Swiss 1 1/2 compression

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kenny sd

Swiss 1 1/2 compression

Post by kenny sd »

What are the current thoughts on compression of Swiss 1 1/2
MikeT

Re: Swiss 1 1/2 compression

Post by MikeT »

Start at zero and work up one grain at a time.
Then shoot some targets to see any group forming.
In my experience, 1.5 swiss takes very little compression to shoot well.

Keep on hav'n fun!
MikeT
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Thanks Mike. I'm loading up some now with .4 compression , just to make sure the bullet is seated on the wads.
I'll try NO compression for the next ten. good advice.
Kenny Wasserburger

Post by Kenny Wasserburger »

Geez how damn many time you hit submit?

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Wyoming Territory Sharps Shooter
kenny sd

Post by kenny sd »

Kenny, go to your room, the adults are talking...
beltfed

Post by beltfed »

For me the compression sweet spot for Swiss 1.5 is around 0.075 to 0.100"
depending on the density of the particular lot.
beltfed/arnie
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Until this last lot what Beltfed wrote with the two previous lots .105" more or less in the 40-65 and 45-70, a little more in the 45-90.

Still have not figured out this latest lot. So far .080 to .150 isn't making me happy in the 90.

Of course, the problem just might be the shooter. :roll:
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Kenny Wasserburger

kenny sd wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:04 pm Kenny, go to your room, the adults are talking...
You’re a hoot. An adult knows to wait and hit the submit button once. :P

You ain’t there yet. At least you deleted your other duplicates.

As for compression on Swiss, I have went as high at .385 in a 38-50. It’s very accurate. Multiple perfect 100-3-6 Xs at 200 yards. Plus if you check the 2015 NRA Target Rifle Nationals, the Prone Mid-Range Scope Champion winner, you will see a familiar name. We voted to change the venue and went to a 300-500-600 yard event from then on.

Kenny W
We'll raise up our Glasses against Evil Forces, Singing, Whiskey for my men, Beer for my horses.

Kenny Wasserburger

Kenny sd.

Little tech hit when you hit the submit button it turns red. Don’t keep hitting it. :shock: :shock:

Something an adult knows, and develops. It’s call patients btw.

Kenny Wasserburger

Jeanne Ring

Post by Jeanne Ring »

Patience?
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I wonder, did Glenn highjack Jeanne's computer? Again?
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
semtav

Post by semtav »

desert deuce wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:35 pm I wonder, did Glenn highjack Jeanne's computer? Again?
You obviously forgot the dustup Jeannie and I had a few years ago. Pretty sure she doesn't need Glens help.
Kenny Wasserburger

No but Glen can’t help himself.

:P :P

And she can’t either, she is just pissed cause when I blocked her from my profile on FB it also resulted her getting booted from the 22bpcra page that I created and own. Two of the most divisive arrogant individuals, you will ever have the misfortune to encounter. She has hated me since she ran Nationals in 2018, she made a mistake in squading me all by myself on Rams. She then very nastily informed me if I had signed up on line this wouldn’t of happened. I quite frankly informed her I had signed up online the second day it was available. :lol: : :lol: Obviously it was somehow my fault then. She treated me very crappy, though it was her mistake. She never even apologized, that’s the personal character of J Ring. Luckily Dave Gullo and John Venhaus volunteered to have me shoot with them. It was a lot of fun.

Both of them are sulking as they continue to get their asses booted off various social media pages and platforms. Then complain. They reap what they sow, obviously they don’t understand that they nasty attacks have consequences. But they’re getting an education, now.
I got to admit that they obviously are stalking my posts here because they can’t even add to this conversation, as they shoot pyrodex. Anybody else notice that. :P

The day both of them get booted from all shooting venues can’t come soon enough.

We just have to be Patient. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: and I am learning patience. :lol: :lol:

They both remind me of two pigeons strutting on a chessboard knocking over the pieces and shitting on the board, and somehow think they have the moral high ground.

Kenny Wasserburger

And Kenny sd I want to apologize personally too you for the Rings coming on your thread to try at me. You had a honest question, hopefully you got what you needed.

Jeanne Ring

Post by Jeanne Ring »

Bless your heart, Kenny W.
Dennis Armistead

Post by Dennis Armistead »

kenny sd wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:31 pm Thanks Mike. I'm loading up some now with .4 compression , just to make sure the bullet is seated on the wads.
I'll try NO compression for the next ten. good advice.
I'm just curious about the .4 compression. That seems like a lot to me. I have found that when I do a ladder test to find an accurate load, usually I find two compression points that work really well and I choose the lesser of the two powder charges providing it gives me the velocity that I need. I don't think I've ever compressed Swiss past .300". Too much powder can be a bad thing when less will get the job done with a cooler barrel and less fouling. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Experience trumps intelligence every time.