Goex Ctg powder

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

GST

Goex Ctg powder

Post by GST »

Even though they don't make it anymore, I had a senior moment and can't remember where in the F granulation scale Ctg falls. I am thinking it was like a 2.5 F but cant seem to be sure.

Scott
Charter member of the Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
buffalocannon

Re: Goex Ctg powder

Post by buffalocannon »

I was always told that Cartridge is just a higher grade FFg.
Kodiak

Post by Kodiak »

Earlier today I looked in the back of the powder- magazine to find that I still have 10 cans of CTG., MA08B. I haven't tried any in the 45/70 Shiloh, and with shooting the money bullet these days ..... gosh, who knows!!!!!!

Jim
I don't always shoot well, but when I do there isn't any reason.
GST

Post by GST »

I know I will be beaten about the head and thorax for saying this but I have kinda lost interest in my Shiloh's lately. I have accumulated a few nice muzzleloaders and asked about the CTG to see where it would fit in with them. No way I'm getting rid of my 2 Shiloh's, this might be a phase I'm going thru, Iv'e been thru several phases already.

Scott
Charter member of the Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
4570sharps

Post by 4570sharps »

Goex ctg. is the most accurate powder I have ever used in my 45-70 shiloh #3 sporter. I don't know about mesh stuff, but I poured some ffg out on a piece of white paper and some ctg to compare, and to my eyes, ctg looks a bit coarser than ffg. In my rifle, ffg shoots about four or five inches higher than ctg. Maybe ctg burns a bit slower? Ctg has always burned moister and cleaner than ffg in my rifle, and doesn't foul the brass near as bad. I can shoot a 10 shot string without wiping with ctg, but have to wipe after 3 to 5 shots with ffg. I still have a small stash of ctg, but when it's gone, I'll have to find a replacement.
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

4570sharps, in my Hartford .45-70, "ctg" was good, but 3F was so much better with a PJ#45001 C'moor.
Gary
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
buffalocannon

Post by buffalocannon »

Coonies still had some Cartridge last I checked. When it is all gone, I will be going back to Goex FFg, which I always found to be great as long as you slow-pour through a droptube and compress a fair amount. I have tried the foreign powders and have no interest in them.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I like cartridge it's accurate, but it's slow.
I've been shooting the KIK quite a bit , and IF Goex comes back out with a new improoved supeduty powder I'll be glad to try it, BUT it's got it's work cut out for it to wean me off of the KIK.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?