New Blood..............

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

MLV

Re: New Blood..............

Post by MLV »

By his scores, Jim couldn't be accused of shooting not to mention casting!
MLV
Beware the man with one rifle. He may not have enough interest in it to be competent!
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

Ted Tompkins wrote:Wayne,
Kidwell didn't clean it up, he hasn't used it yet.
Ted
Don't you have some peat moss to package or something??????????????
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Jim Kidwell

Post by Jim Kidwell »

MLV wrote:By his scores, Jim couldn't be accused of shooting not to mention casting!
MLV
And don't you have some shooting advertisements to write about???????????????
....................................Jim
You are a ghost driving a meat covered skeleton made from stardust riding a rock floating through space.
Fear nothing. (anon)……………………
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

Something I want to add; when you have bullets that won't fall out of the mold on one side check the bullet when you get it out and look for a scuff mark on the sticky side parting line.
I've had a couple of custom molds that were not bored on the center of the block leaving one side going over center and capturing the bullet.
All the casting tricks in the book will never get bullets to drop out, if that's the situation, and returning it to the maker is the only recourse.
I have a lot of molds but the all time best one for speedy casting is a Saeco 740 that I use for silhouette in my 40-65.
The bullet is on the towel before I can open the mold all the way and I can produce 100 per hour with the weights under 1-grain.
S Rhoades
AZ.
PS Kidwell. What exactly are you retaining anally? :shock:
FOUNDER OF THE BRENT DANIELSON FAN CLUB
Woody

Post by Woody »

I don't even know how to enter this thread after the last couple of posts. I think I'll sit this one out.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

Jim,

I'm really surprised at how you cobbled up a casting station just for that picture. Obviously not used, because even the most anal caster gets a little bit of lead spread around... It looks like mine before I upgraded.

I have a stovetop hood that vents nicely through a real vent hole (not an open window). I adopted Mike's fan idea with an old bathroom exhaust fan, and I really like how it cools the sprue. I also have a clock with a second hand on the wall, and use it to cast at a consistent speed.

Clarence
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

He is anal, I loaned him my seater tool and this is what I got back.

Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
baldhead9

Post by baldhead9 »

Thanks for the help. I slowed down my casting speed and the bullets just dropped out. Now have to find more time for casting. Again thanks for the tips

Smitty
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

One thing I have found that can help. To get'em to drop out, is to 'smack' the closed mould(after you cut the sprue)with a wood hammer handle. That bit of vibration seems to aid the bullet's release from the mould half's -
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
RonJ

Post by RonJ »

baldhead9 wrote:Ok I have a casting question. New BACO 545gr money paper patch mold, the bullet will stick to the right mold half 9 out of 10 times, 16-1 at 700 deg. I wait about four seconds after the puddle frosts before cutting the spruce, cleaned the mold with brake cleaner and a tooth brush and also preheated the mold on a hot plate before casting. The bullets look good when they do drop.

thanks

Smitty
Try this. When the mold is cooled to room temp and clean of lead, kroil, and all else:
apply a coat of 'cold blue' to the entire mold inside and out. You will find that this lays a protective
coat overall and helps resist the stickiness and tendency of the lead to plate out on the interior flat surfaces of the mold. Release of the bullet is much improved.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

RonJ wrote:
baldhead9 wrote:Ok I have a casting question. New BACO 545gr money paper patch mold, the bullet will stick to the right mold half 9 out of 10 times, 16-1 at 700 deg. I wait about four seconds after the puddle frosts before cutting the spruce, cleaned the mold with brake cleaner and a tooth brush and also preheated the mold on a hot plate before casting. The bullets look good when they do drop.

thanks

Smitty
Try this. When the mold is cooled to room temp and clean of lead, kroil, and all else:
apply a coat of 'cold blue' to the entire mold inside and out. You will find that this lays a protective
coat overall and helps resist the stickiness and tendency of the lead to plate out on the interior flat surfaces of the mold. Release of the bullet is much improved.
You had better oil that mould for sure after the blue'n.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"