Wind Speed Indicators

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

opencountry

Wind Speed Indicators

Post by opencountry »

Can anyone tell me of a ‘good’ wind speed indicator, and where to find one?

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
rgchristensen

Re: Wind Speed Indicators

Post by rgchristensen »

ROBERT:
I generally watch the smoke from others' shots for speed, and have a ribbon on a pole to give more exact direction. I've been tinkering with a "garden daisy" to incorporate some magnets and an indicator to give crosswind velocity, but there are several concentric rotation axes which pose bearing problems. If it works, I'd probably get a rule named after me........

CHRIS
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

That helps me a lot, Chris, but I’m looking for something or someone with a little more info. Lol.
R
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

www.creedmoorsports.com

They have about everything for long range shooting.

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/category/wind-flags
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks, Randy.
R
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Depends on what you want the wind speed indicator for, which you did not specify.

Shooting Schuetzen at 200 one thing

Silhouette, quite another

Target 500 yards and beyond, still another.

AND, what the wind is at ground level velocity and direction wise at firing line is not necessarily the condition where the bullet goes.

I can use my velocity indicator sitting in the spotters chair then stand up a few feet away and the wind speed is different. If you find one that gives the speed for the bullet path please post here.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

All of that and the fact that they are illegal to use 'on the line' is the reason mime hasn't been out of the bag for years. For Silhouette any type of wind indicator can not be forward of the muzzle and Whirly-Gigs are not legal either according to NRA rules. I remember one match where the MD allowed them and everyone in my relay had one or two out in front of the line. Quite the distraction, sound and sight.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I view them as a useful training aid. When I started with BPCR in CA at the Folsom Shooting Center near Sacramento in 2006-7 The BPCR Silhouette matches would set out wind flags for the sight in period then they were removed before shooting for score. The range was close enough to me I was a member and spent a lot of time there. I met other BPCR shooters and practice days we used them at the firing line, pig line and Ram line , I learned quickly what my bullet was going to do with various wind directions and velocities. Eventually you learn to use mirage and if any grass or a flying bird or anything that helps is near the target.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

My son, who hunts trophy elk and muleys across the western US has suggested I go with a Kestrel wind indicator. The reason I’m thinking of using one is to eliminate shooting so many shots to get on target. I am no longer a match shooter; I’m done with that. I enjoy setting my four-legged bench up in the outdoor open spaces, and just shoot at anything I choose for a target. I do shoot at a local range from a bench and from prone position, but the range offers nothing further than 200 yds. I think I’ll buy a Kestrel.

Robert
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

The California State match is next weekend Randy and I was supposed to be there, signed up and all, then the prices of everything went up and we were faced with an extremely late spring so we had to cancel.

Paul
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Robert, If we were close to one another I'd give you mine, that's what I have. From my sailing days I learned to read the wind from the way the US flag is flying (can't use the Canadian one, different material). It gives you 5, 10, 15 and above. Then a friend gave me a copy of a report that the U.S. Military produced when they were testing the 45-70 Government round. They found that the #457125 Government 500 grain round nose deflected 1 MOA per 1 MPH of wind at 1000 yards for a full value wind. My rule of thumb for Silhouette is 'on in three' and using a variation of that formula has worked for me all these years.

Paul
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Paul hate to disagree with you.

But I do a fair bit of 1000 yard shooting, the old government bullet will need 1.1 MOA of correction at 800 yards per 1 mph of wind speed.

The wind charts I made were dead nuts on. You need about 1.8 MOA correction at 1000 yards per 1 mph wind speed. At a full value 90° wind.

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Post by JonnyV »

I have a Kestrel. I use it mostly with my bolt guns but also as a training aid for my BP rifles. This is the one I got. Yes, it's expensive. However, it allows me to create custom ballistic range data for my cast bullets or use pre-loaded bullet profiles for the bolt actions. It also will link with my Leica 2800 rangefinder and has weather data too. The thing is pretty complicated and takes time to learn how to use. Kestrel has a bunch of videos covering how to use various functions. When you get good with using it and get your bullets BC and velocity data loaded, it can pretty well get you onto first round hits. Maybe not "in the black" but it will get you "on the plate" even at longer ranges.

As others have pointed out, they are not legal for competition. Many guys take a pretty dim view of these things, but it will cut a LOT of time off the learning curve.

https://www.amazon.com/Kestrel-Weather- ... RydWU&th=1
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

No harm, no foul Kenny. It's not me you're disagreeing with.

Paul
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

Thanks, everyone. Every bit helps.
Kenny, I’d love to have your charts since we both shoot the same caliber, and probably nearly the same powder charge (111.0 Goex & Swiss). My bullet is a 535-gr. MB, pp’ed.
Thanks again, all!
Good news - A farmer today just gave me permission to shoot at his place as much as I wanted, and whenever I wanted - the range limit- as far as I can see! When he sees my rifle(s), he’ll probably want to buy one for himself. This is what I’ve been looking for for years!!!
Robert