Tang sight with irons?

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

johnl

Tang sight with irons?

Post by johnl »

Gents

I have a 26" #1 with a full buckhorn rear and MVA #101 and #113 front, it is a bit of an over kill for 100 and 200 yards but I love the aperture front. Anyway what is the best tang for use with irons? I might get a .22lr liner and use this for the 100 yard game.

Thanks
Lumpy Grits

Re: Tang sight with irons?

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I really like the MVA Buffalo Soule for the extra windage. Then add a Hadley eye cup for changing light conditions.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
johnl

Post by johnl »

Lumpy Grits wrote:I really like the MVA Buffalo Soule for the extra windage. Then add a Hadley eye cup for changing light conditions.
G.

Thanks Lumpy, BTW what is your front sight? Blade or aperture type?
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

If you are wanting to use a liner for the 22 game, the only sight I could make work was their schuetzen model. The rest would not go low enough for the chickens. If you use a tall front sight, you might get by with one of the others. Also I don't like having any larger or more expensive of a sight than what is needed, so I like their mid range version as it has plenty of height for silhouettes and midrange. If you are wanting to shoot 1000 yard, then you will need the long range version. Also, I don't have and have never wished I had the buffalo version with the extra windage. Everybody has their own ideas. Lumpy is not wrong, just different from mine.
take care, Cody
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

johnl wrote:
Lumpy Grits wrote:I really like the MVA Buffalo Soule for the extra windage. Then add a Hadley eye cup for changing light conditions.
G.

Thanks Lumpy, BTW what is your front sight? Blade or aperture type?
Both of my Shiloh's use the MVA #113 on the front.
They are target rifles and not 'hunters'.
G.
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
johnl

Post by johnl »

Let me rephrase. Which tang can you fold forward and still use iron sights? MVA combination rear or Marble tang? Don't care about windage for my application.
BFD

Post by BFD »

None that I know of can be folded forward effectively enough to use the barrel sights. But Marbles Flexible Sight and the MVA Schuetzen (the model without elevator screw) and midrange sights, and Ballard Gallery and similar sights can be folded back and safely used with barrel sights.

Are you thinking of having a hunting set up with two sets of sights for different distances? If that is your intent, that can easily be done. You might not want an aperture front for hunting however. At least, I don't. I prefer a post and bead or a crosswire. The MVA front sights I would avoid as hunting sights. A Lyman 17a, a Distant Thunder, or a standard nickle or steel Rocky Mt. style blade all work.
RicHeMoor

Post by RicHeMoor »

I have a # 3 sporter , 45 70 , 28" std. oct. bbl.. i bought the Crossno .22lr liner. i used it before i had 45 70 cart. it was accurate enough to hit a can at 100 yds.. sights: MVA mid range soule, with front aperature ..