Rolling Block No 1

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Pink Panther

Rolling Block No 1

Post by Pink Panther »

I’ve seen rolling blocks from the 1880s for auction where they are in rough shape and wondered if the receiver could be salvaged to add a new stock and barrel to make a BP long range shooter. Is that a crazy idea? Not sure what to look at to see if the receiver was usable.
Tomklinger

Re: Rolling Block No 1

Post by Tomklinger »

Military rollers built into modern bpcr for target or silhouette are quite common. Try to get one that’s unmolested. They are pretty strong actions they can handle any black powder ctg…..
Tom klinger
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

When stocking a RB for a target rifle, its pretty much necessary to convert to pistol grip, so as to be able to straighten out the drop of the stock. This conversion allows the bottom line of the stock to be "brought up" so as to have a reasonable drop. I like to fit them with a thru-bolt, to stiffen up the stock attachment. This quite often improves the accuracy.

CHRIS
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

The rolling block is a fine rifle as it is, pistol grip or straight stock. You don't need to try to turn it into a modern rifle to be successful with it. Like anything, you just have to practice with it. I prefer to keep things pretty much as they were originally built. They will shoot just as good as anything else without major modifications.

George
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Definitely a thing and very doable. That was my plan for my conversion carbine that turned out to have an overtimed barrel. Was gonna turn it into a patch boxed 50-70 sporter. Fortunately shimming it solved the problem.

Another option that I’m not sure is in your cross check is if the stock is solid and the internals are good you can have the barrel relined to nearly chambering you want. Wood is surprisingly easy to restore if you aren’t having to replace chunks. Even a stock that’s cracked in half can be repaired provided material isn’t missing in the split. Dents can be steamed back out. To a certain extent scratches can be hidden as to be not as noticeable with some acetone, thin ca glue, walnut sawdust, and a go gettum attitude. Receivers can be case hardened again and obviously a bluing job on the barrel and you can have a mostly original gun that looks and shoots like new.

I’m a big fan of the guns built off old receivers though. Wouldn’t be much of a long range competition candidate and I don’t know if JP Gemmer ever did rolling blocks but having a No. 1 rebuilt as a Gemmer would be really cool.
—Tom
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

VenisonRX wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:04 pm I’m a big fan of the guns built off old receivers though. Wouldn’t be much of a long range competition candidate and I don’t know if JP Gemmer ever did rolling blocks but having a No. 1 rebuilt as a Gemmer would be really cool.
Tom,

I wouldn't discount long range competition with an original whether it be a good original bore, a rebored barrel, or a sleeved one. I have an original #1 rebored by Ron Snover in 40-70 SS and I don't have much trouble hitting a 40 inch gong at 1000 yards on a calm day with it sitting with cross sticks. I don't know how that would hold up in hard core competition, but it sure is fun.

As for a "Gemmer" rolling block. I don't know if there were any made originally, but i have seen a few that have been built in the last 20-30 years. They do look pretty neat, but given the stock design, I wouldn't want one in anything heavier than a 45-70. Even that might not be a lot of fun to shoot.

George
VenisonRX

Post by VenisonRX »

Sorry, what I meant was a Gemmer style probably isn’t the best configuration for long range competition.
—Tom
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

No need to appologize Tom. Having shot many thousands of rounds through my custom built 54 caliber flintlock Hawken, I would not be too inclined to shoot a breech loader in that configuration. The "Gemmer" rolling blocks I've seen do look pretty skookum though. A lot of people think something has to be new to shoot good. Ain't so. A good rebore or sleeving job keeps a rifle more or less original and will shoot as good as the new ones. All of the imports I've handled feel a bit like clubs . I think that is because the stocks are a good bit longer than the originals were.

George
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

I've done a lot of Rolling Blocks using BP era military actions. Also one old Sporting Action I found and built up a gun. Of course the actions that are BP are not as heavy as a later #5 smokeless action, so they need to be left round top for strength. The smokeless can be reshaped to octagon top with the extra meat they have on the receiver rings.
I have converted a couple using 1997 Remington lower tangs that are pistol grip. Numrich got all the leftover parts, and they at one time had enough great parts you could assemble a complete Rolling Block, right down to the windage globe and long-range tang sights! They even had some deluxe grade presentation stock sets all finished, with steel buttplates and forearms for a whopping $165!
I built this one in .40-50SS just to play with, as I love the little .40-50SS. It's a Remington Swede action, with Rem. stocks, lower tang, and sights. 34" full octagon #4 barrel.

Built this one in .40-65 using a genuine Sporting Rifle action, and my own stocks. 34" full round #4 barrel.

Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

Beautifully rifles. Thanks for the info.
Pink Panther

Post by Pink Panther »

Beautifully rifles. Thanks for the info.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

MarlinMan93: very nice rifles, very nice indeed.

At one time, I talked to the late Dave Higginbotham of Lone Star Rifles about fabricating up a .50-70 with a wiping rod from a remington #5 7mm action. His response was no problem -- "there is a sporting action hiding in every military action." Over the years, I saw some of his rifles. He was very talented and knew what what he was doing. Too bad he us no longer with us.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

That's a gorgeous rifle!
GS4570

Post by GS4570 »

The #1 roller actions were pretty beefy, especially for black powder. I found one made in 1875 that worked great. The gunsmith was able to shave it down to make it look nice. There was enough steel in the action to cut the rounded receiver into an octagon to match up with the barrel. Here are some before/after pictures.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

As Ray wrote, Dave Higginbotham could work wonders with a rolling block. Here's a 50-70 he built for me on a No. 5.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.