Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Kenny Wasserburger

Re: Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Glenn,

This is a grown up discussion, not really suited to the Pyrodex weenie crowd. Using the faux powder crutch, doesn’t really pertain to this discussion.

You don’t like it scroll on by.

Or if you have something valid to contribute too, then do so, :lol: .

Kenny Wasserburger
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Kenny Wasserburger

Mike Herth,

Vinegar is acetic acid, which is recognized as a factor in mild steel corrosion. I don’t put that stuff in my gun barrels.

Just my opinion.

Kenny Wasserburger.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Aviator

Post by Aviator »

I used to use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine for clean up at the end of the day.
I think it is an effective solvent, but it appears to cause rust.
On the rare occasions that I use it now, I promptly follow with oil.
Kenny Wasserburger

Steve it is a possibility, I have noticed some light brown too on occasion. And that could be what Mike H saw also.

MPro7 alone might be our best bet. More reason to use just it

Now days I use a few wet Mpro7 patches then a couple dry after my last shot. In the match that is, still use Butch’s to clean before going home then Kroil to store. But dry the bore well before shooting again.

Kenny

Jeanne Ring

Post by Jeanne Ring »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:56 pm Glenn,

This is a grown up discussion, not really suited to the Pyrodex weenie crowd. Using the faux powder crutch, doesn’t really pertain to this discussion.

You don’t like it scroll on by.

Or if you have something valid to contribute too, then do so, :lol: .

Kenny Wasserburger

Gee wilikers, looks like I hit a nerve. Sorry 'bout that.

You ass-u-me incorrectly that I don't have a voice. I don't know about where you are, but here in Oklahoma, we women are allowed to vote, be free-thinkers, and, heck, we even are allowed to have separate Facebook accounts from our husbands.

Bless your heart.
Kenny Wasserburger

You just proved my point in spades.

Kenny W.

mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Kenny and Steve, thanks for your responses, that’s what I was afraid of. I’ll try an 8 oz bottle of M-Pro 7 for cleaning and see if it picks up anything the Windex missed. I’m no chemist and I haven’t had a problem with rust as I keep the bore well oiled. Learned several years ago to dry the bore before shooting, it cost me a couple of Norma cases.
Mike
Kenny Wasserburger

[attachment=0]796A7061-6DFB-4A77-BC63-0AD4207E4303.jpeg[/attachment]Mike and Steve,

I just checked Lyman’s site they say Butch’s protects against corrosion. Wonder if that brown stuff isn’t more carbon?

Kenny W.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Kenny, that thought occurred to me as well, but brown always raised a red flag as rust to me. Hopefully a chemist or metallurgist will join in and shed some clarity. How is carbon fouling different from the black gunk we swab out of the bore?
semtav

Post by semtav »

Started using Windex multi vinegar from the start. On the recommendation of MLV I believe.
Couple dry patches and a thorough dousing with CRC Power Lube and put away til next time. (Sometimes a couple years)Haven't found any corrosion yet. Altho a look at the ingredients will scare the weak at heart.

Only time I found what looked like corrosion was when I substituted Butches and came back 6 months later.
Bout had a heart attack. No pitting but an awful.lot of brown came out of the barrel.
Kenny Wasserburger

Found this on a special solvent site.

The brown is carbon.

Ten minutes is long enough for the chemicals in Wipe-Out to react if there is any fouling left in the barrel. Remember that copper will leave a blue patch. Powder fouling will leave a patch greyish black. Carbon will always leave a brown color on the patch.
https://sharpshootr.com › tactical-ad...
Tactical Advantage Tac Platform Brushless Bore Cleaner - Sharp Shoot

KW

PS

I will definitely keep using Butch’s BP boreshine

semtav

Post by semtav »

That's nice to know. Says it's safe on stainless so I liberally wiped my SS barrel a few time and coated a shiny piece of steel . Don't know if I have any carbon in that barrel, but if it comes out brown I'll know it's not rust.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

Well done Kenny!
flatsguide

Post by flatsguide »

Ian, Kenny,
I’ve got a 200 yard bullseye match coming up this Thursday, I’ll try a more dilute oil water mix. Ian, well done at the Oak Ridge Creedmoor match and it was very nice meeting you.
Cheers Richard
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Richard 7 parts water to 1 part napa cutting oil works good for me
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?