Experiment

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny sd

Re: Experiment

Post by kenny sd »

HI Vennison, just joshing ya'
I do experiments with this stuff all the time. with some results I'd rather not talk about :D

we are who we are...huh...Ken
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

This is interesting...I had taken it for granted after reading online and watching shooters I know that I would have to immediately de-cap my brass and get it soaking in a solution in order to neutralize fouling. I got a nice pH testing kit through my smithy and did a couple experiments and was able to hold my pH between 7.5-9.5.

Now I'm reminded of something my friend Tony told me..."black powder shooting is full of voodoo....lots of guys do things for no real reason, it's just always been done that way".....

Now I think that the way to attack this is to take plenty of freshly fired brass (can get that at the range tomorrow), and dump it in a jug of distilled water (previously tested to establish it's pH), and then test the liquid after an hour, two hours, three hours. That should tell us exactly where BP fouling lies on the pH scale, and whether or not soaking brass is even needed.

Aviator's comment above points to the idea that it's not needed, and he has high credibility. Doing the homework could confirm that. Good learning opportunity!
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm so green at shooting black powder that I have no idea what's best, or necessary, so I have to quiz friends who've got far more experience than I have. But my thought on this depriming, and soaking cases was, what can it hurt if I do deprime and soak right away?
So since I have a beautiful re-depriming tool Jerry Cleave built for me that does every cartridge I load for, I simply deprime the cases at the range, and drop them in my old milk jug. My solution is just plain water with some dish soap squirted in it, so nothing exotic. When I get home they might sit for a day or two before running the brass through my wet tumbler with ceramic media.
But I sure wont worry now if it takes me a week or more to get around to cleaning them now either.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

IMO, no good reason to do so.The solution causes the cases to tarnish much quicker, requiring much longer cleaning.
I just keep the cases dry, decap when I have the time, and rinse/ clean them when I have the time. Makes it much easier.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

The best way is the simplest. I just deprime and put into water (you don't need distilled water) with a little dish soap. When it is cold, I take care of the brass when I get home. Do the brass first and occassionally shake the gallon jug while I am cleaning the rifle(s). I brush the inside of the brass then rinse before putting them in my vibratory cleaner. Like someone said, there is a lot of voodoo in the game that is really doesn't need to be. Keep things simple.

George
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Ken, no worries my friend. Back in my single days I did an experiment with some bacon I had in my fridge awhile that smelled only a little off. I won’t post the results but my toilet knows how it went. There is no mostly passing the smell test anymore.

George. Yeah I’ve noticed my brass will turn brown if it hangs out in the water for a day. Typically though I’m not far from range to cleaning so I toss mine in the bucket while I’m cleaning the gun. Just take care of brass and gun all in one go. Once you get it down it’s amazing how much easier black powder is to clean. It’s been a long time since I’ve needed more than 3 or 4 patches total.

For the hunters in the thread who go to deer camps or on longer excursions. Do you guys do anything with your brass in a trip or just clean it when you get home?
—Tom
alfajim

Post by alfajim »

VenisonRX wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:26 am
alfajim wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:10 pm VenisonRX, thanks for your service. Retired Navy airdale AE A-3D's, A-6's, FA-18 legacy. Are you looking or planing to fly with one of the airlines? A lot of our A-6 drivers were with Southwest.
Nice discussion, the sulfur, sulfuric acid thread is interesting spent many years in racing engine shop and learned a lot about acid's and there different uses to clean up blown up or damaged engines.

Jim O
Thanks Jim you too. A bunch of our guys went southwest, fed x, ups, and delta. I was a navigator so the airlines weren’t in the cards for me. I ended up working for CAE instructing in the simulators. Pretty nice gig since I get to be at home with the kids every night. Being gone 10 months a year got real old real quick after my first kid was born. Made coming to this new job a pretty easy decision.
Tom, my son retired in 2018 AMEchief from a F-35 rag squadron VA-125 same one I retired from with FA-18 legacy birds. He went to work with Lockheed Martin as an IT with the VA-147 F-35's didn't want to go out on the carrier again so transfered to the simulators for the F-35. Same reason he transfered.
Woody

Post by Woody »

You will think twice about pre-soaking your brass the first time it spills in the bed of your pickup or even worse, the back seat of your sedan. Don't ask me how I know.

I often de-prime at the range, and usually clean the same day or within a day or two of firing, but it really will not make any difference. Some of the 45-70 Winchester brass I'm still using has been fired continuously for over twenty years. I've lived in dry and wet environs. No difference.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Somewhat amused at the posts by Aviator and Ian.
In an effort to keep up with their activities it seems like their brass does not sit still long enough to get wet, much less corrode. :mrgreen:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

No range trip today, but I am pretty happy about finding out I was probably way wrong on this...Running an experiment with Dave to do the chemical equations will be pretty fun too. I haven't done a chemical equation since 2007, so I definitely need professional help....
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Careful there Johnny V.

Suggesting that you or anyone else on this forum may seek Professional Help might trigger someone reading here. :shock:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Look out!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Tom