BPCR PRIMER

Discussions of powders, bullets and loading information.

Moderators: Kirk, Lucinda

Merritt

BPCR PRIMER

Post by Merritt »

Here's one you can all chew on.

A couple of weeks ago I had occasion to to visit with one of the engineers at CCI concerning good old primer mixture 65. One of the interesting things that was brought up by CCI during the conversation was that they are intesested and currently having ongoing discussions about the production of a specialized BPCR primer. However, the working parameters of that primer have not been defined, as yet.

The commercial implications are obvious. The problem I have with the concept, is that I'm well satisfied with the standard stuff currently available.

What could a new primer do that the others don't? Cost More?

Can CCI improve the primer to better serve our needs? How?

Merritt
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Mr. Merritt,
Too bad it wasn't possible to diplomatically present these very questions to whomever you were speaking with at CCI?
Shoot Straight
Merritt

primer

Post by Merritt »

I'm a hunter, not a target shooter, and I was a gunmaker in a field that's unrelated to what we do here. I still keep my hand in. CCI tells me they welcome all the input they can get from their customers. I don't believe I can qualify myself to address the issues regarding primer developement, but many of you may be able to do so.

I have a couple of thoughts that I was holding on to, hoping that the subject would be better served by you guys.

1. The leading edge of the CCI Primer is too sharp.
2. The cup thickness should be similar to the pistol primer, however with an anvil height of.1288 instead of .1262 to insure proper seating in the rifle cartridges.
3. The pimers should then be clearly marked/engraved with a new industry standard "X" differentiating them from all smokeless primers.

Like I said I'm pretty well satisfied BR2 and my understanding that the chief difference between the BR's and the 200's is the skill of the assemblers and the quality control they are capable of providing.

That being said I think any new efforts to develop a primer for this disipline should follow the same course.

I've wondered for a long time if the anvil could be improved on.

As to the mix and the desired flash characteristics for ideal ignition?

I leave it to you.
JAGG

Post by JAGG »

I have had to change primers while i was working up a BP load ! And that is what got smaller groups for me with just changing the primer ! So if CCI can make something better yet for us , more power to them ! Hey at least they are interested with BP , and as they are making very good BP caps for muzzloaders that have improved my groups and hits on game ! Let them at it ! JAGG :idea:
JAGG
Bearbait2

Post by Bearbait2 »

Mr. Merritt,
If you don't mind my asking, what problems have you encountered due to the leading edge of CCI primers? Thank you.

Shoot Straight
Merritt

primer pocket

Post by Merritt »

Bearbait 2,

The edges of the CCI Mag primers are razor sharp little devils.

A short time ago I recieved a new shipment of my favorite brass. Starline". Starline has the tightest pockets in the business. That lot ran .207 x.130. and the primers were running .2109.
now we can always squeeze .002 for a number 2 fit and in this instance there was just about a 2/10 thousands tight spot "feeling" at the entrance to the pocket. What happened was a snap fit when seating the primer. I didn't like that. On investigation I found that that primer was cutting a mini wedding band of brass on its way in. Not enough to be a problem just a concern.
Subsequent primer seating in those pockets was flawless.

Some of the other brands of primers I had on hand didn't do this nor did did I have that kind of experience with WW Remington or Bell. I have had similar experiences with federal brass years ago.
I spoke with Mr. Hays at Starline about my observations. The combination of the tightest pocket in the business and the sharpest primer made the initial seating an interesting one.

If there were to be a BPCR primer. Given the variety of cartridges the variations in brass, the phases in forming annealing, full length or neck.
The conditions in the fired cases dirt, powder corosion, polishing residue.
AND the variances in shooter care of their brass.

I think that a pure BPCR primer could have a less severe leading edge.

But I'm sticking to what works best for me regardless of the product label.

Merritt