Is the 1863 still being made?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Michael Johnson

Is the 1863 still being made?

Post by Michael Johnson »

I don't see it listed anymore. Has it been discontinued? - Mike
borderdogs

Re: Is the 1863 still being made?

Post by borderdogs »

Mike,
Good question, hadn't checked the rifle page in a while and after posting on the 1863 section I decided to check. I see the 74's listed and not the 63's, maybe the site is being updated?
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
borderdogs

Post by borderdogs »

Hi Mike and anyone who is interested,
I sent a private email to Kirk asking about the 1863 and if he is discontinuing them. He told me that he was
just discontinuing them for a while. That he did the same thing back when Shiloh had a 5 years back log on the 74's.

Nice to know they haven't disappeared.
Rob
aka "borderdogs"
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

It's now August 2021. Has Shiloh begun making Mold 1863s again? If not, is it permanently out of production?

For me, more important questions than current production are whether the 1863s I own can still be repaired, if needed, and whether 1863-specific parts remain available — that is, in inventory?
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

I think you'll find if you check the rifle models available for order now... the 1863 is once again being listed as available to order. I'm sure Kirk will chime in when time permits. A 54 cal 63 is tempting.. but so then is a model 77.. but then again a 74 in 50/70 would be nice... :wink:

J.B.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
Kirk

Post by Kirk »

The 63 is being made again and I have always serviced them!!!
Naphtali

Post by Naphtali »

Many thanks for this excellent news. :D

Kirk, my way of assuaging my mistake is to let you know I own four, all .54 caliber. My first is the one you folks built to my order. Numbers two and three are infantry rifles, one of which has your double set trigger system. I'm thinking about rendering this as close to a Berdan variation as I can make it. If not, I have an MVA sight and Lyman target globe as an option. The fourth is a cavalry carbine. No problems or "issues" with any of them.

After deciding to buy the one you built for me, my next most intelligent decision was to not have you built one so blindingly attractive that I would not shoot it. I did that once, buying a built-to-order Darne V-19 12 gauge the last year of their manufacture. Terrible anxiety whenever I would be getting gear together for duck or pheasant hunts.
When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. Jonathan Swift