Hornady Brass

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

VenisonRX

Hornady Brass

Post by VenisonRX »

Found a couple boxes of Hornady leverevolution or however it’s spelled 45-70 brass. Hating to let brass in decent shape go to waste I’m curious if anyone else has used it for anything. It’s a bit shorter than normal specs because of the pointed bullet which fine for that purpose in a marlin. Has anyone tried it in a shiloh? If so what were your results? Would it be a candidate for the infamous “reduced load” in black powder since the case is shorter or would the resulting free bore give terrible accuracy even at closer ranges (I’m remembering a thread about shooting 45-70 in a 45-110 chamber I saw here a few years ago)

What other useful things could be made from it? Blow tubes? Or do those need to be as long as the chamber will allow? Powder measures? Etc.? From what I understand, 40-65 can be made from 45-70. I don’t own anything chambered in that so correct me if I’m wrong. Is there any trimming involved with that process? If so is it enough where these wouldn’t be too short for that and less trimming would be involved. What other calibers can be made from 45-70 that this stuff might be useful for?

I don’t shoot my marlin really anymore and my friend borrows it for deer season every year so I always seem to end up with a supply of the Hornady brass. Anyways just curious because I hate to throw it away and as always hoping to learn something new or that I never thought about before.
—Tom
Don McDowell

Re: Hornady Brass

Post by Don McDowell »

I like the Hornady component brass but haven’t even around the lever evolution stuff
I am wondering if one of those case stretchers that Buffalo Arms sells might not make the lever stuff usable
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

An 40-70 Sharps bottle neck can also be formed from the 45-70. I don't know but maybe it will stretch enough sizing the case down to 40-70 sb.

Dave
TAA

Post by TAA »

Dave….that would be interesting. The .40 2 1/2 (40-70 SS) case is 2 1/2” long. The .45-70 starts out at 2 1/10”, so quite a distance to stretch/lengthen….but who knows.

Tom
bobw

Post by bobw »

40-70 SBN is a 2 1/4" case longer not shorter. Back in the early 80's the 40-70-2.1 bn was developed (3 different versions with different powder capacities) so as to utilize the 45-2,1" as a parent case. After forming them you are short and they do not need trimming. So if you want to utilize them load them up with flex tips and smokeless and package them with the rifle you don't need sell to the "borrower". Use cash to buy right brass for your needs. bobw
bobw
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

The only use I found for Hornady brass was cutting it down to run through my 45-60 lever gun. Less work than cutting down full length 45-70 brass.

Ever see "Tom Horn" with Steve McQueen?? Great Movie!!! Back in the 1980's I saw that movie and knew right then and there I'd be getting myself a 45-60, and here all these years later I have one. 1876 Italian gun, smokeless is a big risk in these toggle link actions...BP much safer!

"You shot my horse you son of a bitch!!!"
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Is it a pain in the a $$ to clean BP in a lever gun?
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Is it a pain in the a $$ to clean BP in a lever gun?
The only thing that is a pain is cleaning the brass carrier on the toggled link action rifles to keep looking good . I use ‘Fireman’s Friend’ brass polish once in while to clean them up. The brass will darken and is unsightly to me so a little extra time to clean up. My only B/P lever guns are two Win/Miroku 1873’s in 44-40 WCF.
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

The 1876 is just an enlarged version of the 1873. The side plates come right off with a couple screws. The action itself is simple enough to take out and put back together, nothing like breaking down an 1886.

I have an Italian 1873 in 44 special too:..been wanting to try BP in that one for a while now.
Woody

Post by Woody »

All my Winchesters, (73,76,86, and 94), were originally made black, and shoot it very well. Cleaning is no big deal, just place in a cradle with lever up so nothing runs into the action.

The Hornady brass serves no purpose in my rifles.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

Bore-snakes and lever-guns were made for each other (and shotguns). Makes cleaning quick & easy.
Glenn
Coltsmoke

Post by Coltsmoke »

What is the length of the Hornady brass you have? I'm thinking it is long enough to form to 40-65.
Normal isn't coming back, but Jesus is.
arnie

Post by arnie »

I use that short Hornady brass to form 40/50BN. They had two versions of it and the stuff I found first was real thin like Winchester brass and when I ordered some it was heavier like Remington. That's a good recipe for high pressure with smokeless. The thinner brass held more powder and with a 40/50 you need all the room you can get.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I make 40-50SBN or 40-65 Win out of my short 45-70 brass.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT