few 45-90's up at Missoula!! :lol:

Sides my 45-110 with Fg dont kick no more then that 90 of yours.!
and that blasted 570 gr brick you are shooting! :wink:

See ya at the match!

Kenny W.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

archdlx,

Don't listen to those two, The Gunny(telling me I have no balls :evil: , more on that later :twisted: ,) and Kenny W. Get a 45/90 and don't look back, easier on the head to :wink:

Kenny W. may have out shot a few 45/90's, only it wasn't mine :D :shock: So bring on that 45/110 powder burning, earth pounding head ache machine and lets dance :wink:

Now to you :x , Mr. Gunny- AKA-knuckle dragger, I'll be at that DAM match and with a 45/90, straight black load and all, I'll use my tried and true 45/70 for that DAM grudge match and you better be packing MR. Gunny and I don't mean your luggage for a trip. Want to make a side bet :?: :idea: What say Mr. Gunny :?:

Kelley O.

P.S. Any body want to buy a 50/90 Borchardt :?: I need to finance another project.
Kelley O.Roos
Texas Shooter

Post by Texas Shooter »

Kelley O.

"P.S. Any body want to buy a 50/90 Borchardt Question I need to finance another project."

Please tell me all about your 50/90 Borchardt.................and how much you want for it.

Thanks,

Texas Shooter

Send me a PM if you want.
"Aim Small, Miss Small!"
bubba

Post by bubba »

Hey guys-
I think I've figured out how to settle this.....We'll have a duel! Start 'em out back to back, 500 paces - turn and fire! :lol:
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Hey bubba, works for me :D

Texas shooter,

The Borchardt was a military action when it started life. Jerry Vanwey rebuilt it, the upper tang has been extended with a sight base built in and screwded to the milled out top tang of the action. The barrel is a Krieger 1-22. All related parts are case hardened and the barrel is rust blued. I'll sell the dies, 190 case's, a Paul Jones mould (645g.) and the front sight with the rifle. I've only put two hundred shots down range with it. Selling for 2800.00

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Just to make it real interestin'....Kelley shoots Kenny's gun and Kenny shoots Kelley's gun

Trigger Dr
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

I think that is the best idea yet tr dr
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
Kelley O.Roos

Post by Kelley O.Roos »

Trigger Dr.,

Nope :lol:

Kelley O. 8)
Kelley O.Roos