Cheyenne Matches UPDATE

Do you have a shoot or special event coming up soon? Tell us here.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

40-65rl

Cheyenne Matches UPDATE

Post by 40-65rl » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:34 am

2022 Cheyenne Mid Range Matches
Good Day all,
Posted this in October but with all the others posting I thought I would post it again as
we have added .22 Mid range target matches to the schedule and
updated the information about the new electronic gate.

There are no matches in July due to the .22 BPCRA nationals and the
HOTSA/Smithmoor BPCR Silhouette matches at Raton the second week of
July.
Cheyenne Frontier Days is the last full week of July and motels and rooms
are expensive as we have an extra 150,000 people in town during the ten days.

The .22 national Mid Range Championships are projected to be the
Tuesday before the four day Smithmoor .22 Regional and BPCR silhouette
matches start on that Thursday with the BPCR first then the .22
Regional. It is a beautiful time of the year to head to Wyoming and
these matches should be on your travel list. The Smithmoor range is
only 30 minutes from Cheyenne and has camping facilities available at
a ridiculously low cost.

A .22 mid range match has been added on the Sunday after the BPTRA mid
Range matches. They will start at 0900 on those Sundays.

Target shooting is alive an well in Wyoming including the Cheyenne
Rifle and Pistol Club and the Wyoming State Mid Range championships.
We are sanctioned by the Black Powder Target Rife Association and
have, what I believe to be one of the finest mid range target facilities.
Just a little over 2 hours South is the home of the BPTRA in Byers and
there are multiple matches, the national Mid Range Championship, the
famous money match and the National Creedmoor Championships are
scheduled trough the summer and early Fall. Check out the BPTRA web
site for everything about this organization. There are multiple
matches in Alliance, Nebraska through the summer also. Check them
out, silhouettes, mid range and clang and bang matches.
See ya at the range.

Dick

2022 CHEYENNE RIFLE & PISTOL CLUB
BPCR MIDRANGE MATCHES

TIME: 8:00 A.M. Sign in. 9:00 A.M. – Firing commences.

LOCATION: Cheyenne Rifle & Pistol Club Outdoor Range – 10 miles northwest of Cheyenne, WY. Go north on Interstate 25 to Exit 16, Horse Creek Road, West on Horse Creek Road for 3.3 miles to Telephone Road go North on Telephone Road for 2 miles. The match will be shot at the high-power range on East end of range. The electronic gate will be open to all access from 0700 till about 1000 when the gate will be closed and locked. When leaving the range the gate will open without any code, just go SLOW.

CAMPING: Camping is not available at the CRPC range, it is available at the Smithmoor Range, Carpenter, WY. Contact them for reservations. Thanks.

.22 BPCR TARGET RULES: All .22 BPCR targets are shot at 200 yards. The 200-yard full size mid-range target then the 300- and 600-yard targets are reduced size NRA targets. All rifles must conform to current .22 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Association rules. Empty Chamber Indicators required and are available for loan at the match. Membership in BPCRA is not required but encouraged. Iron and scope are not separate classes and there are no classifications for the shooters. Everyone is shooting head-to-head. High spotter, high woman, high Junior, high senior, and super senior award certificates for the July match and awards for the National Championships.

BPTRA RULES and INFORMATION: Black Powder Target Rifle Association (BPRA) Rules apply. Web site: https://bptra.org/ Rifles are falling block rifles with exposed hammers, shooting black powder or black powder substitutes with cast lead bullets. No jacketed bullets or smokeless powder. Rifles are based on rifles with a patient date of 1898 or earlier. Common rifles are Sharps, Remington Rolling Blocks, Winchester Highwalls and Stevens 44.5. Common calibers are 45-70, 45-90, 40-65 and 44- 77. Any shooting position may be used to shoot the match except bench rest. Most shooters shoot prone using cross sticks for support. Each shooter will have a spotter who helps with sight adjustments and is the shooters scorekeeper. Each four-person squad has two on the firing line and two in the pits who lower the targets, mark them, and return them to the shooting position. They will also repair targets as needed and assist with returning the target frames into the storage area after the match. Empty Chamber Indicators required and are available for loan or purchase at the match. If you have a walkie talkie, please bring them for your squad to use. Target berms determined by match director

GENERAL: Shooters will score and operate targets. No food is provided. Water is available.

ENTRY: Advise Dick if you are attending any of the listed matches. RHENNEBRY at bresnan dot net

June 25, 2022, BPTRA Match: MR-Any 500, 30 shot mid-range any position, 10 shots each @ 300yds, 500yds, and 600yds, 4 sighters per distance. 25 minutes with 3-minute Prep Period. $10 entry
June 26 .22 BPCR mid range target match starting at 0900. $10

August 9, 2022, .22 Mid-Range Target National Championship. 45 shots mid-range any position. 15 shots each 200-yard full size target, 300 and 600yard reduced size target all shot at 200 yards. 4 sighters per string total 20 minutes with 2-minute prep period. $20 entry

August 27 Match: BPTRA Match: MR-Any 600, 30 shot midrange any position, three 10 shot strings all @ 600yds, 4 sighters per string total. 25 minutes with 3-minute prep period. $10 entry.
August 28, .22 BPCR mid range target match starting at 0900. $10.

40-65rl

Re: Cheyenne Matches UPDATE

Post by 40-65rl » Sun Dec 19, 2021 11:13 am

Just a bit of history. The NRA cancelled target matches at Raton and I was approached by Don McDowell who had seen the range and pits at Cheyenne when shooting our .22 BPCRA sanctioned matches and asked if I would consider having a mid range match. With Donnie's guidance we had a match and it was well attended and folks seemed to have a good time. Subsequent to that the BPTRA was formed by Robert Garibay. He and I decided adding Cheyenne to the matches already at Byers would be a good fit and the decision was made Cheyenne to have the mid range matches, except the national championship, sanctioned by the BPTRA. Since that time the Wyoming State Mid Range Championships in Worland, Wyoming, have also partnered up with the BPTRA. Between the three ranges the BPTRA offers both mid range championship matches, including state and national target championships and creedmoor matches, also the National Creedmoor championship. It has been a good partnership for Cheyenne and because of the increased use of the mid range the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club has increased it's funding for maintenance of this outstanding facility. It has 14 targets in a concrete bunker that is identical in most ways to the range at Byers, Colorado, although the range at byers is 1000 yards and has more targets. The range now has over 20 matches mostly high power, scheduled through the summer months. Again scheduling is always an issue. Because of the number of matches at Byers and other ranges within short driving distance from Cheyenne we have coordinated with these ranges and try very hard to not step on each other. There is a match every weekend from May through September within a short drive of Cheyenne, so it is a bit of a challenge but we make it work. We welcome all shooters and include the .22 mid range matches because the shooters want them. We are also home to the .22 Mid Range national championships held in August just two days before the Smithmoor range hosts the Wyoming Regional .22 BPCRA championships and the Wyoming State BPCR silhouette championships. These are five matches worth the drive. The ranges at Smithmoor, under the direction of the Smith family, Cody and Gary are top notch to say the least. Currently the BPTRA is the ONLY organization sanctioning target matches, keeping records and providing venues for this important part of black powder shooting. Thanks to all who have read this post and we look forward to seeing you at any of the BPTRA matches whether they are in Wyoming or Colorado.
Concerns about rules and what rifles, calibers, etc. may be answered at the BPTRA.org web site under Entry forms and contact.
Merry Christmas to all.

40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:13 am

ALL MATCHES AT CHEYENNE FOR 2022 ARE CANCELLED.

semtav

Post by semtav » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 am

Wow. That's a little drastic for such a conservative state.

Covid?

40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl » Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:09 pm

Sometimes the bullshit overrides the desire to do something for the masses.

SSShooter

Post by SSShooter » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:46 pm

That sucks. Sounds political.

Come shoot with us at the Cumberland Riflemen club in Millville, NJ. We will have five (5) 200/300/600yd BPTR mid-range matches, including a 60-shot Eastern Regional/NJ State Championship and 3 (maybe 4) 200yd 45-shot 22RF-BPTR matches. We don't care if you are sanctioned by the BPTRA, NRA or your favorite devine god of shooting. We are just out to have safe & fun matches. Everyone is welcome. 2nd Saturday of April, May, June, Sept (regional) and Oct.
Glenn

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell » Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:30 pm

Damn it
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?

Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger » Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Oh no.

This was on my list for matches.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter

Jeanne Ring

Post by Jeanne Ring » Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:27 pm

40-65rl wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:09 pm
Sometimes the bullshit overrides the desire to do something for the masses.
I hear ya, Dick. The masses sometimes are the asses. I hope you cool down and things get better for you for the sake of the sport.

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:33 am

Mine also Kenny.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!

BPShelbyCobra

Post by BPShelbyCobra » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:02 pm

May I ask why the matches were Cancelled? I am a member of the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club, and was considering participating in some BP shoots this year. I am new to BP shooting after getting a Shiloh Sharps last year. I was thinking these matches would be a good place to learn the fine art of BP shooting from experienced BP shooters.

stevewhr

Post by stevewhr » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:24 pm

BPShelbyCobra wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:02 pm
May I ask why the matches were Cancelled? I am a member of the Cheyenne Rifle and Pistol Club, and was considering participating in some BP shoots this year. I am new to BP shooting after getting a Shiloh Sharps last year. I was thinking these matches would be a good place to learn the fine art of BP shooting from experienced BP shooters.
Can't help you much with the CRPC question but there's opportunities down here in Carpenter. If you're interested PM me for my cell number. Steve
wyomingsightdrifter.com

40-65rl

Post by 40-65rl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:04 am

BPSHELBYCOBRA--------
This is Dick Hennebry, I run the Black Powder matches at Cheyenne. I would be more than happy to meet with you at the range to shoot, at my house or breakfast and try answer any of the thousands of questions new shooters have about this sport. You have a first quality rifle in the Shiloh Sharps and I think you will really enjoy the matches at both Cheyenne and at the Smithmoor range in Carpenter. Much too much to put in this. Please give me an e mail rhennebry at bresnan dot net and we can get you going.
Dick

P.S. DD
E mail me please.
thanks.