Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ian45662

Re: Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Post by ian45662 »

flatsguide wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:46 pm Ian, Kenny,
I’ve got a 200 yard bullseye match coming up this Thursday, I’ll try a more dilute oil water mix. Ian, well done at the Oak Ridge Creedmoor match and it was very nice meeting you.
Cheers Richard
Thanks Richard!! Twas good to meet you and good shooting to you as well. Always good to meet forum people in person. As soon as you said flatsguide I knew who you were. Now I have a face for the name.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

WOW Kenny W.
nothing else...just WOW.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

kenny sd wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:28 am WOW Kenny W.
nothing else...just WOW.
Not sure what that means.

KW
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
jackrabbit

Post by jackrabbit »

45bpcr wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:58 pm And this thread demonstrates exactly what turns new folks off about BPCR.

Craig
I surely don't want to get in the middle of a pissing match, but there a couple of points I want to make.

1) Forums are forums! This stuff happens on every forum I have ever been around! If a little online feud keeps somebody from shooting, it's going to keep them from every other past time that has a forum involved with it. I know from experience several other kinds of shooting, snowmobiles, chainsaws, cheesemaking, and even QUILTING have the same or worse pissing matches constantly! Sorry to tell you, but our disagreements are nothing special and this is not what is keeping folks from BPCR.

2) Every forum has a variety of people that "live" there and start to feel ownership in it. In the good ones (like ours) there is transparency in that the posters don't conceal their identity and they have real world experience that can be proven. There are also a variety of idiots who know nothing but gain some type of ego boost from thinking they look like an expert online.

Personally, I kind of like it when someone who actually knows what they are talking about gets tired of the bs and tells the idiot where to get off. The idiot has the option to go to a match and attempt to prove himself right, but he won't. If there is a ruination of a forum, it is these idiots being allowed to run things and spread untrue information. Most of the experts get tired of arguing with the idiots and eventually just quit posting, which leaves the idiots to run things. If you look at the vast amount of knowledge our forum has lost over the last 2 or 3 years by top notch shooters no longer posting, you will see what I mean. Thank you Kenny for remaining active and calling out the bs. bobw also does a good job, as well as a couple of others. When I first started shooting BPCR, the biggest challenge was sorting through the crap to find good info. It took a while to figure out who knew what they were doing and who was full of crap. Give me harsh truths over nice bs any day.

Take care my friends, Cody
Aero

Post by Aero »

Hilarious thread and great entertainment for my once every week or two visit to see what the "make lots of smoke and fling big boolits" crowd is up to. Couple questions for the experts............

Does bullet lube have any bearing on the ability to control fouling when shooting long strings of shots in hot and dry conditions?

Did the ODG's use M-pro 7 and the info was lost over time only to be rediscovered?

Asking for a friend
Kenny Wasserburger

Good to see you post Aero.

The old dead guys used paper patched bullets no lube to mess with.

And they wiped between shots some even oiled the bore before the next shot. :shock:

Up to 5 Rods was mentioned to use.

Plus the Fischer brush was often mentioned, very similar to the BACO wipes or Brent’s bore Gophers. :shock:

Nothing new under the sun, except Mpro7. :lol: :lol:

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

OldVarkWSO

Post by OldVarkWSO »

I’ll jump in here. I shot in the Desert International match last month and learned a lot by watching the other shooters and talking with them. Improved my score quite a bit from the previous year. During the string of hot days, I believe my Shiloh #1 heavy barrel was the hottest I’ve ever felt - almost flesh scorching hot. Am sure that increased the fouling - with an inverse effect on my score. :lol:

I’ve had BACO bore wipes for some time but haven’t used them much. Am going to try them again with M-Pro 7 as the hot weather approaches now. Just ordered a gallon from Midway - for those who are interested, shipping is free (at for least today).

Cheers -

OVW
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Aero wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:31 am Hilarious thread and great entertainment for my once every week or two visit to see what the "make lots of smoke and fling big boolits" crowd is up to. Couple questions for the experts............

Does bullet lube have any bearing on the ability to control fouling when shooting long strings of shots in hot and dry conditions?

Did the ODG's use M-pro 7 and the info was lost over time only to be rediscovered?

Asking for a friend
Aero as far as I remember, you might know more about shooting in nasty conditions than many :-).

I think the ODG's might have wanted M-Pro7 if they didn't have the time to slowly clean them completely before they were called on to take another shot.

Are you still shooting BP at all?

Chris.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Ohh, that Aero is a crafty rascal. Bullet lubes and bore wiping fluid, both more or less come under the idea of the search for a better mouse trap.

Basis, shooting lead alloy grease grooved bullets propelled by black powder require certain hard fouling control methods that that if not controlled will diminish accuracy.

Premis, do grease groove bullets require lube in the grooves the purpose of which is to retard the speed that bore fouling hardens?

Fact, the purpose of wiping the bore is to promote accuracy by controlling to an acceptable level or removing hard fouling from the bore.

Observations, under the hot dry conditions specified the hotter and drier the conditions the faster hard fouling will accumulate in the bore.

Solution, employ a bullet lube that demonstrates the ability to keep the hard fouling relatively soft until the bore fouling mitigation has been deployed under dry and increasingly hot conditions at barrel level.

Conclusion, if you do not satisfactorily control hard fouling in the bore you will not shoot good scores. Note the qualifying word, 'satisfactorily'.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
hueyw

Post by hueyw »

probably when Aero was a lad it was known as m-pro 1 or maybe 2.
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

Are there any negatives to M-Pro 7?
Tom
Woody

Post by Woody »

Cost.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
Kenny Wasserburger

It is spendy.

That’s for sure.

KW

desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Was $49.99 a gallon jug at MIDWAY, buy two and something else to get over $100.00 for free shipping.

The real question is: What's it worth to not foul out at a target match fired in hot dry conditions ?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Aero

Post by Aero »

gunlaker wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:04 pm
Aero wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 11:31 am Hilarious thread and great entertainment for my once every week or two visit to see what the "make lots of smoke and fling big boolits" crowd is up to. Couple questions for the experts............

Asking for a friend
Aero as far as I remember, you might know more about shooting in nasty conditions than many :-).

I think the ODG's might have wanted M-Pro7 if they didn't have the time to slowly clean them completely before they were called on to take another shot.

Are you still shooting BP at all?

Chris.
Hey Chris-

No, haven't shot a BP match for quite a few years. Still shooting LR, just different guns that make smaller holes, but same game sort of. Haven't sold off any of my BP stuff just yet. I'm waiting for the next Quigley movie and the resurgence of Buffalo gun shooting. Then I'll sell off everything and have enough to retire.

Some really nasty conditions out on the high plains today, I'll tell ya. 25 mph sustained with gusts to 40 or a little more and drier than a popcorn fart. Spent the day working on the range at Byers and between the tumbleweeds and sand in the air it was brutal. You'd have had a hard time controlling fouling no matter what secret sauce you were using.

And Huey's wrong. We didn't have no stinkin' M-pro 7 when I was a youngster. We had blow tubes and we liked it. You'd blow through that tube until you were dizzy, then try to catch your breath and get off another shot before the fouling in your barrel turned to concrete. And if you didn't get it off fast enough and the boolit went in the dirt in front of the target you'd blow harder and by god that's just the way it was. We didn't need no stinking wiping crap. It was a reals mans game. Now it's all bore pigs and fancy expensive wiping concoctions. I bet the sissy ass BP shooters now are using plastic wiping rods.