Big Lube bullets

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Jelwyoming

Big Lube bullets

Post by Jelwyoming »

I have been researching Dick Dastardly's Big Lube bullets. Can I get feedback on them from someone that has used them? I like the idea of carrying the huge load of soft lube to keep the fouling soft. Real experience with that? I am contemplating buying a set of the molds. My sharps on order will be my first BP rifle, so forgive my ignorance with this. i've reloaded SL ro 40 years plus, so this made sense from my perspective. :)
TexasMac

Re: Big Lube bullets

Post by TexasMac »

Jelwyoming

I noted Big Lube bullets moulds have at least 6 cavities. Not knowing what the caliber of your Sharps will be and if you plan on competing in BPCR silhouette competition or cowboy action matches, I'll offer some general comments for BPCR silhouette. Aluminum moulds are OK but multicavity moulds are generally not a good idea due to machining inconsistencies from cavity to cavity. Also pouring lead alloy into a six-cavity mould does not offer the temperature control required for consistent bullet weights due to the time & inconsistent cooling as the cavities are filled. Yes, if blow tubing wider grease grooves carry more lube are a benefit but excessively wide grooves are detrimental to ballistic coefficient. Keep in mind that once the bullet exists the bore the lube will most likely be thrown out of the grooves exposing those wide empty grooves to turbulence.

I expect that Dick Dastardly's moulds will work fine for cowboy action but are not the type required for BPCR silhouette. I've been shooting BPCR for many years and have discussed moulds in person and online with hundreds of shooters. The vast majority by a very large margin use single-cavity cast iron or brass moulds, no more than 2-cavity, for the reasons stated above. If your rifle will be a .45 caliber here's a good mould to start with:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/450-530-gra ... 530c1.html. It carries plenty of lube for blow tubing.

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
http://www.texas-mac.com
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

Buffalo Arms Website: This bullet nose diameter of .449" and body diameter is .450" in diameter. Overall Length is 1.440".

If you intend to use a 45-70 with black powder in an 18 twist barrel see the following.

I believe I would look for a body diameter of either .458 or .459, 1.42" length or less, .449" ogive is OK for a black powder 45-70.

If you want to shoot long range with black powder in a 45-70 you will have to get somewhat specialized and leave everything you have ever heard of concerning loading and shooting smokeless. Different animal altogether.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

DD,

Thanks for catching my error. Without thinking about the groove diameter I picked the wrong bullet. Here's the one I intended to suggest:
https://www.buffaloarms.com/458-540-gra ... 540c1.html

Wayne
NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

AKA Donny Ray Rockslinger :?
TexasMac

Post by TexasMac »

Yup, another good bullet for a .45 with an 18-twist bore. Possibly even better than the correct diameter Creedmore although I'd prefer a straight (non-beveled) base.
Wayne
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

That bullet shoots rather well from an 18 twist Shiloh 45-70, if one is so inclined to deal with the muss and fuss of a grease groove bullet
desert deuce

Post by desert deuce »

I have that mould from BACO. It is a reproduction of the original Ideal 456132 Postel (which was used to replicate this bullet) that later morphed into the 457132 Postel Lyman offers today. The original could be ordered in varying lengths. Apparently it was developed for use in 45-70 and probably for trapdoors because of the time frame of origin.
The original 456132 was available from Lyman on special order up into the 1970's.
Yes, it does have a beveled base and I have a period .375 Ideal Mould that is also bevel based. Why beveled base is subject to speculation.

It is a dream to cast with and spoils one for other moulds, and, it is no more problem to apply lube in a lube sizer in hot weather than a plain base.

Still working on load development specifically for the 45-70 and toyed with it in the 45-90, thinking about an article for Black Powder Cartridge News on this bullet in modern barrels remembering that the trappers have 3 grooves; will also give it a go in an original trapper but that is not on the front burner yet. Initial experience looks quite promising in the modern 45-70 barrels.
Sometimes you get the chicken, and sometimes you get the feathers!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I too have that mould, and have shot it in Winchester, and Browning (2) bpcrs and Shiloh #1 in 45-70 all of them seemed favorable to it with 69 grs of OE 2f and a .030 fiber wad, bullet lubed with Bullshop Nasa.
The only 45-90 I've shot it in is my Shiloh 77 and while it didn't completely reject the thing, it definetly said it preferred other bullets. I do have 2 more 45-90's that might like it but have not taken the time to try them.