New Guy

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

namsag

New Guy

Post by namsag »

Hello new guy on the forum, been lurking a while and reading a lot. Been piddling around with blackpowder for years, mainly muzzleloader, but wanted to get some bpcr before I got too old.

After not having a bpcr for years and years I bought a Pedersoli High Wall in .45-70 last spring but it needed good sights and the trigger was terrible. I sent it to Lee Shaver. Well, he had it 13 months but I got it back 2 weeks ago and it is awesome now. Also, Bill Goodman expects my Shiloh (ordered last March) to be ready any time now. Then, last week a smoking deal on a Shiloh .45-90 fell into my lap, an older man sold me his entire setup, rifle, loads of brass, alloy, tin, moulds, pot, primers, powder, hardness tester, etc etc for less than you could get the rifle for, when it rains it pours. Got lots to play with now.

Will probably ask some dumb questions, please don’t hold it against me.

Not a lot of bpcr activity very close to me here in north Mississippi, but hopefully I will get where I can take a little trip somewhere once a month or so.

Great board, I enjoy following along.
Randy Bohannon

Re: New Guy

Post by Randy Bohannon »

How wonderful life can be at the right time or in the nick of time. You might as well sell that Pedersoli you’re not going to shoot it any more when you get the Shilohs up and going. I’ve had a 1877 on order for 5 years,it’s in production now so any day now. Put another rifle on order a few mos. ago. I think I need five of them to sample a good range of rifles.
Welcome ,there’s always something to learn.
cat1870

Post by cat1870 »

Welcome aboard..
SASS Life Member
NRA Life Member....
Which rifle should I shoot today???
John Bly

Post by John Bly »

Welcome to the madness. It can be frustrating but rewarding and long term friends will be made. You are not too far from the matches in GA. Some folks from that area of the country shoot there especially the fall Regional match. You could make it up to Friendship Indiana sometime. The National match is scheduled to be there next year.
"Perfection consists not so much in doing extraordinary things as in doing ordinary things extraordinarily well"
MDLevet

Post by MDLevet »

I believe there is still a monthly match in Pascagoula. Match director is Lee Burrow, Tel: 601-466-4246. E-mail is leebsharp74@gmail.com
GrumpyBear

Post by GrumpyBear »

Welcome and congratulations, on your recent acquisitions.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Welcome to the crazy :lol:
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Welcome! The .45-90 is a very rewarding caliber, capable of very fine accuracy. The man that sold you all this was a very giving man. Take him back your best targets; he’ll be very happy to see you ‘going strong’ in the sport. It’ll be a wonderful reward to him.

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
namsag

Post by namsag »

Thanks, and the guy who sold me that stuff was a great guy, retired Coast Guard warrant officer, had only the top of the line equipment and took good care of it. Due to eyesight and physical problems he can no longer shoot it, but it was easy to see he hated selling the stuff. I drove 4 hours to meet him for the deal but it would be great to get to hang out with him a little while. I hope I get a chance to visit with him again sometime.

I told him the rifle will be going to the Quigley in coming years and wherever else I can take it.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

I’ve personally been reloading ‘modern’ ammunition since I was twenty-five years old, and I’m nearing seventy-two years old now. Blackpowder cartridge reloading is a new world, but there ARE some similarities. This forum is a very good place to gain knowledge, IMO. I began with grease-groove bullets/ammunition in my Sharps rifles, even bought the last two postel moulds Paul Jones made. I listened to his recommendations on how to load using Swiss 1 1/2 black powder in my 45-90 & 70. Paul was a very good teacher, and I kept all of my notes. Since that time I learned to shoot paper-patch loads. It’s been good learning both methods. Good luck to you.
Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
BPGuru

Post by BPGuru »

Where are you located in north Mississippi? I am in northern Alabama, west of Huntsville.
namsag

Post by namsag »

Tupelo.