Ebony Pistol Grip

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Shad

Ebony Pistol Grip

Post by Shad »

Does anyone know if the "Ebony Pistol Grip", that's listed as a custom add-on if you order a new rifle build, is available separately as a purchased part and can be added by the owner on an already purchased rifle? Or does it need to be installed by the factory during the building process (ie extra holes in the trigger plate)?
Thanks in advance for any replies.
firefighter1990

Re: Ebony Pistol Grip

Post by firefighter1990 »

You can send in just your lower trigger bar later on and have it installed. I was thinking of doing the same on one of my rifles so I pm'd Kirk and he quoted me $275. I still haven't got around to it yet.

I believe the process entails drilling a hole through the tang into the ebony and then it's bedded and contoured to the trigger bar. It seems like a rather easy thing to do myself actual but my craftsmanship looks like child's play compared to that of the Shiloh crew.
firefighter1990

Post by firefighter1990 »

Here's a link to a little tutorial of the process as well as the price for the small chunk of ebony if you're looking for a DIY projects.

http://www.treebonecarving.com/sharps-a ... rting.html
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I've installed 3 from Treebone and like them alot. The last one I installed was the new model which is 25% larger and I like the feel of it the best.
DennisImage
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
kenny s

Post by kenny s »

I have worked with ebony nose and pistol grip caps in the rifles I used to build for customers.
Don't try to cut a block unless you have a band saw, and it it extremely hard to work,
However, it makes a beautiful grip cap fore end cap or pistol grip.
No finish is necessary, just buff the heck out of it.. It polishes up nicely.

ebony is not for the novice to start with....practice on a block of maple first.

and when you take the trigger guard off. go Slowly....release the top screw, then tap, release again then tap.

you could pull off a nice piece of the stock off in a sliver...

good project for the winter....Ken
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I should mention that if you try to install a grip yourself you will probably have to soften the drill spot on the trigger bar with a torch because the case hardening will be too hard for a drill bit. Even for a cobalt bit sometimes. So be sure that your up to doing the job.
Just my opinion.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
Shad

Post by Shad »

Thanks guys for all the good information. The solution is kind of what I figured, but wanted to be sure anyway. I was actually thinking of making the grip addition out of black delrin plastic, as it machines easily, and will polish up well. I am a retired tool & die maker, so making it wouldn't be too bad a job. However, I am a bit uncomfortable pulling my rifle apart and drilling a hole in the trigger plate, as A- I don't want to pull a sliver of wood off with the plate, as it's a very tight fit, and B- I don't know how hard the plate would be trying to drill a hole thru the case hardening. Probably be worth spending the money and time to send it in to Shiloh, rather than chance even a little boo-boo on such a fine rifle. And the pistol grip is NOT that big a deal to me anyway. Just thought it gave the rifle a bit more of a "classic" look. Thanks again for the replies.
lrb

Post by lrb »

No need to drill trig plate. Make up a longer tang screw with threads that clear those in the plate, but screw into the added grip. I also made my grip to use the original wood screw in the plate also. Works just as well, but with no permanent changes in the plate.
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Ebony wood is harder than woodpecker lips! Send it back to Shiloh. No need to worry about messing anything up.
CBarnard

Post by CBarnard »

I had one fitted to my Shiloh when at the factory and it is a really nice piece of work, however, I took it off as it spoiled the lines and look of the rifle. Also, some guy thought it was made of plastic!
I did make one for my son's Pedersoli Sharps out of a piece of scrap, walnut maybe, and that turned out well.
rdnck

Post by rdnck »

Plastic add on pistol grip? Some people have no shame. rdnck
Chairman, Phd
Caddo Lake Chapter
FES
Charter Member FBASS

Charter Member OGANT