Freund Shiloh

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Zerolatitude

Freund Shiloh

Post by Zerolatitude »

Hello!

I read all of the previous threads on the Freund conversion, but cannot find anything on this gun. I recently purchased a Shiloh #B2445 that is engraved with the Freund Bro on the lock plate, Boss Gun on the right receiver, and a buffalo on the left. Can you fill me in on this gun? When was it made and who engraved it? Also, was there a scope with the rifle originally? If so, can you tell me who built it?

Thanks!
Larry
desert deuce

Re: Freund Shiloh

Post by desert deuce »

Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

Deuce

I tried your link but nothing comes up. The gun number is some where in the mid 90's. Just have to wait on the Shiloh team. No worries there, they should be taking care of the paying customers first! :-)

LR
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Rich McKinney owns schuetzen gun company in Loveland Colorado
He has the exclusive on the fruend modification on the 74 sharps
I opened the site and that is where I got the link I posted.
Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

Deuce,

Thank you sir! I haven't put my hands on it yet. It is still in transit. Here is the listing:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail.asp?lid=30283773

:-)
BFD

Post by BFD »

Even with the premium you had to pay to Amoskeag, that is a hell of a nice rifle at a great price in my opinion. I'd sure like to see it in person to get an idea of what the Freund improvements are like.
Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

Quite right! Just dumb luck, no skill involved. What is that old saying, "I would rather be lucky than good." I happened to be there for another Shiloh that I lost. Then thought well what the heck. Really interested to see what Lucinda has to say about it.
Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

Well I can't confirm it yet, but it does appear to be a Shiloh. I also think Deuce is correct. I have a letter into Lucinda on the Shiloh side and will call the boys in Colorado this week. I think it is a Shiloh action and done by the Schuetzen Shop. The Shiloh logo is gone and replaced with Freund Patent logo, but the serial number does appear to be Shiloh. Really well done rifle! Only the cal and 2-1/10 and engraved in script "American Frontier" ahead of the rear mount, on the barrel. No other markings.

Take care!
Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

Well the saga continues!

Lucinda was kind enough to look up the serial number for me. The gun was sold in the 1990's as a barreled action. :-) I spoke with Rich at Schuetzen and he did not build the gun. Still tracking down the maker. Basically it is time to stop talking about it and start shooting it. :-)

Larry
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Larry,
Wondering, does the rifle have the actual attributes of a Freund Conversion, to include the rocking breechblock and dual extractors, or is it just an outside appearance (makeover) of a Freund conversion?
Chris
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

I would say so! This is out of this month's NRA Freedom Magazine. It is talking about the Freund Bros. improved Sharps.

Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

It has had some work on the breach block but not to the extent of what we all consider the Freund conversion. No double extractors or cam block. It has had the hammer worked over, and some slick metal work. Well done checkering, engraving and a gorgeous barrel. It was done sometime in the early 90's but I am still not sure who the maker was. Any ideas you might have would be appreciated.

LR
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

Could be by Schuetzen Gun Co., LLC in Loveland, CO. He is the only one I know that will actually does the Freund Bros. improvement on a 74 Sharps now days.
1523 US-34, Loveland, CO 80537
Phone: (970) 635-2409
There was a nice article on him in one of the Guns magazines several years ago.
Zerolatitude

Post by Zerolatitude »

Maj Forest,

Thank you sir. I spoke with Richard of Schuetzen and he did not do this gun! Not sure who did. What we do know: it IS a Shiloh action built in the early 90's and shipped as a barreled action. Beyond that....... darn good question!

Kind Regards,
Larry