What to get

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Chief Beck

Re: What to get

Post by Chief Beck »

I ordered my first one back in 1983, a Business rifle, took about 4.5 months, a rifle that "almost never was"! I ordered it in August at our local gun store in Riverside, Ca. It arrived in December that same year. At the time I was a Fleet Sailor leaving on westpac that September of 83. I asked the shop's owner to hang on to the rifle until I returned the following April/May of 1984 he said that would not be a problem. So, the following May I returned, took two weeks of leave and drove down to Riverside to pick up my Shiloh prize! The store owner was surprised to see me and wanted to know what happened to me after I ordered (and paid for!) my rifle and did not pick it up in December, I then reminded him of our previous conversation back in August concerning my military obligations. He said I was lucky that I came in when I did because he had taken the rifle as "abandoned" and had a new buyer coming in that afternoon to take possession! I was pissed off to say the least! In those days there was only two ways to contact someone, pick up a phone or write a letter and put a stamp on it. Since I was on a ship floating in the Indian ocean at the time my rifle arrived a phone call was impossible, and the proprietor said that writing a letter was not his responsibility. Anyway, I got my rifle and still have it 38 years later.

Dennis
"40 knots, no smoke"

"By God Woodrow; it’s been quite a party ain’t it?”
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Heck Kurt, I never had to wait very long at all. Maybe I was just lucky, but I always counted Woldgange a good friend, and I knew most all of the people working there as well. Easy day's drive from here. I never heard of anybody having to wait very long before the Quigly flick. It was after that when things got backlogged.

George
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Don McDowell wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:48 pm Cruise the used gun market for a B serial numbered Shiloh.
I would really appreciate any explanation of what distinguishes a "B serial numbered Shiloh". Are there some serial number ranges to avoid?

BTW, I just checked mine. It is #B9738.

Curly

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
bobw

Post by bobw »

Well Rosco shilohs all have serial numbers. That's all they had " numbers" before the Bryan's bought Shiloh from Wolf. The Bryan's restarted the serial number sequence after they took over. A "B" prefix or a suffix indicates a Bryan built Shiloh. They are built better now than they were when built by Wolf. That simple. .bobw
bobw
CptCurl

Post by CptCurl »

Thanks bobw. I didn't know what conventions applied to Shiloh serial numbers. I do know that my Shiloh, mentioned above, is a fantastic piece of work.

Curly

Roscoe Stephenson
a/k/a Curly
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Bobw is certainly correct if its got a B in the serial number, it is the best built Sharps that was ever made.

KW
I have handled, shot, all others none of them hold a candle to my Shiloh.

Look at the top shooters lists,

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter