Orville Loomer chamber ...

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

rfd

Orville Loomer chamber ...

Post by rfd »

... what are the resulting .45-2.1 chamber dimensions and how do they compare with the standard Shiloh chamber ream?

I've ordered the OL chamber ream for the forth coming Sporter #1 as ppb's are all I'll be shooting, just want to compare the OL ream against some others. TIA.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
Lumpy Grits

Re: Orville Loomer chamber ...

Post by Lumpy Grits »

I can't answer your question.
But-WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!:
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
bobw

Post by bobw »

rfd wrote:... what are the resulting .45-2.1 chamber dimensions and how do they compare with the standard Shiloh chamber ream?

I've ordered the OL chamber ream for the forth coming Sporter #1 as ppb's are all I'll be shooting, just want to compare the OL ream against some others. TIA.
Well a std Shiloh chamber gives a casing a .483-.482" dia OD after firing. OL chamber, the fired casing will have an OD right at .472".473" that leaves the casing with a ..450-.451" ID after firing. No resizing needed, it's away a lot of the Sharps cartridges were chambered in originals. The 50-70 and 45-70 (2.1") were chambered larger to accommodate gov't greasers ammo though. You can't chamber a round loaded with a greasers in a OL chamber. ???? bobw
bobw
rfd

Post by rfd »

Lumpy Grits wrote:I can't answer your question.
But-WELCOME TO THE FORUM :!:
Gary
hey gary, thanx. 8)
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
rfd

Post by rfd »

bobw wrote:
rfd wrote:... what are the resulting .45-2.1 chamber dimensions and how do they compare with the standard Shiloh chamber ream?

Well a std Shiloh chamber gives a casing a .483-.482" dia OD after firing. OL chamber, the fired casing will have an OD right at .472".473" that leaves the casing with a ..450-.451" ID after firing. No resizing needed, it's away a lot of the Sharps cartridges were chambered in originals. The 50-70 and 45-70 (2.1") were chambered larger to accommodate gov't greasers ammo though. You can't chamber a round loaded with a greasers in a OL chamber. ???? bobw
good scoop, bobw - thanx. those are about the before and after firing spex i was expecting. perfect.

i *NEVER* want to load greasers for bpcr, ever again ... and was clearly aware of the OL chamber not allowing a greaser to enter. good. :mrgreen:
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Bobw-THX for the info :!:
What is different from the std Shiloh chamber and the OL in the leade/throat?
G.
Orville

Re: Orville Loomer chamber

Post by Orville »

RFD if you ordered one of my chambers for the 45 2.1 (45-70) the chamber dimension ar the end will be .478 with a 7 degree lead. You will still be able to load a .457-458 lubed bullet, the cases will have to be neck sized to hold a bore size pp bullet or astandard RCBS sizing die may size it enough to hold the bullet also without expanding. This chamber is a copy of an original Borchart chamber.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

THX Orville. What is the leade of the std .45 chamber in a Shiloh?
G.
rfd

Re: Orville Loomer chamber

Post by rfd »

Orville wrote:RFD if you ordered one of my chambers for the 45 2.1 (45-70) the chamber dimension ar the end will be .478 with a 7 degree lead. You will still be able to load a .457-458 lubed bullet, the cases will have to be neck sized to hold a bore size pp bullet or astandard RCBS sizing die may size it enough to hold the bullet also without expanding. This chamber is a copy of an original Borchart chamber.
thank you, orville - nothing better than getting straight scoop from the creator!

again, no lubed bullets gonna run down the bore of my forthcoming shiloh, it'll be ppb's all the way.
BR ~ TMA ~ BPG
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Lumpy Grits wrote:THX Orville. What is the leade of the std .45 chamber in a Shiloh?
G.
2.5 degrees.

Chris.
Orville

Post by Orville »

The lead on a standard Shiloh chamber is 45 degrees with a 2.5 throat.
Charter Member O-G-A-N-T

Shooting grease groove bullets in a sharps is new technology and just a passing fad.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Thank you.
G.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Sorry rfd for the mis information. I was thinking of my 45 2 7/8 chamber and Orville was right on the money. bobw
bobw