Mpro 7 Cleaner question

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

kwilliams

Re: Mpro 7 Cleaner question

Post by kwilliams »

Jackrabbit I concur, after 50 yrs of wd-40 use, no hard film, shellac, varnish etc. Not spraying a clock movement, so no concern there. I acknowledge the perceived benefits of synthetic oils and greases some of which I do regularly use. Just never had a issue on my shooting collection or the 100 plus molds I douse with it either. 48 hrs later I see no reaction with wd-40 and Mpro on my polished test plate.
kw
gus65

Post by gus65 »

Will you guys share your thoughts/experiences with Ballistol for wiping between shots, for cleaning the bore after the shooting session and also for storage for 6 months or more? Thanks in advance.
kwilliams

Post by kwilliams »

I used Ballistol & water for my bore pigs for 2 seasons, worked well enough. Then went to Napa oil and water, again worked ok too. No corrosion...ever. No bluing or color case issues. Ballistol is just harder to find by me here.
Got some minimal leading after long strings of shots in the 110f plus heat last year with GG bullets.
So now will go the Mpro route for this season in GG and PP.
kw
arnie

Post by arnie »

I had the same reaction once as KW. I wiped a barrel inside with Corrosion X oil after cleaning and two days later I sent a dry patch through the barrel and then one with Ballistol and it came out black. Don't know why. The dry patch came out clean so the ballistol picked something up the dry patch didnt.
opencountry

Post by opencountry »

kwilliams wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 3:45 pm Been using Napa oil and water previously with no issues.
KW
Same, 10:1 mix. Full loads in 45-110 (111 grns.), & 45-90 (94 grns.), 100% 9# cotton-patched, 16:1 mix 540 gr. MB, bore-dia.
While shooting I now wipe the bore with (3) damp patches of Napa oil/H20 (10:1 mix).
After shooting I use the same wiping procedure above followed by a final tight-fitting damp cleaning patch of 'Three Rivers Unlimited New Improved Black Powder Solvent', stroked back and forth thru bore before drying with a couple dry patches, then oiling the bore with EEZOX Gun Care.
I've tried a couple of the formulas others have mentioned on the forum here with the idea of getting the bore really clean, but found that this method has done it all. I'm thinking that the Three Rivers Solvent is doing the job as well.

Just my thoughts,

Robert
Beware of the man that owns one rifle.
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

FWIW.......was shooting my trusty 44-70 this past Thursday at Tucson Rifle Club on silhouette swingers.

Temperature was 111F and Humidity was 16%, in the shade.

Was wiping with BACO bore wipes two felts dipped in MPro7 cleaner and chased with a 2 1/4" cotton patch damp with 50/50 Audi antifreeze and distilled water between shots.

After 46 rounds no leading and the barrel got pretty hot.

FWIW, it is a dry heat.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
BlackRock52

Post by BlackRock52 »

To those who are referring to WD-40 are you using the standard everyday multiuse spray product? Or you using the WD-40 CorrosionRust Inhibitor product?
SSShooter

Post by SSShooter »

After using Mpro7 this season I'll be going back to Hoppe's Black Powder cleaning fluid and Break-Free gun oil once my nearly empty bottle of Mpro7 is gone. I'm not a fan of the 'black' I get out of the barrel when using hydrocarbon based gun oils and have found that the Mpro7 has done nothing my previous cleaning fluids have not done.
Glenn
powderburnt

Post by powderburnt »

The WD 40 rust inhibitor is the best bore preservitive and overall rust preventitive I have found. Humidity runs an average of 70% here so it takes a no BS lube to prevent rust. Rem oil takes 2nd place.
Regular WD 40 is used for displacing moisture but does nothing for protection in humid conditions. We used it as kids to spray the inside of the distributer cap and points when we drowned an engine out busting mud holes. It was used to prevent icing on the wings of airplanes back in the day. I believe that was its original intent.

HG