40-82?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: 40-82?

Post by semtav »

Now where was I before I was so rudely interrupted ???? Oh yea, shooting a 40-82.

I went back out this morning to test a couple primers.
First was the GM155M that worked so well with the GG load in this rifle.---Still a lot of vertical (Top picture, lower group.)
Second was the GM150M. had a real good group of 3 going til i accidently touched one off just as I was getting into the sight. So I quit.

Then Decided to see what different alloys would do.
Using the GM155M primers, I cast a few in 12.5-1 and 20-1
The 12.5 got me under a 2moa vertical with strong gusty tailwinds, but the 20-1 wasn't even worth finishing.

Think I will go back with the 12.5-1 and the GM150M and see what I get.

OK, carry on with your anti PP discussion :P

Oh one thing I forgot to mention about flyers. as I was loading the second group, I realized I hadn't checked the case lip for peening on these and sure enough some had a sharp lip. maybe what was causing the flyers. Shells hadn't been used for almost 10 years.

40-82 primer test.jpg
40-82 alloy test.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

40-65rl wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:41 pm Deuce
See ya At Byers, Smithmoor and Cheyenne for sure.
Not unless the old bugger springs some of tha moulds money out of his overall pockets and gets a pickup with less than 300k miles on it
Last tome he was in Byers it took two trips to town and some skinned knuckles on the mechanic to get him headed home
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

40-65rl wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:41 pm Deuce
See ya At Byers, Smithmoor and Cheyenne for sure.
Not unless the old bugger springs some of tha moulds money out of his overall pockets and gets a pickup with less than 300k miles on it
Last tome he was in Byers it took two trips to town and some skinned knuckles on the mechanic to get him headed home
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

brian,
how dare you shoot a good group with a harder alloy than the prescribed 16:1 alloy. :shock: :wink:
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

"...one thing i find using pp ammo is that ammo is one thing not on my mind, leaving room to focus on mariah."

Ah, yes, "They call the wind Mariah".

For those Not-In-The-Know -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByqYEzugleE
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
semtav

Post by semtav »

bruce m wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:05 pm brian,
how dare you shoot a good group with a harder alloy than the prescribed 16:1 alloy. :shock: :wink:
bruce.
Yea, I was kinda shocked. My go to alloy for the Groove dia bullets but I thought 20 would fill the barrel better.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

when i started bpcr, if you shot harder than 20:1 you had the plague.
a lot of guys used 30:1.
i suspect this came from the history of breech seating greasers in scheutzen, which took over from long range shooting.
then dan theodore started promoting 16:1, and had a hard battle to convince people.
in retrospect 16:1 was not that radical, as 45/70 mil ammo used that.
the forums all thought that it would not bump up for bore dia bullets and that was the end of it.
we have in the meantime discovered many general writings that clearly state use of 10:1 to 14:1 was what worked for bore diameter pp bullets in long range shooting, and the brits also used harder bullets for same.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

bruce m wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:53 pm we have in the meantime discovered many general writings that clearly state use of 10:1 to 14:1 was what worked for bore diameter pp bullets in long range shooting, and the brits also used harder bullets for same.
bruce.
You probably shouldn't say that too loud. DD might suddenly realize why his PPing failed all those years ago and try it again.
Think how intolerable he would be with a good PP load !!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

That's it, poke the Bear, poke the Bear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

p
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I have a suspicion that I may know what Brian's vert problem is related to, BUT, think I should let him work it out. :mrgreen:

Cheeky creature and all should be able to figure out those random shot patterns. :roll:

As for the Little Black Duck, he probably knows already just isn't saying.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Sure could be. Tends to be worse with the 40 cal guns. Maybe the lack of recoil makes one lackadaisical compared to shooting a 45-110.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

semtav wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:28 pm
bruce m wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:53 pm we have in the meantime discovered many general writings that clearly state use of 10:1 to 14:1 was what worked for bore diameter pp bullets in long range shooting, and the brits also used harder bullets for same.
bruce.
You probably shouldn't say that too loud. DD might suddenly realize why his PPing failed all those years ago and try it again.
Think how intolerable he would be with a good PP load !!
he would not be intolerable, because he is not that kind of guy.
he would find though that he has been doing it tough all these years with greasers, and that life just suddenly got easier.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:38 pm I have a suspicion that I may know what Brian's vert problem is related to, BUT, think I should let him work it out. :mrgreen:

Cheeky creature and all should be able to figure out those random shot patterns. :roll:

As for the Little Black Duck, he probably knows already just isn't saying.
the little black duck has mainly shot long range with fullbore and fclass shooters out of necessity.
they have a rule that 2 consecutive misses and you are off the range.
the duck had to learn to get those first sighters on the target, or he might well have gone home with a quivering bottom lip.
he has always felt that good vert is the kichoff point for long range, then apply that to mariah.
his groups are always wider than deep, giving room to make better acquaintance with mariah.
once pp started to work, it has proven absolutely reliable.
as has spending time and money working on twist vs bullet length and drag, and alloys.
very 1st pp trials were scarily bad.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:38 pm As for the Little Black Duck,
One just learns all sorts of nugatory tidbits when jousting with DD !!
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

the deuce is good at storing away bits of knowledge for future reference.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus