Buffalo camp - wet plate photos

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

James Hunt

Post by James Hunt »

Kantishna: You are right you seldom see shiny stuff in a camp scene, it has been used so much. But trust me, everything in that camp is documented to the period, and further documented to a hunters camp. The majority of those items are from the period. The shiny stuff is tin, and repro new. That would include the dipper, and one or two pails. But again, most every kitchen, skinning and other camp items are not only period correct, but from the period. The hide I am holding in one shot was taken last January I think, it was salted and sat in my house till the shoot. I hosed it off and besides the smell was good to go, it was a wet not tanned hide.

Rifles: the one rifle is a Shiloh, but the other is an original model 1872 trapdoor - .50gvt that has a beautiful bore.

The only thing we are struggling with is original or correct reloading equipment. I have seen only several molds and the cheapest was $800 and the guy wouldn't budge. (May we all bow our heads and ask Him on high for someone to start making a period correct Sharps paper patch mold that can be purchased without stealing from your retirement account).
Clark B

Re: Tin Type Photos

Post by Clark B »

kantishna wrote:Hello.....First thing, I want to tell you I think your pictures are GREAT, and this is small stuff. The pots, pans and cups of the day would not have the aluminum shine.l Cast iron, tin ect. just reflect light different. Again, love the pictires. Just color me green with envy.. Take Care DWC
I beg to differ. I have a few correctly made tin dipped items laying around and when new they were quite shiney, much moreso than stuff made of modern electroplated material.
S2.4

mould

Post by S2.4 »

A few years ago Corbin told me that he could make one that sometimes came with the rifles of the time.
pete

Post by pete »

I know it's not that great but here's a photo we did a year ago just playing around with a digital point and shoot. This thread got me interested again so I took a picture of the print with the Nikon D90. I manually out of focused it and it helped create a softer look. It's against the back of the house and I propped up the boards to cover the foundation.
The shaded area at the top is from my wife's hand shading the lens from the sun. It was an accident but I thought the effect was similar to some of the things that show up on old photos once in awhile.
boge

Post by boge »

Pete, the rifle, ctg. belt, one piece fronted boots, hat, etc. are perfect IMO. The Victorian Era non-smile as well. :wink:
James Hunt

Post by James Hunt »

Pete: nice pose, nice accouterments, but honestly I would not take it out of focus for this portrait. Look at that image of sharpening knives. It is very much in focus, plenty of depth of field on my face, with the edges going out of focus as I understand it because of the type of portrait lens used. Nice accidental touch of blur on the top though.
mdeland

Post by mdeland »

Man, if there ever was a web site with more interesting people, talents and giftings, I sure have never heard of it! :lol: MD
pete

Post by pete »

Thanks for all the compliments. I used to compete a little in cowboy mounted shooting and collecting the clothes etc. was fun. Now I can get all dressed up but I've nowhere to go :)

James;
I blurred the photo in varying degrees and this one is blurred the most. I agree that the originals could be quite clear. It just seems to my eye at least that they still aren't what I'd call as clear and crisp as what today's cameras do. The original in focus version of this photo just didn't look right to me. You're right though more in focus would have been better. FWIW your camp and assemblage looks very good.

This weekend there's a rendezvous in Nebraska www.granddukealexis.com/. We went a couple of years ago and it's pretty cool. The guy playing Custer has been on several tv shows and really takes the thing seriously. The one playing Buffalo Bill has quite a camp complete with fiberglass reproductions of buffalo quarters hanging up that look quite real.

mdeland;
Well said.
James Hunt

Post by James Hunt »

Pete: In the absence of convenient period photographers, it would be nice if a digital / photoshop technique could be provided as a recipe for those of us interested in the historical camp and a desire to document it with a more period look. Hopefully, this thread will not be forgotten and inspire someone with real photo skill to research it.

The absolute best hunters camp I have ever seen comes from a regular event in Germany of all places. Complete with abundant hides, wagons, tongues drying on poles - they really do a bang up job. Very accurate, clothing mostly hand made. While I can't afford a new wagon, we keep our eye open for serviceable originals. It about kills me when I drive past someones house and see one rotting in the front yard with two yards of dirt and a flower bed planted in it as decoration.

I also do mounted shooting, but in my area it is mostly wranglers, chinks and guns strapped to your chest for easy access. Not historical, fun though.

Right now my efforts are going into completing an accurate portrayal of the camp reloading component - I'm am tired of telling people that Billy Dixon and I buy our cartridges from the Sharps company.
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

Wow, wow wow, James ! The darn picutres look like they REALLY came from the 1800's. Thanks for posting this which is educational for this here uneducated camera guy(me).
Keith Lay
bryany

Post by bryany »

Dan, I thought those guys really looked like that.
“I wonder if God created man because He was disappointed with the monkey.” Mark Twain
Steve Rhoades

Post by Steve Rhoades »

They do to those staying in your cabin!
Tasmanian Rebel

Post by Tasmanian Rebel »

You ain't joking Steve LOL. After 12 days with those ruffians, feel like I've stayed a spell in Animal House. Last time I stayed at their cabin I remember waking up one morning about 6:00 AM with all my clothes and boots on and not being able to remember how I got in my own bed. Guess it's infinitely better than waking up WITHOUT clothes on. :shock: :shock: :D
Keith Lay
Hidehunter

Post by Hidehunter »

This is an interesting discussion with some great pictures. I've taken some photography classes but am at a loss to explain just what gives the tin-types their unique look.

The "antique" setting on a digital camera doesn't quite achieve this look. So there's obviously more to it than just B&W vs. color, sepia toning and soft focus. I've seen many instances on TV where a scene was obviously shot on videotape and fake-looking streaks, spltches and lettering were added in an attempt to make it look like vintage movie footage.

It would be interest (at least to me) to do a grey scale and resolution analysis of a tin-type to see if it can be digitally duplicated.

I wish I were one of the subjects in a buffalo camp picture - preferrably one from "back in the day." Of course that would mean I'd be dead by now so maybe not...
pete

Post by pete »

Dan; That's cool thanks.

James;

Yea that would be cool to get some info. of replicating the real thing. I saw some photos of a camp done in Europe too although I can't remember where. Their stuff was inpressive. It's sad that here in the buffalo country of old this type of thing is seldom done.
I agree that mounted shooting has gone down hill with regard to the look. I got frustrated about that and the cost so I quit about three years ago. Sure is an adrenaline rush though.
I hope you get your reloading equipment collected.

Hidehunter;
I'm not sure what the grey scale thing is but it sounds interesting and I'm with you on just what is it that makes the real thing the real thing. Yea you'd be dead but you might have had fun first..............then again.