Long range 45-70

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Don McDowell

Re: Long range 45-70

Post by Don McDowell »

Mike I quite simply could not see the targets at 900 and 1000 against the ditches in the target butts. Cross firing was a problem as I found it very hard to discern the correct target, and that cost me several points. Do have to laugh at the single 10 I fired on the 900, I centered up a dim grey dot that looked to be to high above the number board to be the target but I was able to read the number board so I said what the hell, and give the trigger a good Squeeze, but don't you know when I got in the gun for the next shot no dim little grey dot to be seen...
The eye doc told he I have cataracts starting , but as they are not ripe yet, they can't do much with them, I guess my only choice is to go to a scope until such time as the dang things get ripe...
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

My eye doc said the same thing. I get the same issues you described at our 200 yard range. Very frustrating…
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Big hole in the rear sight and big hole in the front helps some, but it's tough to keep the bullseye centered if you can see it.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Wondering....wondering if having to focus on those little slips of paper and rolling them up on those lead plugs hasn't diminished Donnie's visual acuity? Possible you know, eye strain can be aggravated over time.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

No worse than trying to wipe all that grease off them bullets. :D
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I let the barrel deal with the lube
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Icky sticky goo
Distant Thunder

Post by Distant Thunder »

After competing with only paper patch bullets for 12 years now and working with a good number of other shooters in an effort to help them switch to PP I am convinced that there are people who should just stick with greasers.

There is nothing wrong with shooting greasers if that's what works for you, be happy and stay in your lane.

I shoot greasers in some of my rifles and in my handguns, I just choose to complete in BPTR matches with paper patch bullets and it's not just because are superior, it's in part because I just like to look my best when I'm shooting in a match with all the women folks watching. No matter how much grease you put on a grooved bullet it's just not as cool as a paper patch bullet and everybody knows it! :D

Shoot what you want, I do. :D :D :D
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Just curious DT, did you write the previous post before or after your morning coffee? :? As in "impressing all the women folk watching" at matches with paper patched bullets begs for further explanation?

"Icky Sticky Goo?" Uh, Donnie Ray, if you don't play in it that should not be a problem. :roll: The general idea is to apply the lube to the lube grooves on the bullet, not the fingers. :wink: BTW There may be some youtubes out there demonstrating the proper methods of doing that.
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Everybody has to do what they have to do.
Distant Thunder

Mr. Deuce,

We participate in a sport that died in the late 1800s, there is a little bit of fantasy in it for each of us. Some imagine themselves on the western plains hunting buffalo and others find themselves on the firing in the picture below. If you look closely at the picture, you will see there are quite a few ladies in attendance in the viewing crowd.

While the matches at Lodi are not as heavily attended as that match in 1874 there are often a few lovely ladies at our matches watching the men compete. Now, if you are an honest person and you think about it, which of the shooters will draw the eye of the ladies? Of course, it is the paper patch shooters!

Sadly, our matches seldom have a lady on the line competing with us, but back many years ago they were common on the line. The matches at Alma have a good number of women folks in attendance and many compete, and they do well. I tip my hat to the ladies that shoot as well as those who come to watch. Most of us men could use a little adult supervision! Just so we remain well behaved.

I thank God that he has blessed me with the ability to shoot paper patch bullets! :D
I also thank him that not everyone can. :shock:
Creedmoor 1874 match.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Really? Therefore, I must presume it was before your morning coffee and prehaps shortly after partially awakening from a related dream?
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

I wish I could have gotten this bullet a long time ago! would have saved me a lot of frustration greasers gave me. A million thanks JK!!!

20220406_153033.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
mike herth

Post by mike herth »

BPCR Shooter, Were you one of the Wisconsin guys at the Ironman match last week? I assume both were shooting PP. A common question is how well PP shooters are doing at the various matches with this “new” technology. I suspect the numbers are growing but it’s hard to tell if not reported.
Distant Thunder

Dang Matt, but that's cool looking bullet! Kinda proves my point, don't it!
Jim Kluskens
aka Distant Thunder