.45-100-2.6 Smokeless Loads?

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

gunlaker

Re: .45-100-2.6 Smokeless Loads?

Post by gunlaker »

Kurt wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:27 pm Chris,

If I was to have only one .45 caliber BPCR it would be the .45-2.4.
I'd agree, but mostly because of the Shilohs I own, my 1:16 twist .45-2.4" is the one I've got shooting the best. It's unbelievably accurate. But I also like all my .45-2.6" & .45-2-7/8" too :-). To be honest I'm pretty attached to all of them.

Chris.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Of course it's even better to have a rifle with big impressive cases but load them up with some Swiss.

Chris.
[/quote]

Never did load any high dollar swiss in my 50-140 Goex Fg worked the best in my early years with it. I did find that I got fairly decent results with using up all the oddball Elephant powders in it. It sure gobbled them up and made them go away in a hurry. Really nasty fouling but it would clean out allright. bobw
bobw
bobw

Post by bobw »

Of course it's even better to have a rifle with big impressive cases but load them up with some Swiss.

Chris.
[/quote]

Never did load any high dollar swiss in my 50-140 Goex Fg worked the best in my early years with it. I did find that I got fairly decent results with using up all the oddball Elephant powders in it. It sure gobbled them up and made them go away in a hurry. Really nasty fouling but it would clean out allright. bobw
bobw
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I used to have a .50-140. I bought it used at a gun show. It was a C. Sharps 1874 with a 34" heavy barrel. I only used Goex Fg at the time as it was all that was available up here in British Columbia back then. It was honestly too much gun for me to shoot well.

The only rifles I have in longer than 2.4" cases are bull barrel guns and I shoot mainly Swiss Fg in them. My 14lb .45-2-7/8" ( actual weight 15lb ) is really nice with PP bullets and a case full of Swiss Fg. My new 16lb .45-2.6" hasn't been shot enough yet to know, but it has enough weight to be a comfortable shooter with 1.5 or Fg. Time will tell what works best in that one, but my plan is to give a go with loads similar to what Bryan Y. used in his the last time we talked. I've had nothing but success paying attention to what he's doing :-).

Chris.
bobw

Post by bobw »

Chris, what are you getting for powder these days and cost? How's the availibility? What have you been up to this winter? Did you get to Ottawa? ..bobw
bobw
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

bobw wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:51 am Chris, what are you getting for powder these days and cost? How's the availibility? What have you been up to this winter? Did you get to Ottawa? ..bobw
To be honest Bob I've only recently got back into shooting much. Because of Covid our local matches were cancelled, and my local range had a policy where you had to wear a mask when not shooting. By the time I got my gear all set up my glasses got so fogged that I just stopped shooting for a while. I'm back at it now. A little rusty, but it'll come back.

Yesterday I put some rounds through the Shiloh I won at Robert Garibay's match a while back. I sure appreciate this rifle. It looks like a really good shooter.

Reloading stuff is tricky to get if you don't already have a little set aside. Primers are nearly non-existent, but I did manage to pick up a brick of Fed LP Match for $80 Canadian ( maybe $65 USD ). I've seen CCI BR2's for $170 Canadian ( maybe $135 USD ).

Powder is hard to get. The guy who normally stocks it up here decided to nearly double the price when the Goex plant blew up. I think he wants $59 Canadian ( maybe $47 USD ) a pound for Swiss, which isn't in stock anyway. There are other people that bring it in at better prices but it's sporadic.

I've never shot in Ottawa. I really should, but it's about 3000 miles from me so it's a lot cheaper to shoot in the interior of BC and the western US for me. Besides, our gas prices are so high almost no one wants to road trip across the provinces. I just paid the equivalent of $6 USD per gallon for 89 octane!

Chris.
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

I Have been doing a reasonable amount of shooting over this winter, but most of it with my "parlor guns". .32-40's and .38-55's. with smokeless. The air at my local range is so still in winter that if I touch off 3 or 4 black powder rounds, the berms become invisible due to the smoke.

I've been experimenting with a few of my highwalls to find a smokeless load that will allow for good prone practice at 200 & 300. I haven't gone so far as to shoot smokeless in my Shilohs.

Chris.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

Hey Chris

I've been loading a good bit of 4198 in my Shiloh 40-70SS and getting good results with that. I'm not a serious competitor though and shoot mostly offhand and sitting with it. Also a nice 4198 load in my rebarreled Peabody 45-70. Those seem to be the rifles I go to when I feel too lazy to clean.

Curious is that $6 gas price for us gallons or imperial gallons? If I remember right gas in Canada has an extra pint, or is it a quart, to the gallon? I remember when I was working near Grand Forks back in the early 70s, the gas worked out pretty close to the US price.

George
PacRATT

Post by PacRATT »

Gas in Winnipeg MB this morning $1.639 per liter ($6.203 US gal.)
I’m thinking of getting a horse and wagon to travel to matches this year.
I just opened my 45-70 C-sharps 1885 to 45-100 Sharps so i have to save on gas to pay for powder.
Roger
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

George Babits wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:35 pm Hey Chris

I've been loading a good bit of 4198 in my Shiloh 40-70SS and getting good results with that. I'm not a serious competitor though and shoot mostly offhand and sitting with it. Also a nice 4198 load in my rebarreled Peabody 45-70. Those seem to be the rifles I go to when I feel too lazy to clean.

Curious is that $6 gas price for us gallons or imperial gallons? If I remember right gas in Canada has an extra pint, or is it a quart, to the gallon? I remember when I was working near Grand Forks back in the early 70s, the gas worked out pretty close to the US price.

George
Yeah I converted it to US gallons and USD. It's pretty complicated actually :-). We buy gas in litres and there are 4.5 to an imperial gallon and 3.78 to a US gallon. So we have imperial quarts and imperial pints too. But in the old days, when we bought oil up here, I'm pretty sure they were US quarts. I asked my wife if it affects the recipe book too. Do we have imperial teaspoons and tablespoons and cups? It's all pretty silly stuff.

I just got back from putting a few bucks of gas into the jeep. The 89 octane I put into the pickup is now about 2.25 per liter.

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

And, wah laah, that will all go away when Canada becomes part of the USA.

Gas is $1.69 U.S. Gallon, (maybe even less), and with any luck Swiss $14.00 a pound delivered and primers $29.95 M no HAZMAT.

How cool would that be? 8)
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

Before Shooting (is that an oxymoron?) there were these. This was our front lawn in 1979 and I was going through 15 gallons (Imp.) of regular and 5 gallons of Avgas 100/130 a WEEK. Regular was $0.37 a gallon and the Avgas was $1.00. The SSR snow-pro would only burn aviation fuel but somehow a little always made it into the trail machines too. Never had a problem with pre-ignition. We were putting 2000 KM. on those trail machines some winters. That's the Ottawa river and the trail system was double groomed for hundreds of miles. We used the racer for Ice Drags.

I don't even want to figure out what it would cost now. Yikes !!
scan642.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
J.B.

Post by J.B. »

Not to be left out down here.. Using Gunlakers figures..for we also are controlled by the metric system and use their litres at 3.78 to a U.S. Gallon. Todays figures, in U.S. dollars per gallon for our town equate to... $5:29 for standard unleaded ( ie. 89-91 supposedly) & diesel. 95 octane comes in at $5:68 usd per gallon & rounding it up with 98 octane @ $5:96. Still we are perhaps a little more conditioned to being 'ripped off' but the jumps of the last month or two seem to have caught most of us out. How much is justified and how much is greed...well I'm sure we all have our views on that one.
.. Hope to catch up with you in June Paul. We'll be the ones with track marks, bar codes and ear tags. ( gee I hope they stop there :shock: )

best rgds.. Gavin.
"an experimental weapon..with experimental ammunition ? ...Lets experiment "
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

You had me ROTFLMAO with that one Gavin. June just can't get here soon enough. See you there . . .

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

desert deuce wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:01 pm And, wah laah, that will all go away when Canada becomes part of the USA.

Gas is $1.69 U.S. Gallon, (maybe even less), and with any luck Swiss $14.00 a pound delivered and primers $29.95 M no HAZMAT.

How cool would that be? 8)
Sounds pretty good :-)

Chris.