GEMMER - American Classic..

Talk with other Shiloh Sharps shooters.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

DAMN YANKEE

GEMMER - American Classic..

Post by DAMN YANKEE »

Well, after nearly five years or planning, selection and craftsmanship, this modern masterpiece is in the hands of the engraver. First conceived as a tribute to two American heros, Fredrick Schwatka and William Henry Gilder, this rifle finally gets to see the light of day.

Fredrick Schwatka, an Army Officer (West Point) and physician, led the remarkable expedition that sought to find the lost Franklin Expedition. They took with them two factory Sharps Rifles. The Geographical Society in 1880, noted that his expedition had made "the longest sledge journey ever made both in regard to time and distance" of eleven months and four days and 2,709 miles (4,360 km) and that it was the first Arctic expedition on which the whites relied entirely on the same diet as the Inuit. Needless to say they took two Sharps rifles with them. Later Schwatka was asked to explore the Yukon River. His group built rafts and floated down to the Bering Sea, naming many geographic features along the way. At more than 1,300 miles (2,092 km), it was the longest raft journey that had ever been made. Beginning in 1896, Schwatka led two private expeditions to Alaska and three to northeastern Mexico and published descriptions of the social customs and the flora and fauna of these regions. Needless to say, these guy never set foot in Australia or had a girl friend that couldn't remember their names...they were real life American legends.

The project took some convincing, the Gemmer variant, when properly executed was/is the most difficult variant of '74 Sharps to produce. This rifle was produced in the factory under the guidence of the man who first brought the Gemmer back to life decades ago. Alot of time was spent with drawings and design work before a hand was laid on steel. Once the project got going, great license was given to produce the best that could be had. XXX Presentation wood, solid silver fittings, heavily modified metal work was ordered up. All the 2nd gen original run Gemmer parts were sorted through and used where possible, "one-ups" created as needed. One can imagine that it wasn't "just another day" at the factory. The rifle, in .50 caliber, will now see extensive full coverage engraving depicting the actic exploration of Schwatka and then its final fit, wood and metal finish time. When completed, it should join a long list of extraordinary American classic Sharps rifles.

Its been a long wonderful ride! Enjoy these shots..

Having fun with the receiver design...

Here we go...

More to come...
OLReliable

Post by OLReliable »

WOW !!!
wyyyyyyy.... iiiyyyyyy ....awwwtttuh
OLR ..... out
snapcap14

Post by snapcap14 »

SWEET
bobw

Post by bobw »

Gotta go with OLR and snap on this, what a project and allready a beauty, not yet done. I know that crescent butt is historically correct, but I'm glad your shooting it not me :lol: . Don't be a stranger, whether your here or not the forum still has its members who want nothing more than a pissing match. I still enjoy your posts and know others do too. bobw
Lumpy Grits

Post by Lumpy Grits »

WOW X2, THAT IS A WORK OF ART :shock:
Respectfully,
LG
"Hav'n you along, is like loose'n two good men"
mannyspd1

Post by mannyspd1 »

Beautiful!!!

Manny
Speak softly and carry a big stick...the exercise of intelligent forethought and of decisive action sufficiently far in advance of any likely crisis
TR
Todd Birch

Tribute to Schwatka

Post by Todd Birch »

Damn Yankee

I have rarely seen anything to equal the beauty of your Gemmer Sharps!
The workmanship is superb.

Since you are aware of the Franklin rescue expedition organized and led by Lt. Schwatka (3rd US Cavalry), I presume that you have read "Overland to Starvation Cove" by Heinrich Klutschak. This is an excellent account of the journey of one of the most successful Franklin search parties, much of that success due to the capabilities and leadership of Schwatka.

For those interested in such things, the expedition carried various other types of arms besides Sharps. Makers lined up to supply them hoping to cash in on the expected publicity the search would generate.

"Two Winchester magazine rifles with 1000 centre-fire metal shells (and the wherewithall to reload for them) two Remington Army rifles; 1000 shells (and reloading kit); one fine Treadmore target rifle worth $115.00; 1000 sheels and 1000 extra bullets; for Joe, our Inuit interpreter,; from the Merwin Co. one Evans 26 shot magazine-rifle with 500 shells for special testing by Lt. Schwatka; also two S&W Russian Army revolvers with 500 shells.
For each of these rifles, separate lock and breech components were also donated and the various metal shell companies made significant contributions."
The expedition also had 20 muzzleloading rifles for trade, including 600 lbs. of various shot, 1000 lbs of lead in pigs, 300 lbs. of powder and 40,000 percussion caps.

Thses guys were loaded for 'bear', literally and figurativley. Considering that all this, plus tons of other goods and gear had to transported by dog teams, the dogs played a pretty heroic role as well. Some wound up in the pot when there was no more food for them and they were too weak to pull.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful rifle with us!
"From birth to the packing house, we travel between the two eternities ....." Robert Duvall in "Broken Trail"
Brent

Post by Brent »

Beautiful! That is really quite a fine piece of work. It will also be the ultimate hunting rifle.

Brent
Just straddling the hard line between "the arrogance of dogmatism and the despair of skepticism"
RMulhern

Fine Rifle!

Post by RMulhern »

And if you right 'click' on any one of those photos....they'll make a beautiful Desktop photo!!

Fine job!! One of these days.....this fellows gonna make a really good riflemaker!! :lol: :lol:
There is no freedom without.......GUN POWDER!
RDD

Post by RDD »

Very nice!

I have a Gemmer Sharps (Shiloh #1 45-70) about 90% complete now. To be finished after return from Alliance. This one is in presentation sugar maple but without the engraving.

RD
Trigger Dr

Post by Trigger Dr »

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a brass tip on the hammer nose? NICE touch!!!
almost as beautiful as my wife.
Direct ALL e-Mail to jimrmilner@juno.com

NRA LIFE MEMBER
LIMBSAVER® BPCR Team
Prospective Member BPCR Federation
boge

Post by boge »

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a brass tip on the hammer nose? NICE touch!!!

No, it's a bevel.
Guncotton

Post by Guncotton »

That is with out a doubt a work of art.

It's not often you see something as well crafted as that.

Truly magnificent!!!!!
pete

Post by pete »

That's a work of art mmm, mmm.
The hammer is a Hartford style.
nineteen76

Post by nineteen76 »

Joe Seely.
Custom Gun Maker.
C.Sharps Arms Custom Gunsmith.
http://gunmaker.biz/about_us