Colored vials for spirit front sight

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Colored vials for spirit front sight

Post by kwilliams »

Just in from shooting the Ballard (32" barrel) under a very over cast sky. Lately under similar conditions I find it somewhat difficult for me to see the bubble and verify it is centered. In sun light it seems to be less of a issue. Its a MVA #113 and they do not offer another color as I was hoping to try. Any suggestions or a source for another spirit vial that would fit? Was shooting at 200 yds, so the tang sight height did not put much angle on barrel to view the bubble?
thanks
kw
mdeland

Re: Colored vials for spirit front sight

Post by mdeland »

I got a spirit level front sight from Pedersoli and while not as well made as MVA they did send Blue and Green vials if I remember correctly. I can go get you a measurement if you want. Perhaps they are similar enough in size to be used in your sight.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Why not call MVA and ask'em where they get theirs from?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Had MVA on the phone earlier today....they did not offer a alternative and I did not push the issue. I unscrewed one of the vial caps to get a measurement of the housing bore but the vial is glued in with what looks like silicone? So was not able to get a accurate diameter...seems to be somewhere around .230". Looking for surveyor instrument vial source seems to be a solution. Had a problem finding a vial last year for my Axtel sight....got the diameter but the lengths where too short or too long. Hate to "dig" out the MVA vial with out a alternative one.
kw
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

There was a post here quite a while ago about vials of different colors and what would work. I don’t remember a whole bunch but maybe McMaster-Carr had them.. you might try a google search.
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

These measure .197 in diameter and .472 long. You could probably buy some plastic tubing get the diameter close and then center them and silicone them back in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

The reason the MVA vials are siliconed in place is because they have a curvature to them and they have to be oriented with curve at the top of course. The silicone stops them from rotating under recoil. The sun faded the colour in mine after a few years and when I picked up replacements Jim gave me that instruction.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

Where did you find the ones in the picture?
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Pedersoli
SFogler

Post by SFogler »

C Sharps had some but you have to call them. Amazon has a lot of vials - might check them.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

I'd bet these could easily be made to work in any spirit level tube larger than their diameters. All you have to do is shim them up against the tube window from the back side and add a tiny squirt of silicone chalk to make them stay put.
craneman

Post by craneman »

Dixie Gun Works shows them in stock.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/pag ... l+Vial+Set

Todd
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!
--Benjamin Franklin
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

Thanks guys for the source info. The Dixie/Pedersoli set looks good.
kw
Tebbeman

Post by Tebbeman »

I purchased a preowned BPCR rifle that had a light red level in the front sight...I thought it was cool but wasn't sure where to get another. So I took it apart and low and behold, the previous owner had cut a shim from a red Coke Cola can and placed it under the vial...viola a reddish vial. It was pretty easy to see.

My 2 cents.

Kenny T
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you...Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul & the other for your Freedom!