BPTRA Midrange Championships

This is where you can place your scores from the matches. It uses an excel spread sheet! If you send me your sheet of scores I can put it on the forum and provide a link where everyone can view it.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

COBPTR

BPTRA Midrange Championships

Post by COBPTR »

I feel like Weather is the headline at most of our events at Colorado Rifle Club and our BPTRA Midrange Championships was no different. We started the weekend with a practice on Thursday that most of us took advantage of, as many of us haven’t shot Target Rifle since last Fall.
Practice day was approaching 90 for temps but we were done before the heat of the day set in.

By the time our all 600yd match started on Friday we were in the high 30’s to low 40’s and we only got one 600yd relay in for everyone before we had to quit because of the rain. This was a stand alone match and not part of out midrange match. So essentially it just turned into more practice.

Day 2 started the Position match for our Championship. Although snow and more rain were predicted, we actually had a really nice day of shooting other than a cold start for the first relay. Winds never really got much above 15-20mph but were pretty tricky. We started offhand at 200yds, shot 300 from the sitting position and on to 600 shooting Prone. I turned in the highest scores at 200 and 300 while Bryan Youngberg turned in the highest score at 600. Going into Day 2 I was in the lead, but Bryan and Gary Baylis were right behind me on the scoreboard.

Day 3 was cold and had to be in the top 5 consistently windy days I’ve shot at Colorado Rifle Club. Our base wind was 25mph and I have no doubt we reached 40-45mph at times and possibly more. It was a switching tailwind that changed value rapidly. Most everything was right of 0 but we were playing with about 1 right of zero up to 10 or 12 right of zero depending on your relay. We had some who didn’t show so I was forced to squad two of us in Rifleman class for the day. Meaning you didn’t have a spotter in the BPTRA and had to shoot and call your own wind. I volunteered myself and luckily Gary Baylis loves the challenge of shooting Rifleman class as well. We both shot alone and our scores were kept in the pits to avoid any funny business. Again, I managed the highest scores for our first two distances at 300 and 500. Hugh Wilson took the high score at 600 with an 86/100 in some very tough conditions. Bryan Youngberg was behind the scope for Hugh. Shooting mats, patches, gear, hats were being knocked over or blown towards Wyoming for most the day. It was sort of miserable fun and everyone took the conditions well considering how blustery it was. Ironically, our two Rifleman shooters finished 1st and 2nd for the day. Gary Baylis put up some very good scores shooting alone and had very high value hits. Unfortunately for Gary, 1 miss at 500yds and 1 miss at 600yds let me sneak in for the win.

Thanks to everyone who helps with range setup, cleanup and generally make it easy for me to run these matches. I’m hoping our attendance for next year increases as midrange really is a fun course of fire and a fairly easy transition from Silhouette distances. There is a lot of value to seeing your loads on paper and seeing the actual effect of wind on your projectile that will only help you in Silhouette and other shorter and midrange shooting disciplines.

For overall awards, we ended up as follows:

Robert Garibay- 1st
Gary Baylis- 2nd
Bryan Youngberg- 3rd and High Spotter
Hugh Wilson- High Master

Robert Garibay
BPTRA
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.