Rebarrel question.

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

bucksnort

Rebarrel question.

Post by bucksnort »

For a rebarrel (.45-70 to .40-65), does the rifle need to be shipped back to Shiloh in Big Timber. I already have a .45-70 and a friend of mine had a deal that I could not refuse. Thanks.
BFD

Re: Rebarrel question.

Post by BFD »

No, absolutely not. Many gunsmiths can rebarrel a Sharps. Mine, in fact, was rebarreled by a third party smith.

You might ask if the smith of your choice has experience with square threads on the Sharps and what their thoughts are about chambers, etc. but no reason to send it back to them if you would like to stay closer or do something different.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

bucksnort wrote:For a rebarrel (.45-70 to .40-65), does the rifle need to be shipped back to Shiloh in Big Timber. I already have a .45-70 and a friend of mine had a deal that I could not refuse. Thanks.
To keep it all Shiloh, yes you do. The 40-65 barrel will need to be the same contour as the 45-70. If you go with a different contour you will likely need a new foreend. Call them and find out when they will be working the next batch of rifles with your contour.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
BFD

Post by BFD »

I had no problem having a barrel fit to my forearm's contour. If you aren't going to do a radically different profile, this is simple.
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

I'll be keeping the same barrel profile/weight, just a different caliber.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

bucksnort wrote:I'll be keeping the same barrel profile/weight, just a different caliber.
That's what I did with my #3. I did have them install sling swivel studs, the total cost was right at 800$. Also had them send the original barrel back, that way if I ever decided to return it to original condition it would be a simple thing.
Maj. Forrest Smith

Post by Maj. Forrest Smith »

I had my "Wolfgang" Shiloh re-barreled last year at Shiloh. I wanted Shiloh to do it for a couple of reasons. The main reason is I feel they are making one of best if not the best barrel out there right now for Black powder rifles. Secondly, Shiloh always takes cares of their customers and I want them to go through my 15 year old rifle and if any thing was needed, the parts were right there for them to use. Usually, I think they will tell you about 5 to 6 months for the job once they have received the rifle. But as someone said, make sure they are making the barrel you are wanting at that time or it could take longer.

Now with that said, yes, there are very good gunsmiths that can change the barrels out.
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

The barrel will be a one-for-one swap (same size, weight), just a .40-65.
Timberlake

Post by Timberlake »

All things considered, keep your Shiloh a Shiloh. You'll feel better in the end.
"I heartily accept the motto, 'That government is best which governs least'; and I should like to see it acted up to more rapidly and systematically... 'That government is best which governs not at all'."

Thoreau
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

I looked at the S/N on this rifle, and it is a xxxxB verses a Bxxxx (newer rifles). Is there any significance to the "B" and where it is in the s/n?
bobw

Post by bobw »

bucksnort wrote:I looked at the S/N on this rifle, and it is a xxxxB verses a Bxxxx (newer rifles). Is there any significance to the "B" and where it is in the s/n?
Yeah suffixed rifles are almost wore in and it means you need to buy a newer one :lol: My understanding of it was after they hit 9999B they changed to a prefix B0001..... bobw
bobw
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Any ball-park price for a 32-inch, octagonal, standard finish (matte), in .40-65?
Marathonman

Post by Marathonman »

You might consider keeping what you have and buying a 40-65.
I had gotten possession of a big "50" gun early in the fight, and was making considerable noise with it.

~Billy Dixon~

Adobe Walls 1874
bucksnort

Post by bucksnort »

Marathonman,
Tha might be the way to go. Then I will have a NEW rifle to play with. Best I can figure out, lead time is about 18-mos? Thanks.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

bucksnort wrote:Any ball-park price for a 32-inch, octagonal, standard finish (matte), in .40-65?
Best to call, and see, but when I had one rebarreled it ran around 750$ and it was about a 4 month deal. Need to send the rifle when they are running a batch thru with the same barrel contour. Call the gals at the office they can give you the good info.