Ron Long

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

40-65rl

Ron Long

Post by 40-65rl »

One of the pioneers of BPCR Silhouette passed yesterday in Cheyenne. Ron Long, my friend and long time BPCR shooter, maker of the Cody highwall and Ballards in Cody Wyoming and custom BPCR riles in his garage in Aurora, Colorado before moving to Cody, will be missed by everyone who knew him. I shot muzzle loaders with Ron for years and he made and shot wonderful front loaders also. Too many championships to list. He was instrumental in the BPCR Silhouette game. He was the first national champion!!! I could go on forever about his accomplishments and how he was a good friend but....... Here is a brief article outlining those early days:

"The competition was initiated in 1985 as an idea of some of the NRA’s Black Powder Committee members. In September an experimental match was held at the NRA’s Whittington Center outside of Raton, NM. More than 30 shooters from around the country got the word and made the trek to Raton. I was one. The next year another trial match was held. Attendance broke 50.

By this time the NRA powers-that-be decided BPCR Silhouette would be a viable sport and thus the very first National Championship was sanctioned. This time 71 competitors showed up. Ron Long of Denver and Steve Garbe of Montana tied for first place with scores of 60 out of 120 possible. Long won the shoot-off."

RIP Ron, I will miss spending time in your garage in Cheyenne talking and just being with you.

Dick/40-65RL
High Desert Hunter

Re: Ron Long

Post by High Desert Hunter »

Sincere condolences for the loss of your friend. He sounds like someone who would have been good to ride the river with.

Dave
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

yeah, me too.

""he was such a good friend that when there was trouble you didn't have to look over your shoulder to see if he was standing there.
You knew DAMN WELL he was standing there'
Mr. Louis Lamour
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Condolences on the loss of your friend.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Definitely a pioneer in the BPCRS game.
He has fought a long hard battle against Cancer.
I was fortunate enough to know him.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
marlinman93

Post by marlinman93 »

Ron is a legend in the world of single shot rifles, and was extremely well known previously with muzzleloader rifles also. He was indeed instrumental in the success of Ballard Rifle co. in Cody, and the quality of the guns coming from there was due to Ron and all the other great talent employed at that company. Probably will never ever be another group of talented gunsmiths all at one company like there was at Ballard Rifle.
I knew he'd been struggling with health issues for years, but sad to hear of his passing.
JamesLeo

Post by JamesLeo »

Rest in the Lords Grace, my friend.
Ray Newman

Post by Ray Newman »

The shooting sports are greatly diminished.
Grand PooBah
WA ST F. E. S.

In real life may you be the bad ass that you claim to be on social media....
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Sad to hear that. I was a friend and shot with Ron when I lived in Colorado but lost touch. I remember like i5 was yesterday helping him manhandle a Bridgeport down into his basement. He was a printer by trade but loved muzzleloaders. He was always there with help and suggestions...he was a hell of a shot. He made his mark...Godspeed.
Richard
Woody

Post by Woody »

Met Ron at my first Silhouette match in Denver in 98. Bent the lever on my Shiloh trying to force a stubborn round. He was there with the solution and fixed it between two boards on a table behind the lines. I didn't know him well but appreciate what little time I did. Rest In Peace Ron.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl »

Service is Friday, April 22 at 10:00 am at the North Christian Church, 2015 Tranquility Road, Cheyenne, WY.
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

My Hawken, purchased from Green River Rifle Works in the mid-'70's, has a Long lock and trigger.

He was certainly a leader in the types of fifle sports we all enjoy.

Clarence