Linen Cartridges

Support for the 1863 shooter. Discussions of powders, loads, bullets, etc.
Horse Soldier

Linen Cartridges

Post by Horse Soldier »

The 1859 and 1863 Sharps were made for linen cartridges rather than paper. It wasn’t until 1864 that linen was used exclusively.
I’ve ordered the thinnest linen I can find. You can just see through it.
In BPCN there’s a description of the bullet cast from an original New Model mould. It appears to be quite close to the Moose Moulds France .52 mould. My question is does anyone know the diameter of the bands?
George Babits

Re: Linen Cartridges

Post by George Babits »

I was re-reading that article the other evening. Got to thinking, wouldn't it be great if the author sent a few bullets from that mould to Accurate Moulds and had them make up a mould for them.

George
powderburner

Post by powderburner »

He had somebody duplicate it. In one of them he talks about finding a bunch of origionals in the junk ar a fort and had one made. Dont rber if he mentioned who did it but it may be in the footnotes
Dean Becker
only one gun and they are 74 s
3rd asst. flunky,high desert chapter F.E.S.
MYWEIGH scale merchant
reclining member of O-G-A-N-T
bohemianway

Post by bohemianway »

From my original mold which measures about 0.540"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

Looking through my references I’m amazed at the variations in bullet sizes and bore sizes. The only thing consistent is the inconsistency. One thing I came across is that early in the war they issued linen cartridges for rifles and paper for carbines.
I’m going to get the.52 France mould as it seems to be a common average.
George Babits

Post by George Babits »

I've been using the Lyman 54 caliber Minie' bullet in my Shiloh infantry rifle and an original carbine. While it is far from a tack driver, it works very well. Not exactly "correct" but I picked up the mould at a gunshow for $10. I haven't tried linnen, but working with chamber length paper cartridges so no powder spill when I close the breech.

George
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

I’ve got the .52 France mould from Moose Moulds coming. It’s a mould which fits In dimensionally with other period bullets and moulds. The linen fits the description of the original as near as I can tell. Haven’t got it yet so I don’t know the thickness but it will work one way or the other. Separating the wheat from the chaff is the problem. For example everyone assumes combustible cartridges have to be nitrated. Many people here know that’s not needed. Original labels don’t use the word combustible. What everyone thought years ago isn’t always right. Good
Horse Soldier

Post by Horse Soldier »

I got the linen. It’s .007 thick which is probably as close as I will get. I would like to make cartridges with two wraps. I think they would be better. Waiting on the mould. Getting there.
triggerfinger

Post by triggerfinger »

Look at the very well put together Linen Cartridges done by Duelist1954. I ordered some linen and will try it myself.

https://youtu.be/ie62QGEUN-U
MHS4575

Post by MHS4575 »

Instead of using a starch based sizing on the linen, has anyone tried soaking the linen in a saturated solution of potassium nitrate and hanging it to dry? If so, did it stiffen the linen and did the cartridges work? I prefer the nitrated paper cartridges over those without it. Nitrated cartridges don't have the smell of fireworks when you shoot.