Providing Stock Blank

Ask Shiloh questions about your Shiloh Sharps Rifle.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

fosjam

Providing Stock Blank

Post by fosjam »

How might it change the price of a Shiloh Rifle if I provide the blank for the stock? I'm going through Cecil Fredi for some Dark English Walnut. I remember seeing somewhere a price for shiloh cutting your stock blank but I can't find it now.
bryany

Re: Providing Stock Blank

Post by bryany »

You'll want to call Shiloh for that information I think.

Bryan
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
cw50-70

Post by cw50-70 »

Weren't they pretty picky about the wood they used due to the thinness of the wrist or something?
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

I did the Cecil Fredi route for English Walnut, paid $500.00 for a nice medium grade for my 1877 . Shiloh charged me $460.00 to carve the stock and fore end. Cecil was/is the guy Shiloh recommended when I ordered my rifle. You can avoid the $460.00 carving fee if you let Shiloh pick your wood , I wanted to pick mine this time so the fee was applied, the upside is my fore end piece had a crack Shiloh called me to confirm it was a Cecil blank. A couple weeks go by I call to see if all is well or is there something I need to do, nope all taken care of and the rifle is due anytime now.
That’s how it went for me and what I learned.
fosjam

Post by fosjam »

Randy Bohannon wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:56 pm I did the Cecil Fredi route for English Walnut, paid $500.00 for a nice medium grade for my 1877 . Shiloh charged me $460.00 to carve the stock and fore end. Cecil was/is the guy Shiloh recommended when I ordered my rifle. You can avoid the $460.00 carving fee if you let Shiloh pick your wood , I wanted to pick mine this time so the fee was applied, the upside is my fore end piece had a crack Shiloh called me to confirm it was a Cecil blank. A couple weeks go by I call to see if all is well or is there something I need to do, nope all taken care of and the rifle is due anytime now.
That’s how it went for me and what I learned.
Thanks Randy!
Eric Johanen

Post by Eric Johanen »

For my 1877 I used an old stable blank of nice European walnut I had earmarked for a .505 Gibbs that was never going to get built. I went this route because it was going to be the last rifle I would order (health problems). Nice straight grain and dense. Very good figure and I needed to use it on something special. Quoted price for supplying your own wood is about right and I would not have done this except for a very special rifle with most of the extra features I wanted. Pleased with the end result. Beautiful rifle! To me the extra cost was worth it. Yahoo account is all messed up after the latest update and I cannot get pictures to my computer to post. If you wish to go this route go for it.
Randy Bohannon

Post by Randy Bohannon »

Eric,

That’s good news you are happy with your 1877, I am still in the wait until it’s done mode. I do think the call to come and pick it up will be any day now.
1minute

Post by 1minute »

Even though it might be expensive, picking out a piece of wood is a piece of cake. I've done a few stocks from scratch, and fit and finish to Shiloh standards is a real bear. I'd not expect much of a discount.
1Minute
parkergunz

Post by parkergunz »

This is the wood on my 1877. It is a piece of Shiloh factory supplied extra fancy that was hand selected by my daughter in May 2018. They charge a $50 fee to hand select and it's worth the charge. Kirk showed us what he had in inventory and we narrowed them down to 5 pieces. We went outside with a spray bottle of acetone, wetted each piece and compared them in the sunshine. I'm very pleased with the result. AAA finish and the fit is exquisite.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.