reloading bp vs sl time frame

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

lxlranch

reloading bp vs sl time frame

Post by lxlranch »

I reload many different smokeless, this will be my first cartridge with black powder.
I know smokeless will last a long long time loaded. My question is how long would be the
longest that you would reload black powder , I will be loading 45-110 .

also do yall shoot both black and smokeless out of the same rifle?
ordered a 1863 sporting rifle percusson 50 cal and a Quigley
waiting patiently (sigh! )
LOVE BLACK POWDER !

Leon Little
George West Tx
LXL Ranch
George Babits

Re: reloading bp vs sl time frame

Post by George Babits »

Back when I started shooting black powder cartridge in 1961, I was shooting up original 43 Spanish ammo that was probably 70 years old, maybe older. Worked just fine. Stuff cost $5 per hundred. Pretty hard to beat. Before that I was using caps and powder in my great grandfather's original 44 Remington cap and ball revolver. Keep black powder dry and it will last forever. The only questionable item would be the longevity of modern lubricants over a long period of time.

George
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

If you keep your ammunition in a cool dry place, the power should last a very long time. Where you need to be careful is your bullet lube. I have had some home made lube cause corrosion to the case. I would think that the better commercial BP lubes will not cause this to happen. Black powder is a pretty basic mix and keep dry it will last.
Sam
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Old Ammunition..... The problem areas are bullet lube and primers. Mercuric primers will fail in time, whilst chlorate primers seem to last indefinitely. Bullet lubes containing soaps are inclined to eventually corrode the brass ctg cases. Some old German 11x60R military ammo loaded with chlorate primers is completely sure-fire after 135 years.

CHRIS
rgchristensen

Post by rgchristensen »

Old Ammunition..... The problem areas are bullet lube and primers. Mercuric primers will fail in time, whilst chlorate primers seem to last indefinitely. Bullet lubes containing soaps are inclined to eventually corrode the brass ctg cases. Some old German 11x60R military ammo loaded with chlorate primers is completely sure-fire after 135 years.

CHRIS
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

lxlranch wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 3:41 pm I reload many different smokeless, this will be my first cartridge with black powder.
I know smokeless will last a long long time loaded. My question is how long would be the
longest that you would reload black powder , I will be loading 45-110 .

also do yall shoot both black and smokeless out of the same rifle?
If your considering shooting smokeless in your 45-110, don't! These chamberings are meant for black powder only due to the large case capacity. If you want to use smokeless then go with the 45-70. There is plenty of loading data available. Use can load the 45-70 to levels that hurt on both ends.

Dan
lxlranch

Post by lxlranch »

would it kick more than my 338 Lapua ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LOVE BLACK POWDER !

Leon Little
George West Tx
LXL Ranch
gunlaker

Post by gunlaker »

A max load of smokeless using Ruger #1 .45-70 data will recoil harder in a light weight rifle than your .338 Lapua will. Particularly with your muzzle brake and the recoil absorbing stock. But it's most often silly to load it like that.

Back to the original question. Black powder loads will last a long time. The powder is more stable than smokeless. If you load with paper patch ammo and no lube cookie then the ammo would likely outlast the person who loaded it.

Chris.
Dan O

Post by Dan O »

lxlranch wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:55 am would it kick more than my 338 Lapua ?
:lol: I think it might give it some STIFF competition.
lxlranch

Post by lxlranch »

Thanks all for your comments....Gotz Lotz to learn.
LOVE BLACK POWDER !

Leon Little
George West Tx
LXL Ranch