Ammo boxes

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

ranch23

Ammo boxes

Post by ranch23 »

Do any of the MTM ammo boxes allow one to store cases, 45-70, rim down? Any other boxes that do? Thank You
MSalyards

Re: Ammo boxes

Post by MSalyards »

Yes, I store my PP base down in them.
ranch23

Post by ranch23 »

Which box number do you use?
Tomklinger

Post by Tomklinger »

It must be a secret…. :lol:
Tom
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Depending on the OAL of the loaded round most boxes said to fit the WSM line of cartridges will hold 45-70 base down. But if the length of the loaded round exceeds the capacity of the box to close the lid then you need to go into the taller boxes intended for 378 wby etc.
AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
DeadEye

Post by DeadEye »

A dozen or so years ago I was in Cabela's Head Store in Sydney. Wound my way back to the Bargain Den and there I found ammo boxes on sale. They were under the Cabela brand name but were clearly an MTM product. The model number is 'WSM' and the price was $1.79 ea. Like I said they were in the 'clear out' area. I bought all they had. They will hold up to a 45-90 base down. If the MTM boxes are coded the same that may be some help. For the other 20 or so boxes I have I just turn them upside down for storage and travel.

Paul
"My heroes have always been cowboys and they still are it seems."
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

Here is what I did so I could store ammo in a box tip up. This is an R-100 box. I removed the plastic holder and made up 4 wood blocks. They are made to fit the 44-77 rounds. Yea it don't hold 100 but it does hold them the way I want.
Sam
100_1410.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Why the preference for base down storage? I store everything base up, no issue for me. even with slip-fit bullets.
Nuclearcricket

Post by Nuclearcricket »

If nothing else, it keeps the crud in your cases from falling out into your box. I know with the plastic holder that was in that box it accumulated a lot of crap that falls out of the cases when shot with BP and it gets to be a pain in the behind to clean out. When stored mouth up you don't have that problem. I am sure others will have different opinions. My other reason for making the base down holders was to keep the cases from rattling and flopping around all over the place. That long bottleneck case just didn't set right in the original holders that were in the box
Sam
ranch23

Post by ranch23 »

martinibelgian wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 8:17 am Why the preference for base down storage? I store everything base up, no issue for me. even with slip-fit bullets.
I just like my carefully cast bullets up, and I need all the help I can get to shoot as good as you do. :D
bpcr shooter

Post by bpcr shooter »

the XL should do, I will post again if not.

https://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/r ... e-h-50.php
NMLRA Member
Winnequah Gun Club Member (Lodi, Wi)
WIFORCE Member
SCI Member
martinibelgian

Post by martinibelgian »

Nuclearcricket wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am If nothing else, it keeps the crud in your cases from falling out into your box. I know with the plastic holder that was in that box it accumulated a lot of crap that falls out of the cases when shot with BP and it gets to be a pain in the behind to clean out. When stored mouth up you don't have that problem. I am sure others will have different opinions. My other reason for making the base down holders was to keep the cases from rattling and flopping around all over the place. That long bottleneck case just didn't set right in the original holders that were in the box
Sam
Ah well, I have a separate box for my empties, takes care of that. But think of it - no lube to migrate towards the powder or the bullet base if you're shooting GG bullets. Otherwise, I cannot think of a disadvantage of storing cartridges bullet down.
MSalyards

Post by MSalyards »

Sorry, I haven't been on. It's the one by Berrys for the 300 ultra. I tried to post pics, but I can't resize.
semtav

Post by semtav »

Nuclearcricket wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 7:35 am Here is what I did so I could store ammo in a box tip up. This is an R-100 box. I removed the plastic holder and made up 4 wood blocks. They are made to fit the 44-77 rounds. Yea it don't hold 100 but it does hold them the way I want.
Sam
100_1410.JPG

I just pull the plastic insert out, ream the holes to the proper dia and reinsert.

might not work with the 44-77 head tho

ammo box.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Castaway

Post by Castaway »

Just ordered from Midway. Holds 50, rim up or down and accepts 3” OAL

Product #: 911703
Manufacturer #: RMLD-50-24
UPC #: 026057228242