Creedmoor 1879 What you did not know

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

lefteye

Re: Creedmoor 1879 What you did not know

Post by lefteye »

When it comes to vertical deviations that cannot be explained, my experience as a pilot might just give us a glimpse of insight:
You fly along in glass-like smooth air and all of a sudden, whaaam, it feels like you dropped into a giant pothole. Why? The air direction you had been flying with or against, CHANGES. With that the wings very suddenly lose, or gain, lfting power.
Our bullets, flying way above the wind flags, where we cannot see wind directions or "clear air turbulence", experience the same. When that happens and we had 50 foot tall flags, the lower flag would fly a different direction from the taller.
The answer would be tall smoke signals...

Klaus
keep smiling :D
Old-Win

Post by Old-Win »

Thanks David for the response. I had to dig my book out again and do some rereading. I remembered reading in Chapter 3, p 472 where he writes, " the Any or Match rifle in its present form is a B.L. rifle that must be fired continuously, that is to say without wiping or cleaning between shots; I see he is referring to "present time" which would have been some where between 1882-84. So by then, all muzzleloaders were no longer used. As Kenny said, LR shooting evolved very rapidly during those times.
Bob
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

It was a very rapid process, Walsh's treatment of the American shooters almost leads one too think they never won a single match. History tells a different story, I thought maybe just me seeing a anti-American bias, yet in a 1888 issue of Shooting and Fishing it is mentioned that he did. Walsh's book is excellent yet his treatment of the international matches is just a few abrupt paragraphs.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
boge

Post by boge »

Question: were these fellows buying/casting their allloys or were some shooters supplied say by Sharps & Remington with alloyed bullets if they were shooting their respective rifles? :?
If you live in a country where you can be arrested for fishing without a license, but not for entering that country illegally....then it's safe to say that country is run by IDIOTS!
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Boge,

The 1-14 were supplied by Umc-Sharps Hyde base. The 1-11 Remington but listed both Hyde method and Hepburn patching so some of them must of patched their own, but buying the bullets, few were casting from what Perry was saying.

This book is a gold mine of information.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

In the 1879 Winchester catalog, they list the 2 long range loads for the 44-90 bn, and the 45-100 sharps special as being loaded with a 11-1 alloy bullet. At the back of the ammunition section they have a longrange bullet paragraph in which they state they will provide the customer long range bullets in the alloy of his choice in either patched or naked.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?