“The Quigley” Question

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Castaway

“The Quigley” Question

Post by Castaway »

Other than the obvious shooting related items, what’s the one thing I need to take to the match?
MikeT

Re: “The Quigley” Question

Post by MikeT »

Sunscreen!

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

A cart to haul your gear around, the line is about a half mile long.

And you may have to park a fair distance away.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

You need a way to cover your equipment as the dust gets into everything. Water or something to drink as this is not provided.

Dave
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I went through 450 rounds of ammo last year and could have used more. With the switch over to BP, I may bring 750 rounds this year. Nothing like shooting all week long! My work asked that I call in to the weekly pull-plan meeting while I was at the Q, so I called in alright, from the firing line and pounded away while they went at it over electrical permit hold-ups and so forth. This year I"m pretty sure I can skip the meeting.....
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

A good book to read while you wait. Attendance is now such that it almost needs to be broken up into two matches. Great event however. A "must do" at least once. I read "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford" by Ron Hansen during my last Quigley at least 10 years ago. There were already 600+ shooters. Good book by the way.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Bring your patience and do us all a favor and leave the dog at home.
kw
38-72

Post by 38-72 »

A lawn chair with an overhead cover, the sun gets really hot. Be sure to bring rubber boots so it won't rain. Lots of drinking water. Get use to walking around a lot with shoes that won't mess up your feet.
Be sure to bring a great spotter.
See the other Washington, Eastern!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

kwilliams wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:51 pm Bring your patience and do us all a favor and leave the dog at home.
kw
Is that pointed at someone in particular or a general comment?

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Deadeye
Its a general observation on a few noted dog incidences last year at a couple of shoots here. Remember the range(s) are on private land. And then there is patience, the virtue most of have have while waiting for your turn to shoot. Others get stressed over the waiting.

kw
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Interesting, we've always had a dog, always bring our dog(s) since 2006 (still got the hat) never had that experience. Our biggest problem has been keeping all the good folks from spoiling them with treats. This was Quigley and Tikka at the Quigley in 2007. This will be the first year for Monte (short for Montelius from Monte Walsh). Matter of fact Doc Smith was their Vet for all their years. I'm sure you know Rick. I have no idea what being on Private Land would have to do with anything unless the owner Al Lee was against it. You ever see a rancher without a dog?

Paul
IMG_0116.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Bring Shade,

You will sit for hours to shoot a few shots, in the hot sun.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Kenny's right, 48 shots for score over two days in the hot sun. That doesn't take into consideration the hundreds of fun practice rounds you shot in the days leading up to the match of course. Sun, wind, rain it has it all. 2011 never happened due to the rain, the wind in 2014 (?) was so bad folks are still trying to get the dust out of everything. I just can't understand why we keep going back every year with those 600+ other people. We must be crazy. As Al Lee says, "Rule #1: Have Fun. Rule #2: See Rule #1." See you at the 'Q' boys.

Paul
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

DeadEye wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:28 pm Kenny's right, 48 shots for score over two days in the hot sun. That doesn't take into consideration the hundreds of fun practice rounds you shot in the days leading up to the match of course. Sun, wind, rain it has it all. 2011 never happened due to the rain, the wind in 2014 (?) was so bad folks are still trying to get the dust out of everything. I just can't understand why we keep going back every year with those 600+ other people. We must be crazy. As Al Lee says, "Rule #1: Have Fun. Rule #2: See Rule #1." See you at the 'Q' boys.

Paul
Paul you pretty much covered it though last year was hotter (115 on Tuesday) and dustier than I have ever seen it.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I spent about 4 hours there, was enough for me. On Saturday picked up powder.

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter