Range spares

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

amprat

Range spares

Post by amprat »

What would constitute a good selection of spare parts for the 1874 Sharps Roughrider?

-firing pin
-firing pin spring

What else would be prudent?
Lumpy Grits

Re: Range spares

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Firing pin and pre-fitted lever spring
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

In addition to that you might want to consider a transfer bar. I have never broken one but I have heard of the occasional one breaking.

I carry spare parts, but in a decade or more of shooting many thousands of rounds through various Shiloh Sharps rifles I have not broken so much as a firing pin.

Chris.
Tom Trevor

Post by Tom Trevor »

Remember if you carry spare parts you will never need them. If you do not something will fail for sure. I know!
Clarence

Post by Clarence »

I carry a firing pin/spring, mainspring and mainspring vise, and transfer block. Have broken all at one time or another, but that's over 30 years and several rifles with lot of rounds, and rifle older than 25 years. Every time I get a replacement part, it looks to be better quality than the one that broke, a tribute to the Shiloh manufacturing quality control and process improvements.

Clarence
Luke

Post by Luke »

This is why you need a second Shiloh Sharps.
Limber Up!
amprat

Post by amprat »

I'd enjoy having a second Sharps. I really need to master the one I have currently though.

I am getting the hang of it now though, having shot several sub moa 100 yard groups with my hand crafted black powder loads. If I get repeatable I'll be moving to 200 yards pretty soon and trying all over again :)

As a side question; how smoothly should the firing pin block move when operated by hand? Mines rather ratchety, and I've pulled some swarf out of the breech block, and from under the firing pin block as well at my last cleaning. Haven't tore down the block itself though, yet.
bandanaman

Post by bandanaman »

gunlaker wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:39 am In addition to that you might want to consider a transfer bar. I have never broken one but I have heard of the occasional one breaking.

I carry spare parts, but in a decade or more of shooting many thousands of rounds through various Shiloh Sharps rifles I have not broken so much as a firing pin.

Chris.
Although not a Shiloh rifle I wish I had read this before I went to Heffley and had my transfer bar break in the first round !!! Spare firing pins and springs but no transfer bar was a disappointing lesson.