Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

TexasMac

Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Post by TexasMac »

Hey guys,

I thought I'd give M-Pro 7 a try since it seems to be a somewhat popular wiping solution. But M-Pro 7 makes a gun cleaner & a gun oil among other solutions. So which one us used as a wiping solution? And is it mixed with something else or used straight out of the bottle?

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
JonnyV
Location: Living in a van down by the river eatin’ Govt cheese

Re: Using M-Pro 7 to wet wiping patches

Post by JonnyV »

I bought a gallon of MPro7 cleaning solution off Amazon and use it straight. Works awesome.

mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I use the cleaning solution when I'm done shooting, stuff is awesome in my opinion.
Chris Wilson
MrE

Post by MrE »

I bought a gallon of M pro-7 cleaner off of Amazon for $66. Jan. 2021. Now its $93. Fulfilled by fly by night stores.
Looks like Midway could be the cheapest around at $68.
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Thanks guys, I'll pick up an 8oz bottle to see how it compares to NAPA cutting oil & water.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

Thank you.
I will just keep using my distilled water for a dollar something a gallon for warmer weather.
Cleans up the bore just nicely whether with wet plus dry patches or with my bore critters.
In cold weather, I found that RV Antifreeze works well at only several dollars a gallon. In fact, I might try it in warmer weather
beltfed/arnie
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I shoot 40, 44 & 45 Cal BPCR Silhouette and Target with cast bullets and Black Powder Exclusively.
I have a total of several hundred BACO Bore Wipes for the three calibers and I inventory the felts by the gallon container.
I purchased two gallons of Audi Coolant Antifreeze Part # (G012A8G1G) and two gallons of distilled water. (50/50 chase patch)
Also purchased four gallons of M-Pro7 Cleaner. (on the felts)

Why you say? If you do not control hard fouling the rest is irrelevant.

So far I have not had a problem with hard fouling here in Southern Arizona in the Summer months from March-November. :D
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
charlie young

Post by charlie young »

M-pro 7 shiloh forum
If you copy and paste the above sentence on Google you will get a lot of the threads posted on here. I search the Shiloh sight using Google. It works way better than this forum's search engine.

That being said, I have used the M-pro 7 in only one match, and I shot exactly the same score as I did the day before using a blow tube. But I do like it for cleaning the bore afterwards. Still like my Moose Milk for wiping.
mongo40

Post by mongo40 »

I don't see it mentioned but something else I use to wipe and clean my blackpowder rifles is windshield wiper cleaner, you can mix it with what ever or use alone, works good also and cheap.
Chris Wilson
MrE

Post by MrE »

FYI , Midway has MPro-7 for 49.99 plus shipping.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

Been using M-pro 7 for quite a while now and have had zero fouling problems using felts with it. Shooting in Arizona humidity, fouling is a big factor. Shooting with some of the top shooters around at Ben Avery, I'm pretty sure that all use M-pro 7. In the up coming issue of Black Powder News, there will be a equipment list of what shooters are using. It will be interesting to see what wiping solution is most used by the top 10.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

I’ve been really happy with M Pro 7 on bore wipers, both the ones from BACO and the ones from Eric on this forum. I actually like his better since they’re Delrin and won’t discolor or corrode. No laundering of felts either. I also really like CLP for cleaning at home. Picked that up as a habit a long time ago in the Corps. CLP does a great job on any trace fouling I have left in the barrel (normally not much).
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Don’t use the CLP for wiping between shots. :shock:

Ruined 35 cases Norma 2-7/8ths 12 actually separated.

Thanks to Steve Faringer for helping me diagnose the cause. I ran out of the mpro7 cleaner after 600 yards. Thought my jug was cleaner, My 800/900 scores really got buggered up. Took two days of solvent to get the chamber oil free and the lead out of the bore. :shock: :shock: :oops:

The stuff is much better than water or moose milk in my opinion as it keeps the carbon fouling under control. Water or the moose milk won’t touch it. The antifreeze works well I used GM stuff the 50/50 blend for the rest of the Phoenix match, honestly I think it could be cut again 50/50 as it’s a bit slick.

Kenny Wasserburger

PS took 3 washings to get that CLP out of the BACO felts.
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
JonnyV

Post by JonnyV »

No CLP bore wiping for me....that's for cleaning and storage when I get home (as stated). I normally run a wiper with M Pro 7 prior to chambering up my first round as well. Also just finished up the Bore-Tek ceramic treatment on my Shiloh. Should make clean up even easier than it was already.
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

there is a chemical called Bromo 2, or Nitropropane 1 in many cutting oils, cleaning agents lubricants. and all kinds of toiletries and cleansers.
it is highly allergic.
cutting oil was the culprit on my patches.
If any of you develop a rash problem, watch out for this.
it is listed as 'other ingredients' on the list of contents.

now. just plain joy and water one wet, one dry. 5 shot groups. nice and clean.

just sayin' Ken '