Long range 45-70

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Perentie

Re: Long range 45-70

Post by Perentie »

Thanks Jim. That makes sense. Now our target rifle shooters use single shot rifles but have their bullets patched with copper. They dont want grease grooves and lube messing up their barrels either. They like a nice smooth streamlined projectile but it still does not look as sexy as ours :D

Keith
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

For Large-calibre long range work, there was only the PP bullet in the UK, even when the rules changed and it wasn't allowed anymore to wipe between shots. The Match rifle as such disappeared with the introduction on nitro and a bigger emphasis on military rifle shooting, also at longer ranges.
However, I do believe there was a Metford jacketed-style bullet for the BP match rifle near the end of the era, I would have to look it up...
FWIW, I also shoot GG bullets in some rifles. And at shorter ranges, they probably have the edge even if tere are some issues with bore conditioning , leading etc.
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

Nother nose design... even makes a 38-55 look good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

If you read WH Dodge's articles on how he came up with the bullets in the early days of the 30-40 Krag to make it capable of shooting accurately to 1000 yards, he specifically says that after trying all sorts of things he designed a long pointed bullet scaled down from the 44 and 45 caliber paper patch bullets that he and others used successfully in the Creedmoor matches...
The Postel bullet was a gaming attempt to try and make the trapdoor rifles competitive against the paper patch bullets of the Sharps and Remington rifles. The nose profile of that original postel bullet is quite similar to long pointed paper patch bullets so often mentioned by the ODG's .
That old saw about nothing new under the sun?
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

And, of course, we should not mention the first iteration of the Postel Grease Groove Bullet IDEAL #456132 was also bevel based.
Wonder of wonders, why was that? :?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

So they could use gas checks with their rl7 powder?😜
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
dbm

Post by dbm »

martinibelgian wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:36 am However, I do believe there was a Metford jacketed-style bullet for the BP match rifle near the end of the era, I would have to look it up...

The leftmost cartridge (from the headstamp) is Westley Richards No. 2 Musket. The two on the right are Gibbs No. 1.

Gibbs were experimenting with coppered bullets and smokeless powders in their match rifles during the mid-1890s. This changed in 1896 when the maximum bore size changed to .315 in, This effectively marked the end of the black powder era of target rifle shooting in the UK.

David
www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/researchpress
Historical Firearms, long range target shooting and military history