40-82?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: 40-82?

Post by semtav »

bpcr shooter wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:51 am How much powder are you using in that 40-82, and what are you using for fouling control? Last fall I used dads and in the Aug heat it got really bad fouling. I was using a 2 felt bore pig, this year we switched to a 3 felt but, have yet to try it, maybe this weekend as it supposed to be nice n warm.

matt

Using 83 gr Swiss 1.5
I've been using a homemade borepig with 2 felts and straight water followed by a dry patch. It's easier to deal with when I'm only shooting a small amount of shells each outing.
Probably gonna have to do something else if I ever get back to shooting in hot weather.
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

Glad to see this revised. I am looking forward to some off time in June to provide additional input of my load devolpment for my 40-82 Crossno on a '74 Sharps with a DDPP and 14 twist. Has shown great promise at 200m. That is with 80gr 1 1/2 swiss with OAL at 3.692" , .50" compression. 420gr bullet of my on design seated out to lands.

HG
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I wish I had the ability to help you arrive at a balanced load for that rifle Matt.
Just guessing, it seems like something is out of sync between what the rifle requires and the load provides.
And you being the third element in that equation, required for a solution, the ball is in your court to find out what the rifle requires to provide you with the results you desire.

Good luck
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

desert deuce wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:40 pm I wish I had the ability to help you arrive at a balanced load for that rifle Matt.
Just guessing, it seems like something is out of sync between what the rifle requires and the load provides.
And you being the third element in that equation, required for a solution, the ball is in your court to find out what the rifle requires to provide you with the results you desire.

Good luck
It does really well.....until it gets hot. having a 34in barrel isnt helping either. Having a lot of powder, 87-88gr down a 40cal hole is a lot!
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

semtav wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:27 pm
bpcr shooter wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:51 am How much powder are you using in that 40-82, and what are you using for fouling control? Last fall I used dads and in the Aug heat it got really bad fouling. I was using a 2 felt bore pig, this year we switched to a 3 felt but, have yet to try it, maybe this weekend as it supposed to be nice n warm.

matt

Using 83 gr Swiss 1.5
I've been using a homemade borepig with 2 felts and straight water followed by a dry patch. It's easier to deal with when I'm only shooting a small amount of shells each outing.
Probably gonna have to do something else if I ever get back to shooting in hot weather.
Ok I will try and keep you posted on what works for us...if we find a solution, incase you run into the same issues.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member