40-82?

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

semtav

Re: 40-82?

Post by semtav »

Ahhh
i had to go back a few years to find that!!
semtav

Post by semtav »

Went back to find the original "litle black duck" and found this Gem !!!

http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/viewt ... black+duck

We sure seem to go in circles :lol:

Looks like you originally were a wombat and JB was the Little Black Duck
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Paper Rings, paper rings, don't get no paper rings. Certainly a problem I don't have a need for much less wildly scattered groups.

Didn't Paul Mathews advocate for and use .455" bullets in .458 groove barrels?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:40 am

Could have, I've been using a .454 bullet in a .459 barrel in the 45 2 7/8 that is shooting so well, (no rings)

I was gonna post my mornings target, but I burned it instead.

tweaked my load to perfection this morning and took it out to test it.
Really gusty out, so I wasn't expecting perfection.
Screwed myself down tight and replayed all those vertical stringing issues in my mind that DD so subtly reminded me of.
then I shot the first 4 with 3 in a sub 1moa group and the other just a little out ( did I mention it was gusty out 8) )
And then I remembered the 5th shot syndrome so I really screwed myself down tight and touched the trigger, and nothing--- and then I jerked.

#@$&@ I didn't even want to look at the target !!!!

But now I know I got a good PP load for this gun !! Just need a more disciplined shooter :roll:
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

As Gomer Pyle USMC would say, "Schazaam, Schazaam, what fully expected results!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That old self inflicted mind worm again wiggling between the ears and out the mouth.

As we are incessantly implored to endeavor to persevere we are reminded of lesson one in Long Range Shooting Class.

Professor: In LR-101 the only way to learn how to shoot well in the wind is to shoot in the wind.

Footnote: Shooting in the wind is only as difficult as you the shooter make it. :wink:

Class dismissed.

PS.......just keep pokin' at the bear. Bear loves it. :D
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:40 am Paper Rings, paper rings, don't get no paper rings. Certainly a problem I don't have a need for much less wildly scattered groups.

the big question is, "is anything paul matthews ever said worth 2 nobs of goatshit?"
some of what he said might have been ok.
he sure steered me up the garden path a fair bit in the early days.
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

bruce m wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:05 am
desert deuce wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:40 am Paper Rings, paper rings, don't get no paper rings. Certainly a problem I don't have a need for much less wildly scattered groups.

the big question is, "is anything paul matthews ever said worth 2 nobs of goatshit?"
some of what he said might have been ok.
he sure steered me up the garden path a fair bit in the early days.
bruce.
Agreed!! some stuff was ok and it got me shooting but, as most of us have found, there are many ways to skin a cat
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

My oh my, what on earth would we do without Bruce M and Jackrabbit's artistic applications of the English language? Diminished for sure. Both are truly artists in that field.

While admittedly laboring in the shadow of their greatness I am going to take a shot at perhaps a different point of view as in life's journeys.

With the view that shooting Black Powder Cartridge Rifles in competition is in itself a journey. Don't know about you but reading Paul Matthews it was more or less the story of his journey shared when I finished reading.

Is anyone else's journey the same as Paul's, or anyone else's for that matter? Probably not, however, we all had a starting point and hopefully continue expanding our horizons and learning by direct experience. Paul wrote about his, we write about ours.

All in all sharing direct experience is helpful, especially to those starting off in this sport. Who has not learned from their own efforts what does not work for them and searched for what does here?

Ideally, if there ever is such a condition, we improve. If not we get stuck in one place marking time which may keep us on the path with the opportunity to continue to march toward the goal of improvement yet that also is a personal choice or we end up distracted by other subconscious targets excusing the lack of progress. I call them cobwebs of the mind.

Ernest Hemmingway hinted at something important in his comment about hunting wherein he said that the hunting of men is a pursuit like no other and those that hunt armed men and like it have no taste for any other form of hunting thereafter. (or words to that effect)

Having been there and done that I know that the hunting of armed men requires a progression of experiences that create a range of skills over time that lead to that hunters demonstrated success as well as their survival. (Read about the Selous Scouts in Rhodesian War or early Texas Rangers for examples of this.)

Hypothetically then, who shoots a 40/40 in BPCR silhouette every time they lay down on the mat or a 150/150 at 1,000 yards in BPCR target? No such person exists and probably never will, yet our goal is to shoot to the best our own ability each time we shoot in competition is the goal of many posting here. Yet not all with helpful information shoot competition.

This forum is a compendium of individual experiences then, not so much a bible to be followed rigidly. Some of the posters obviously do not belong here and detract from the quality of input tremendously, some we yearn to hear more from in painful detail.

Such is life. Knobs of goatshit, shreds of paper patch and all.
bruce m

Post by bruce m »

i am sure pail matthews was a nice guy, and also a good writer on a journey.
trouble is that his journey was that of a ship without a rudder.
when it did have direction it was in a spiral.
thank the good lord for the shiloh forum where more meaningful advice can be found.
can't say i have ever hunted an armed human, and hope i never have to. :shock:
he would probably win :cry:
bruce.
ventum est amicus meus
semtav

Post by semtav »

Finally after months of inactivity I was able to break in my "new" gong.

Just don't know what DD is going to use to fill his time without the Landfill to ridicule!! Well I guess there is always my shooting ability and PP bullets !!

Gusty left crosswind until the last shot-- dead calm, Over adjusted that one for the group. (far right hit)

Borchardt 40-82 @ 300 yds with the Dual Diameter PP bullet.

40-82 gong.jpg
The first two shots one with an oily barrel and one clean are th two together in the white. be interesting to see if that trend continues or just a fluke
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

He does seem to enjoy goading those of us who follow the TRUE spirit of BPTR! I've no doubt it will continue. :D
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Now you are getting somewhere Semtav. A proper gong and a reasonable group. Way to go. I knew there was hope. :wink:
Do you think you will be ready for Missoula in August for Long Range?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Ready? Probably.

Able to ? No. Harvest time.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

What does a low flyin' crop duster have to do a harvest time?
semtav

Post by semtav »

That's a long story. Mostly the result of being brain dead a few years ago