40 2-5/8"

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

50gunner

Re: 40 2-5/8"

Post by 50gunner »

Bob, hell of a deal, i love the cartridge, it's how i came to be with '74 Sharps rifles, i saw a long barreled [34 inch] rifle standing in the rack of a LGS, i asked JR what's up, he said 45-120 Sharps, set of RCBS dies and 200 sticks of Jamison brass, 800 bucks out the door, i paid the man, contacted Mr. Bagwell on another forum, he said, grab everything you have for that big fire breathing POS and get down here LOL!.........................and so it began, two originals and 8 Shiloh's later, it's a great sport! You best take care when those originals show up, awful easy to chit-can a checkbook with them ; ]

DD, i have three 45-70's, two Shiloh's and an original '86 with half round barrel, the 40 should make a great light big game hunting rifle, speaking of 45-70's, what does everyone use to get absolutely accurate grease cookie thickness, i cant seem to find a flat pan around here, my 3rd 45-70 just came last week, Mrs. Bagwell was nice enough to sell me Bill's Montana Roughrider, it's one of five rifles Kirk tooled up and made with 20 twist #1 heavy barrels, i want to do the rifle right, just annealed 180 sticks Starline brass last night, i'm gonna be damn good with that rifle come hunting season, it will be the only Sharps i use this season.

First load test, 75gr KIK 2F from the old metal cans, CCI-BR2, 0.180" black magic cookie, 0.400" compression, two 0.012" playing card wads, 516gr parallel sided, base pour, paper patch from Ed Tilton mould with 0.250" flat meplat, 1229 fps, 11 fps e.s.

Old buddy Bill shot his 500 ish grain bullets in the 1220-1240 fps range, betting his ladder barrel sight correlation marks will be on.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

50gunner,
When I was using grease cookies, I would put some water on the pan [which is self leveling], then add
a pre-weighted amount of lube depending on how thick a cookie I needed.
After all the lube melts, let the pan cool off and take the lube layer out of the pan. The very edges of the lube will be slightly thicker than the rest of the lube layer which is a uniform thickness.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
50gunner

Post by 50gunner »

Hello MikeT, many Thanks! that worked perfect, i was reading your post earlier, put a pan in the oven with GC's at .195/.204" ish, melted lube at 200 degrees, poured in a quart of hot sink water, let gin in oven while i put out hay then had supper, all cooled down now, perfect sheet of lube material flat as a pancake.

Poured out water, washed pan while lube block was drying on towels, back in pan, all good.

Thanks again Sir.
77 sharps

Post by 77 sharps »

I’ve used just about every method out there for making consistent lube wads and I’ve settled for a sheet of glass out of a picture frame. Set the glass on a table top, lay a slab of lube one it, cover it with waxed paper and use a rolling pin and spacers to get the correct thickness. Fold the waxed paper around the glass and set it in the refrigerator to chill it for easier handling. Easy to make what ever thickness I want and quick.
50gunner

Post by 50gunner »

77 sharps, Thanks for that, i could get machine shop Bud to make me two framing squares for the glass, one at 0.100" height for the 40-90 SBN should i be forced to shoot greasers in it for awhile, and one at 0.200" for the rest of my Sharps rifles, i heard of machining out a square pan perfectly flat but cant get info on that.