Over powder wads.

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

paulk

Over powder wads.

Post by paulk »

Wanting to try poly wads.
How does everyone use them?
On top of the fiber wad or instead of the fiber wad?
Thank you in advance.
kenny sd

Re: Over powder wads.

Post by kenny sd »

I use the 060 fiber wad and two newspaper wads. the paper wads keep the fiber wad from sticking to the bullet down range. I had actually picked them up under the target 100 yards away.
As I understand it, the wad is used to protect the base of the bullet. two wads just compress more, and don't really add to the bas protection.
I use an micro adjustable die to set the wads. I adjust the compression using this, not with more wads.
As long as we're talking, I had seat the GG bullet, slight crimp on the factory crimp die. (VERY slightly)
and then use the bullet seating die to check and adjust the final seating depth so all are the same total Ctg. length. TCL

but I'm only one....more experts will chime in I'm sure. Ken
ian45662

Post by ian45662 »

.060 poly wad right on the powder
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

I compress the powder and then set a .03 ldpe wad on the powder and a wax paper wad on top of that to keep the wad from sticking to the base of the bullet. I most often use an appropriate sized allen wrench to seat the over powder wad so that it seats straight, but you could use anything of the appropriate diameter with a flat end to seat the wads down onto the powder. I do the same with the wax paper wad so that it is setting flat and not just sticking to the side of the neck of the case.
Sam
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Nuclearcricket wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:18 pm I compress the powder and then set a .03 ldpe wad on the powder and a wax paper wad on top of that to keep the wad from sticking to the base of the bullet.
I always wondered about that wax or newspaper wad' to keep the wad from sticking' What about the wax/newspaper wad sticking? Why would a wad stick if the bullet base is clean and dry?

Just wondering...
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

MB Just Wondering, all sorts of things can happen to a loaded round. Especially in commercial shipping if you can't take it on the plane. Using grease groove bullets, (which most American long range match winners use), it is possible the lube can migrate and if not blocked seep into the powder charge which is why some of the Walters Veg fiber wads are cut .463" in diameter.

If the bullet is slip fit then liquid lube could seep to the base of the bullet and cause the thin prophylaxis discs to adhere to the base of the bullet.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Woody

Post by Woody »

.060 poly wad right on the powder
Nothing else.

It was a simple question.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Place .060 poly on top of the powder, add 0.003" printer paper wad on top of the poly to prevent the poly wad from sticking to bullet, compress powder, thumb seat bullet.

Wayne
Last edited by TexasMac on Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Are you going to shoot paper patch bullets? If so just a .060 wad is needed. If your going to shoot grease groove, like others have stated you can put some paper between the bullet and wad, Ive never had a reason to, just keep your base clean.

matt
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Although I use a thin paper wad between the thick wad & bullet, I certainly agree that if the bullet base is real clean the thin wad is likely not a benefit. I just find it's quick & easy to add the thin wad along with the thick wad & gives me piece-of-mind in case I have not sufficiently cleaned the bullet base of any lube happens to wick under the bullet.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
trapper

Post by trapper »

So some of you guys are saying a paper wad stuck to the bottom of the bullet doesn't effect bullet flight?

Trapper
* If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing to do is stop diggin'.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

trapper wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:49 am So some of you guys are saying a paper wad stuck to the bottom of the bullet doesn't effect bullet flight?

Trapper
and would be more likely to stay stuck...
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:28 pm
If the bullet is slip fit then liquid lube could seep to the base of the bullet and cause the thin prophylaxis discs to adhere to the base of the bullet.
Just put your bullets in the cases upon arrival then. For me, the lighter wad is more likely to stick, and you will still have a wad stuck to your bullet, no matter what.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

desert deuce wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:28 pm
Just put your bullets in the cases upon arrival then. For me, the lighter wad is more likely to stick, and you will still have a wad stuck to your bullet, no matter what.
DAG4570

Post by DAG4570 »

I use a .030 fiber wad on top of the powder and a newspaper wad between the fiber wad and the bullet. This is with a grease grove bullet. The paper on a paper patched bullet comes off real quick so I don't think a news paper wad is going to stick to the base of a bullet in flight.

Dave