Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Post by JonnyV »

So does this mean that we should switch out to oak dowel for our wiping rods??
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Noooo Johnny V........Aero is just trying his hand at comedy since his favorite comedian, Jack Benny, has left the stage.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Actually they were hickory rods.. :P
They hadn't invented lathe's or oil when Aero was a pup. Blowtubes probably made from hollow cane stalks. :mrgreen: He learned to cover those in pine tar to stiffen them up from the old hands like the desert deuce.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

OK I was just checking to make sure...between Aero's comments and Kenny going on about how the ODG's had five wiping rods each I thought I might have to make a run to home desperate and buy out all their dowel rods....Hopefully I'd still have enough money left for another jug of M Pro 7 :lol: I never watched Jack Benny either, I've always been a Stooges fan....
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

Aero wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 pm
Hey Chris-

No, haven't shot a BP match for quite a few years. Still shooting LR, just different guns that make smaller holes, but same game sort of. Haven't sold off any of my BP stuff just yet. I'm waiting for the next Quigley movie and the resurgence of Buffalo gun shooting. Then I'll sell off everything and have enough to retire.

Some really nasty conditions out on the high plains today, I'll tell ya. 25 mph sustained with gusts to 40 or a little more and drier than a popcorn fart. Spent the day working on the range at Byers and between the tumbleweeds and sand in the air it was brutal. You'd have had a hard time controlling fouling no matter what secret sauce you were using.

And Huey's wrong. We didn't have no stinkin' M-pro 7 when I was a youngster. We had blow tubes and we liked it. You'd blow through that tube until you were dizzy, then try to catch your breath and get off another shot before the fouling in your barrel turned to concrete. And if you didn't get it off fast enough and the boolit went in the dirt in front of the target you'd blow harder and by god that's just the way it was. We didn't need no stinking wiping crap. It was a reals mans game. Now it's all bore pigs and fancy expensive wiping concoctions. I bet the sissy ass BP shooters now are using plastic wiping rods.
It seems pretty rare that there aren't nasty conditions on the high plains :-). I think I've only shot at Byers 4 times, but mostly I remember hurricane force winds with the exception of one friendly day. It's a good place to learn about wind that's for sure.

If you wan to retire, keep the BP stuff and start selling that top secret "possum innards" lube. A lube that doesn't need Mpro-7 would be worth a fortune :-)

Chris.
Aero

Post by Aero »

desert deuce wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:11 am Noooo Johnny V........Aero is just trying his hand at comedy since his favorite comedian, Jack Benny, has left the stage.
I may be leaning pretty hard into geezerhood, but Jack Benny is a little before my time. My little blowtube rant is right out of an old SNL skit back when the cast members had some talent, the skits were mostly funny, and only about a quarter of the show was devoted to plugging the communist party line. But I digress....

Zack, I heard you're so old that the first time you shot a LR BP match at Raton, they called a cease fire while a herd of stegasauruses meandered across the range. Then when a nearby volcano erupted, they just called the match altogether. Is that true?
Aero

Post by Aero »

gunlaker wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:57 am
Aero wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:30 pm
Hey Chris-

No, haven't shot a BP match for quite a few years. Still shooting LR, just different guns that make smaller holes, but same game sort of. Haven't sold off any of my BP stuff just yet. I'm waiting for the next Quigley movie and the resurgence of Buffalo gun shooting. Then I'll sell off everything and have enough to retire.

Some really nasty conditions out on the high plains today, I'll tell ya. 25 mph sustained with gusts to 40 or a little more and drier than a popcorn fart. Spent the day working on the range at Byers and between the tumbleweeds and sand in the air it was brutal. You'd have had a hard time controlling fouling no matter what secret sauce you were using.

And Huey's wrong. We didn't have no stinkin' M-pro 7 when I was a youngster. We had blow tubes and we liked it. You'd blow through that tube until you were dizzy, then try to catch your breath and get off another shot before the fouling in your barrel turned to concrete. And if you didn't get it off fast enough and the boolit went in the dirt in front of the target you'd blow harder and by god that's just the way it was. We didn't need no stinking wiping crap. It was a reals mans game. Now it's all bore pigs and fancy expensive wiping concoctions. I bet the sissy ass BP shooters now are using plastic wiping rods.
It seems pretty rare that there aren't nasty conditions on the high plains :-). I think I've only shot at Byers 4 times, but mostly I remember hurricane force winds with the exception of one friendly day. It's a good place to learn about wind that's for sure.

If you wan to retire, keep the BP stuff and start selling that top secret "possum innards" lube. A lube that doesn't need Mpro-7 would be worth a fortune :-)

Chris.
I couldn't sell enough Possum Innards to pay the monthly water bill to keep my toilets flushed let alone my gas bill to drive to the range once a week for live fire practice sessions.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I've got my own home-brew lube recipe I'm pretty high on....I named it "Jonny's Rooster Jooce". :lol: shot like a house a fire just today too!!!
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

"Zack, I heard you're so old that the first time you shot a LR BP match at Raton, they called a cease fire while a herd of stegasauruses meandered across the range. Then when a nearby volcano erupted, they just called the match altogether. Is that true?"

Yessir, that was a long time ago. Surprised you remembered.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

Kenny Wasserburger wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:27 pm 796A7061-6DFB-4A77-BC63-0AD4207E4303.jpegMike and Steve,

I just checked Lyman’s site they say Butch’s protects against corrosion. Wonder if that brown stuff isn’t more carbon?

Kenny W.
Well, I don't know what to make of that!
On a clean chunk of mild steel with a milled surface, I placed a 2-1/2 inch patch, and soaked the patch with Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine.
After a couple days, it sure appears as though significant rust pits have appeared!
The humidity in my shop is no more than 50% relative humidity, so things don't rust unless there is some agent which causes it.

IMG_20220419_164053340_smaller.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Now that is very interesting.

Sure looks like Rust.

Kenny
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
Woody

Post by Woody »

Oil is the only rust preventive I trust.

Woody
Richard A. Wood
If you are surrounded. You are in a target rich environment.
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

I wrote to Lyman last week and described the brown patches coming out of my barrel after letting it sit for several minutes after swabbing with a wet patch of Butch’s Black Powder Bore Shine. They responded by saying it is most likely rust but did not identify themselves. So…
Aviator

Post by Aviator »

The saturated patch resting on the steel for an extended period is different from normal barrel cleaning.

But I am not currently convinced of the safety on precision steel parts.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

Wow that stuff must be a pretty aggressive solvent. You guys know better than I do...