Checking your bore for carbon buildup

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Checking your bore for carbon buildup

Post by TexasMac »

My BPCR shooting buddy recently decided to check the bore of his Shiloh Sharps for carbon buildup. His results suggested I should do the same with my Shiloh Sharps. He commented that there was absolutely no leading, but when he used Burch’s Bore Shine & waited 5 or so minutes & ran another patch it comes out brown. His research on bore carbon indicated it will come out brown on white patches. His scores have been getting better but didn’t want to get behind the 8 ball with carbon buildup. The next day he spent 30 minutes scrubbing the bore with Kroil & JB Bore Paste. After cleaning the patches came out very light brownish yellow.

So I decided to do the same. I’ve put about 3,000 rounds through my .40-65 Sharps to date & had never seriously checked for carbon. Having some Bore Tech Carbon Remover available I tackled the Sharps bore today. After removing the oil with some patches with solvent a couple of patches with Bore Tech came out a light brown with a few darker streaks. A few more patches with Bore Tech, waiting several minutes between patches, were progressively less to very light brown & no streaks. So then I scrubbed the bore with several patches of JB Bore Paste & followed up with solvent patches to clean out the JB. Subsequently a couple of tight turpentine patches which came out white. I then wetted the bore with Bore Tech & let it soak for 15 minutes. Subsequent patches of Bore Tech & solvent patches all came out completely white. So apparently there was some carbon but not much, & only one tiny sliver of lead.

Those of you that have not checked you bores for carbon buildup might consider doing so.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Checking your bore for carbon buildup

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

I have been saying this for years, saw Doc Lay have major issues with carbon fouling in Phoenix once.

Course I been told I was full of BS, water is all you need. :shock:

Now that is BS, water will not touch carbon.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

So which products are considered the best for carbon fouling? Right now, the solvents I've been using are M Pro 7, Hoppe's, or CLP. I had stopped using more aggressive products like Sweet's...
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

JonnyV wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:11 am So which products are considered the best for carbon fouling? Right now, the solvents I've been using are M Pro 7, Hoppe's, or CLP. I had stopped using more aggressive products like Sweet's...
Bore Tech Carbon Remover & Burch’s Bore Shine are two good ones. Other top rated carbon cleaners include: Carbon-Off, Slip2000 Carbon Killer, Sea Foam SS14 Cleaner & Lube, or the carbon cleaners used to remove carbon from cooking pans or automotive engine parts.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
Blackstone

Post by Blackstone »

It's interesting this topic comes up at this time . I have a Shiloh 40-70 that is my favorite rifle . I've had a lot of problems with consistently over the years . It has had an extremely tight area in the breach , so tight that a patch couldn't be drawn out after pushing it through . I have always thought it was the barrel . I've tried keoil years ago to remove lead but it has caused more severe leading . I have been shooting paper patch with good results and cleaning with water & balistol. A couple weeks ago I got a new can of Kroil . I had completely cleaned the barrel , the patches came out white but decided to run a patch with kroil and it came out black jet black actually. So I brushed it with a kroil soacked brush and the nylon rod turned black . I cleaned it for bout an hr . And the tight spot is completely gone . The rifle now shoots awesome with both Gg's and pp's .
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I've got plenty of Kroil but never thought about trying it on carbon. I'll have to check it out to see how well it works.

Wayne
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I might pick some up on the way home and try it.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

If you have some tough carbon buildup in front of the chamber JB Bore paste followed by Kroil will take it out without too much effort. Apparently it's a popular combination with lots of bench rest shooters. That's what let me to it. I only do it rarely, but it does the trick.

Chris.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

I just ran across the following video. You can add CLR to the list of carbon cleaners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xte_pf3ZhsA

Wayne
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Montana extreme cowboy blend
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Montana Cowboy blend inbound with one of their cleaning rods too. Thanks!!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Get a bottle of the it bore oil too
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Yes, it’s (Kroil and JB bore paste, and RemClean) been used in the benchrest circuit for years. Merrill Martin was the fella that introduced it in Precision Shooting magazine. It will NOT damage the bore, not at all. I still use it in my bench guns, and now I’ll run it through the throat area of my Shilohs. Kroil on a tight patch first. Again, and again. Then Kroil and JB bore paste, or Kroil and Remclean.
R
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
Tuscarora

Post by Tuscarora »

I basically asked this question two years ago when discovering that after cleaning with a water based cleaner, including M-pro7, I could always find more carbon in the bore if I ran an oil-based cleaner (Hoppes) through the bore and let it set for five to fifteen minutes. In short, after trying everything mentioned here, including biceps building exercises with that damed JB bore paste, with varying degrees of success, I came across Wipe-Out brand, Patch out. Cleaning routine now is Windex with vinegar diluted 50/50 with water. Four to five patches of that produces a white patch. One dry patch, and then the Patch-Out. Another 3-5 patches at five minute intervals, and I'm done. No more carbon.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I’ll give this a try!
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.