ebony pistol grip

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny sd

ebony pistol grip

Post by kenny sd »

I'm thinking of adding an ebony pistol grip on my Shiloh 74. I see there is one on line for $27 and I've asked if it is true ebony.
I don't want to drill holes in my 'baby', so I'm wondering if it can be mounted using a longer tang screw?

an old post said that it is possible. copied here.

No need to drill trig plate. Make up a longer tang screw with threads that clear those in the plate, but screw into the added grip. I also made my grip to use the original wood screw in the plate also. Works just as well, but with no permanent changes in the plate.

has anyone done this? thanks..Ken
kenny sd

Re: ebony pistol grip

Post by kenny sd »

I called, it's plastic. no go...
does anyone have a measurement
length, width and depth for a Shiloh sharps add on pistol grip?
I may make one...
thanks...Ken
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I am interested in one also, but not plastic! I made one up one in walnut to try the fit, not convinced my profile will improve the hold. I want to be sure before I drill a hole. Been wondering in the Springfield trapdoor cast steel grip could be modified to fit a sharps. I do like the checkering that they have. Let us know what you find.
kw
Griff

Post by Griff »

I can't be of much help, but it sounds like a Freund design. I believe that his design did require additional holes and screws, though.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dangerous Freedom
Griff

Post by Griff »

Here's a detail of a photo from Freund & Bro. Pioneer Gunmakers to the West. I had to crop it down and reduce the file size to be able to post it, so it's hard to see the detail, but maybe it will help. It's not ebony, of course...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dangerous Freedom
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Treebone carving. Go to website and see pics. My sharps is on there with the grip I added. They make a good ebony grip.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

The Freund grip shows amazing accuracy in the fit to the wrist, the checkering and grip cap are classy. I also am amazed at how many varied designs they "offered" or patented. I may make up another one in one of their variations.
kw
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

wow thanks guys. good responses. the plastic one is out of the question, I noticed the Freund one has an elongated rear tang screw holding it in place. good idea. I''d rather not start drilling holes in a $4K gun...
I'll check treebone. I've done business with them in the past and they are great
thanks...Ken
Clayguy

Post by Clayguy »

Ya' might consider buying the cheapo plastic version so you can use it as a model to check for fit and position. Ebony is the most expensive wood in the world, costing over $100 for a piece large enough for your pistol grip. However, there are other woods that can be made to look exactly like Ebony, but are far cheaper. One that comes to mind is Ipe, a very dense and hard wood that could be stained black to look like Ebony.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I just made one last week for my 16lb '74 but used a nice piece of walnut. It is a true pistol grip profile. Not sure how it feel/work when shooting. May checker it later and or make another in a slightly different profile. Holding in to the thing while working it is a pain.
kw
Luke

Post by Luke »

Might send it to Shiloh and get it done to factory Spec.
Limber Up!