Re barrel #1Sporter

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

paulk

Re barrel #1Sporter

Post by paulk »

I have a #1Sporter in 45-70 with a 30" heavy octagon barrel drilled and tapped for an MVA Scope.
Just wondering what a ballpark figure would be to have the gun rebarreled to a 30" standard octagon in 45-70 and drilled and tapped for MVA Scope.
Thank you.
Crash Landing

Re: Re barrel #1Sporter

Post by Crash Landing »

I suggest you call Shiloh and ask them. They can give you a better idea of actual cost. Keep in mind that your rifle will need a new forestock as the standard weight barrel is smaller than your No.1 heavy.
Randy W
Bulseyetom

Post by Bulseyetom »

Not sure if it is feasible but CPA Rifles will contour your barrel. You would have to have them recut any dovetails and the barrel would need to be blued but it would screw right back in and be ready to go. The forearm would need to be bedded as well. I am not familiar with the contours but maybe the barrel could just be turned to round in front of the forearm to achieve the weight loss you are after. Probably best to rebarrel but this might be quite a bit cheaper and worth a call. Tom
art ruggiero

Post by art ruggiero »

could turn and also short an inch or 2 with a scope no need to worry about sight radius art
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

The best answer was to call and talk straight to the horse's mouth. I had Shiloh do a re-barrel for me, but that has been 6 years ago or so. I just wanted the same barrel, but have it be the new improved ones they did now. Mine was an older Wolfgang barrel. I think I was all in for about $750, but don't hold me to that. I was very happy with the new barrel. Mine is a half-oct./half round. That is a good way to drop some weight and moved the center of the weight of the rifle back toward you. Might try that first if the rifle shoots well now. You need to call and see when Shiloh can work that job in. Sometimes they are busy making other things and it takes them some time to work your rifle in.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Your better off to order a new rifle the way you want it then sell yours when it's near ready
bobw
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

I agree with Bob, it's not just a new barrel but also trying to match the forearm. More cost and time than worth in my opinion.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Paul what did you decide? bobw
bobw